Interesting articles

Binaural Recording

Amazing sound. Freaky, too.

Binaural Recording Techniques - The Complete Guide

I listened to a very small snippet on a YouTube headphone test and it freaked me out. It sounded exactly like someone was knocking on my studio's outside window which I was sitting next to. Since I'm on the 4th floor, I then assumed someone was knocking at my door. When I checked, no one was there. Then it dawned on me.. duh!

Unreal.

I have only given the article the briefest of shufties (and went straight to schematics!) but it seems to be re-inventing a wagon wheel to crack a nut to mix metaphors!

I have a problem with the 1k in series with the input. That will generate ~ -122dBu of noise. Low? Yes but follow that with say 55dB of gain and the noise output is -67dBu not, I would aver very state of art? Don't see the need for a shunt feedback amp at that point.

The text mentions D Self and indeed his "Padless Preamp" is pretty close to theoretical noise levels and uses just two low Rb transistors and three op amp sections. The op amps can be the very cheap TL072s but even better performance, drive power e.g. would be got from NE5532 or LM4562.

But, maybe I have missed something?

Dave.

I have only given the article the briefest of shufties (and went straight to schematics!) but it seems to be re-inventing a wagon wheel to crack a nut to mix metaphors!

But, maybe I have missed something?

Dave.
You got more than I did. I missed about 98% of it ?

Dates shown appear to be 2000 thru 2015, so don't know how out of date it might be.

dB or not dB..

I was looking for a simplified illustration of appropiately labeled mixer fader meters... because Reaper's Master has two scales with no printed indication of which dB they refer to. Of course, once you become familiar with them they're not really needed. But I like instant visual cues so I don't have to think about it.. too much.

Anyhow, this article popped up and is waaayyy more than I wanted to know.

Gain structure: input and output levels - Biamp Systems

Poor Recording?

It gets interesting when 'michaelgreenaudio' enters the fray.
He had some interesting things to say.
But you know, some people that call themselves audiophiles for many years have given me the distinct impression that they simply cannot enjoy music. Whereas the masses they look down on, can, because the masses can enjoy on any medium, whether it's a tinny radio or the best system in the universe or a cassette walkman, whether in a lift, a car or the bathroom with the shower on.
Some audiophiles are like people that can't love their kids because they like to play in mud and have smelly breath.

He had some interesting things to say.
But you know, some people that call themselves audiophiles for many years have given me the distinct impression that they simply cannot enjoy music. Whereas the masses they look down on, can, because the masses can enjoy on any medium, whether it's a tinny radio or the best system in the universe or a cassette walkman, whether in a lift, a car or the bathroom with the shower on.
Some audiophiles are like people that can't love their kids because they like to play in mud and have smelly breath.
I'm with you on this. I've got some extremely murky basement recordings of my old bands that I enjoy very much. I've also got my car radio set on AM with a "Talk Radio" EQ setting to make it sound like a tinny, single dash speaker of olde.

Back