How to record electric guitars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ya go man...

Exactly. Thanx

When you are a superstar, I'll value your opinion.......
the laughs at his expense, behind his back must be legendary.
You really enjoy putting your foot in your mouth, don't you. The laughs behind YOUR back must be legendary. :laughings:

First you say that until someone's a superstar, you don't value their opinion. Then you're claiming that people will laugh at someone who is one of the top session musicians on the planet? You're beyond a joke. You're a farce.

Yes, this is a home recording forum. So? Do you ever have a point? Or are you just a programmed robot throwing out meaningless cliches? By the way, the "superstar" session musician is recording in his home, Einstein.

Until YOU become a superstar, I'll look at you as nothing but a clown who likes to talk out of his ass. I'm not laughing behind your back. I'm laughing right at your face.

Hilarious.:D

When you are a superstar, I'll value your opinion. Dismissing everyone's opinion apart from your own just makes me smile.
I'm not dismissing everyone's opinion. Just yours, because yours is stupid. Had you said something sensible, made a valid point, then I'd respect your opinion. But in reality, you always say stupid things, and the cab rattling/too loud to play good comments cemented your fate as a moron.

I give in - all hail to Greg, he is the fountain of all things accurate and totally without any doubt at all.
In this case, yeah, that's true.

I'll just go out and order a nice big amp and huge cabinet and turn up - and that will be appreciated by just whom?
Well, anyone that listens to your music probably. If anyone does. They'll probably appreciate, or at least notice, your improved guitar tones.

Do you ever have a point? Or are you just a programmed robot throwing out meaningless cliches?

That's exactly what he's doing. Safe, scripted, canned expressions of nothing that paint everything gray. He's the worst kind of offender because he is totally useless. It's a plague of cliche in here. These fucks just spit boring generalities that don't actually say anything. At least I'll take a fucking stand for something. I'll stand up for amps, drums, pianos, fucking kazoos. Real people playing real instruments and making real sound. Real recordings done with real microphones. That's my stance. If that's a problem for these clowns, then fuck them. Sue me, ban me, call me an asshole. My recordings will not suffer at all because of it.

hahahahaha! Oh man! :D :D

I was sitting here trying to get moving after a HARD 5 days of gigging and laughing my ass off did the trick!
:laughings:

This is some good stuff right here!!

Lt Boob uses SaxFX! :D
that's right! Sometimes if I use a real sax it gets to vibrating and shit and that's frightening.
is it a tornado? maybe fireants?
I just don't know and how can I emote when I'm worried about scarey sounds?.

So I grab my trusty Casio sax and *wham* .... immediate peace and serenity.
Nice digital textures with none of those pesky dynamics or responsiveness that requires you to pay attention to what you're doing.

:)

Well this was entertaining, but I must go for now. I've got some real drums to record. I know that might be way beyond the scope of understanding for a few of you, but it is what it is. I won't be drawing, or writing my drums. There will be no keyboards or MIDI cables involved. It will be hands and feet and sticks flying all around. There will be some sweat. Some sticks might pay the ultimate price. And yeah, it will be very loud. I sure hope the noise doesn't affect my performance.

---------- Update ----------

that's right! Sometimes if I use a real sax it gets to vibrating and shit and that's frightening.
is it a tornado? maybe fireants?
I just don't know and how can I emote when I'm worried about scarey sounds?.

So I grab my trusty Casio sax and *wham* .... immediate peace and serenity.

:)

:D nice. Lol @ fire ants. .

I don't have anything against using ampsims/software, I use it myself, but did you notice what's in that guy's rack that isn't even turned on??? See if you can spot it....

Got it - took me a while, but finally got there. It's the Laurel and Hardy show.

Laugh as much as you like, it's not much different from rain, doesn't worry me in the least. I've reconsidered the original statement, here is version 2.

How to record electric guitars (well, some of them)
Use a real amp - preferably one with tubes - On stage, maybe, in the studio, maybe - whatever is needed for the sound you want.
Turn it up as loud as you, your neighbors, and the law can stand - stupid! Maybe even deranged and certainly antisocial.
Mic the speaker(s) - any preference? A 57 to squash it a bit, or maybe a condenser for the hiss up top?
Press record - can't argue with this one
Play well - or at least try hard!
Done - hardly!

EDIT
Just watched the video - actually quite a neat idea, dropping his speaker cables down - I even see his point. Can't argue with that whatsoever. I love his kind of star trek mission control with the rotating seat. Totally get this one - so thanks for the video link.

lol... this is fun.

As some one who daily talks to guitarists both pro and hobbyists, gigging and recording I can not recall once in 35 years one of them praising the merits of a sim or direct tone over an amp and using it properly. I guess they choose to have their guitars made and repaired by digital nano bots so they have no need of my services...

---------- Update ----------

you don't know how to have fun do you?

Does it have anything to do with a frozen chicken and canoe paddle?

Got it - took me a while, but finally got there. It's the Laurel and Hardy show.

Laugh as much as you like, it's not much different from rain, doesn't worry me in the least. I've reconsidered the original statement, here is version 2.

How to record electric guitars (well, some of them)
Use a real amp - preferably one with tubes - On stage, maybe, in the studio, maybe - whatever is needed for the sound you want.
Turn it up as loud as you, your neighbors, and the law can stand - stupid! Maybe even deranged and certainly antisocial.
Mic the speaker(s) - any preference? A 57 to squash it a bit, or maybe a condenser for the hiss up top?
Press record - can't argue with this one
Play well - or at least try hard!
Done - hardly!

EDIT
Just watched the video - actually quite a neat idea, dropping his speaker cables down - I even see his point. Can't argue with that whatsoever. I love his kind of star trek mission control with the rotating seat. Totally get this one - so thanks for the video link.

Your version is the generic, scripted, idiot, "yeah, maybe, sort of, whatever, blah blah blah" version that enables shitty tracks. Good job!

Greg - thanks you liked it, I've been looking at people who don't use amps by the way - and if the words might not be quite long enough for you to feel truly superior, there's some stuff on dweezilzappaworld.com that shows how piles of amps have shrunk to a couple of processors, DI'd to the PA system - I know it's not recording, but it shows not everyone follows the 'rule'.

What's your absolute rule on bass? Same thing, or is DI ok for them?

Greg - thanks you liked it, I've been looking at people who don't use amps by the way - and if the words might not be quite long enough for you to feel truly superior, there's some stuff on dweezilzappaworld.com that shows how piles of amps have shrunk to a couple of processors, DI'd to the PA system - I know it's not recording, but it shows not everyone follows the 'rule'.
I'm already superior. I don't need to "feel" it from interacting with a clueless doof like you. I could show you about umpteen million guitarists that use amps. Wanna trade? I mean you got Dweezil, so cool, right? But you go ahead and do whatever Dweezil does. I'm sure he appreciates your hero worship.

What's your absolute rule on bass? Same thing, or is DI ok for them?
Do you really want to know? Or are you just being kunt again?

No, just wondering if I could stand listening to more of the slurry that you use instead of common sense. You're not going to change your opinion, and oddly - I can understand that. I just object to your assertion you are right and everyone else is wrong - there are always options - but not in the world according to greg. I don't think I've ever met somebody with such an ego but worse, a mega sized chip on your shoulder. Sparring is no fun when the other party can't put their case without being rude, arrogant, and having to resort to bad language - which as us English have a saying about. I won't repeat it, because you wouldn't believe that either. If you cut the personal abuse and bad language, maybe I'd listen - but you're just not batting on a full wicket.

No, just wondering if I could stand listening to more of the slurry that you use instead of common sense. You're not going to change your opinion, and oddly - I can understand that. I just object to your assertion you are right and everyone else is wrong - there are always options - but not in the world according to greg. I don't think I've ever met somebody with such an ego but worse, a mega sized chip on your shoulder. Sparring is no fun when the other party can't put their case without being rude, arrogant, and having to resort to bad language - which as us English have a saying about. I won't repeat it, because you wouldn't believe that either. If you cut the personal abuse and bad language, maybe I'd listen - but you're just not batting on a full wicket.

That's what's so funny about this - I don't care what you think enough to have a discussion with you about it. I don't care if you don't agree with me! I don't care what your fucking limey sensibilities think about it. You've already proven yourself as a clueless goofball with your very first post in this thread, so why on earth would I entertain your opinions? That's common sense. And so is using an amp for guitar tracks.You know, an amp, the device that all of your gizmos are trying to emulate. And let's get one thing straight here - I never said everyone else is wrong. I'm saying YOU are wrong. Just you. You specifically. You are wrong. In this scenario, I am right, and you are wrong. Deal with it. I'm sure in your half-assed little ipod world of silent tracking you think you've beaten the system, but you haven't. The basics still rule the day. Sound hitting a microphone still trumps all.

My God you change your stance like a politician!
Really? And once again, you put your foot in your mouth. Dude, just give up already, you're clutching at straws.

Name of the thread: "How to RECORD electric guitars.

Rob said:
shrunk to a couple of processors, DI'd to the PA system - I know it's not recording....
So, what's the relevance then? I've read Greg saying on more than one occasion that he can understand why someone would use sims live. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the original intent of this thread. Talk about "Changing stances". :eek:

So, the best you can do is to reference someone who uses them live? That's it? I think you should stop now and go take a nap. You're in way over your head....as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back