Interesting articles

Could any of this be useful in a home recording setup without the expensive processors (Orban, etc.)?
Orban multiband radio station compressors are awesome. I think they have software versions. They make the material sound even. Depending on the genre of music they can be subtle to dramatic.

Limiter seemed to be STOP WALL.....so I never read as much about that. Compression and Bass and Vocals seemed to lead me to Opto comps for smooth, warm, pump...
the desired parameter is a fast attack. Faster the better.
I dont recall using a limiter for RMS loudness? or I did without knowing, but isnt that the Loudness Wars mastering guys talk about? SMASHING it, Flat Lining, ruining the Dynamics for a Louder obnoxious sound?

QUOTE-
Limiters are usually used to prevent a sound from going over a certain point, and they’re very good at doing that. They can also be used to increase the overall RMS loudness of a sound source, which can be quite useful on vocals in an extremely dense mix.
limiters are necessary. Like a bass, perfect example, a limiter will make the strings low to high even out to the same volume.

Not sure about the loudness wars mastering guys..I like demo's. Brainworx has the limiter demo on the product page and offer engineering video tips on their products. Watching them operate the VST shows you how to use it..

Last edited:
Back