Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jumping the CPU ship

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberiaslim View Post
    I agree. I actually have a hybrid setup a pretty eclectic one. I use analog boards, tape of different sizes, digital both stand alone stuff like dp24sd and tascam mx2424, and several daws.

I get paid to record bands, I use whatever I feel like using at the time unless they request something. I actually have young bands that are recording albums and insisted on going cassette tape start to finish, right now I’m using tascam 238’s I have several 4 tracks I can use but the 238’s sound nice. I enjoy using them, I enjoy rtr, I enjoy all of what I have.

If one way is better than the others I don’t know which one is the better one. I really dig em all even the daws.
    I think the dp24sd is fast easy and sounds great. Like you I’ve come full circle 2” 16 been there done that. Even though I get paid to do this I’m at a point I insist on having fun and fully enjoy what I’m doing. I don’t care if the bands have fun, only me lol
    I totally get it and have actually carefully selected all the gear I’m using. Sounds like you have too. ;-)
    It’s liberating imho

You are not alone, there’s a lot of us that not only feel the same but think the same. No right or wrong, just whatever way a person likes to work.
    Ah, but do you sometimes resort to 'practical' kit? I mean, if a band INSISTS they want it done on cassette do you secretly send a feed to an AI and lappy under the table?

I would. "Art for Art's sake" "Let's HEAR the fekker for F****s sake!"

Dave.

Thanks
    i was messing with a recording and by the time I was done with my "low skilled mixing"....I saw the pile of plugins on every track, so many plugins I cant even recall what is where and why ....

and it was mind boggling to me...to think every track was that bad? that I needed so many plugins to sound better?

and Im not even talking about editing due to playing skills being cobwebs and dusty.
    but this recent experience sure has me wondering about getting a better signal going in...you think?
    maybe a tracking approach that doesnt need 10 plugins on each track....lipstik on the pig as they say?

the thought of simple EMI..BEatles to Mic > Desk> comps > Tape makes me wonder and they didnt have 80 plugins per song and the recordings sounded pretty decent.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 962 Posts
    It depends what those plugins were doing...Stating the obvious.
    If you're stacking several eqs and gates and noise reduction plugins then, sure, there's stuff you can fix before the mic.
    If it's maybe an eq and comp and some time-based effects, distortions/saturation and that kind of thing then I don't see a problem.
    The Beatles may not have had 10 plugins on each track but I'm sure they were passed through hardware eqs, compressors, tape delays, plate reverbs, and who knows what else.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Ah, but do you sometimes resort to 'practical' kit? I mean, if a band INSISTS they want it done on cassette do you secretly send a feed to an AI and lappy under the table?

I would. "Art for Art's sake" "Let's HEAR the fekker for F****s sake!"

Dave.
    Lol No. No reason to do that. I might bu to hd or another copy of tape on tape but no secret agent stuff lol

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    They may not have had the luxury of "pluggins" back in the day but all I read tells me bands like Beatles, Queen, Floyd spent an INORDINATE amount of fekking around in the studios!

Dave.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    They may not have had the luxury of "pluggins" back in the day but all I read tells me bands like Beatles, Queen, Floyd spent an INORDINATE amount of fekking around in the studios!

Dave.
    Yes and lots of people to help!
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thread Information