Latency, MIDI and wireless posibilities

ecc83

Following a thread in another place about MIDI '2.0' the idea of Blue Tooth wireless operation was mooted. I am pretty sure the latency with BT would render it unusable but I was interested to try wireless to control MIDI software?

The rig was elderly: AMD Ath ll 2 x250 4G ram W7 home 240G ssd. The soundcard?? A Behringer UF0202! 20 quid. I ran the demo of Modartts Pianoteq and setup 'Windows Audio' (Exclusive Mode) whatever TF that means! Showed a lowest latency of 4.4mS.

"No way" I thought but...WAY! The blues demo played out beautifully and I jazzed about with the trackpad on the Microsoft wireless kbd and nary a click. CPU hit maxed out at 30%.

Behringer claim "Ultra low latency" on the box. Seems they were not telling porkies!

The other side of this coin is of course, those that have problems with latency, be it slow response of nasty glitching can see that spending out on a 'Deep Thought' PC is not necessary and problems are more likely other things grabbing resources.

Dave.

My guess is the latency showing in WA was in the system itself, and did not include the wireless latency because there would be no way for the system to know that info.

My guess is the latency showing in WA was in the system itself, and did not include the wireless latency because there would be no way for the system to know that info.

Yes, I see that but the purpose of my exercise was to see if a wireless link to a MIDI generator could be fast enough to be practical? I could detect no delay twixt hitting the key and the piano sounding so, maybe bodes well?

Dave.

The only way to really tell is to play along with an existing track and monitor the recorded track through the DAW.

Back