View Poll Results: Do You Use A Separate Headphone Amp For Recording?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • The interface's 1 output is sent to the person being recorded - I don't monitor using headphones.

0 0%
  • The interface's 1 output is used by me - the person being recorded doesn't use headphones.

0 0%
  • The interface's single output is split with a Y-cable so we both can use headphones.

0 0%
  • The interface has 2 outputs - that's enough for everything I do.

0 0%
  • I use an external headphone amplifier with my interface to provide extra headphone outputs.

14 87.50%
  • Other (please leave a comment if you check this)

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headphone Amplifier Use

Thanks

Headphone Amplifier Use

Sign in to disable this ad
    In situations where you are acting as the recording engineer (RE) and recording someone else, how do you handle headphone monitoring needs vs. your available headphone outputs? (If you never record anyone but yourself, feel free to post a comment, but don't respond to the poll [edit] unless you actually have a headphone amp attached to your interface - then follow up with why!)
    Last edited by keith.rogers; 11-16-2018 at 17:38. Reason: change voting instructions (in case anyone actually reads them)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    It varies with any project. I use a Presonus HP60 that has an insert for each headphone channel. Sometimes that is needed for a critical listener, but usually I use the same mix for everyone.

In my drum room however, I have a separate mixer that I can send whatever the loud bastard needs and he can make his own mix.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    I have a little 4 channel headphone amp in front of my interface's only output.
    It's not ideal but I guess it's where most HR types fall?

I've used full monitoring systems where every performer has his own control mixer/panel.
    That's pure badass, but I think I'd rather have that, or what I have...Nothing in between.

Any time I've used a system where a headphone submix is available but control of it is back at the DAW, all of a sudden everyone has super important special requirements.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Any time I've used a system where a headphone submix is available but control of it is back at the DAW, all of a sudden everyone has super important special requirements.

RIGHT! I try not to mention the possibility...
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    RIGHT! I try not to mention the possibility...
    666 thanks? The gratitude of the beast!
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    666 thanks? The gratitude of the beast!
    Haha!

Thanks
    I have a snake with 16 sends and 4 returns that I feed from aux/group sends on my interface/digital desk. I also have sends going from there to a Mackie 1604 which gives me another headphone out. I tend to have the drummer(or if I'm the only one recording at the time)use the headphone out from the desk/interface since I find some drummers I have had over liked a very different mix in the phones which I can live with. I wouldn't mind having one of those q mix headphone jobbies but good lord if you've ever priced a system Since a four output is pretty cheap I figure if I ever need more I can slap one in pretty easily in my setup. My desk has groups and "matrix's" plus I have the 1604 configured just as a monitor switcher so with my little setup I don't think I'll need much more.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I use Motu interfaces with Cuemix software. I set up each headphone mix into separate output pairs. 1&2 mix to singer, 3&4 mix to guitar player, 5&6 to bass, etc. each interface pair is then sent to the input of that performers headphone amp. That way each performer can get exactly what they want in their headphones. The interface outputs and headphone inputs, and other I/O are ran through the patchbays.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toastedgoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    While each of my converter boxes has a dedicated headphone output w/volume (I'll often use that if it's only me and I'm using the DAW)...I tend to use my dedicated S-Phone headphone amp/distro box, which has 4 channels, and can also accept Aux inputs...and then I also have multiple Redco Little Red Cue Boxes, each which have 4 headphone outputs w/volume.
    If I need to get real crazy with separate cues mixes, I can always do that through my console, which have 8 Aux busses.

So I have a lot of flexibility and can cover a good number of headphones with personalized mixes if needed...but I rarely need to get that crazy.
    At most...I'm maybe adding some additional Aux input to the S-Phone if I need to add or "filter" out some of the mix of a given cue mix for one person or two. Whenever I've used multiple headphones in a tracking situation, everyone is mostly OK with one global mix.

If you offer too many variables...everyone will want them....so keep it simple, and usually after a couple of passes people are set with their headphone mix. It's often just a matter of the overall level being adjusted for each person, bot not so much a need for personalized cues mixes...except when Madonna comes over!!!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    While each of my converter boxes has a dedicated headphone output w/volume (I'll often use that if it's only me and I'm using the DAW)...I tend to use my dedicated S-Phone headphone amp/distro box, which has 4 channels, and can also accept Aux inputs...and then I also have multiple Redco Little Red Cue Boxes, each which have 4 headphone outputs w/volume.
    If I need to get real crazy with separate cues mixes, I can always do that through my console, which have 8 Aux busses.

So I have a lot of flexibility and can cover a good number of headphones with personalized mixes if needed...but I rarely need to get that crazy.
    At most...I'm maybe adding some additional Aux input to the S-Phone if I need to add or "filter" out some of the mix of a given cue mix for one person or two. Whenever I've used multiple headphones in a tracking situation, everyone is mostly OK with one global mix.

If you offer too many variables...everyone will want them....so keep it simple, and usually after a couple of passes people are set with their headphone mix. It's often just a matter of the overall level being adjusted for each person, bot not so much a need for personalized cues mixes...except when Madonna comes over!!!
    HAHA! Yeah, like I said I conveniently forget to mention the options unless asked for.

Loved my S-Phone until it went to poop. The Presonus seems to sound as good. Way better than the noisy Behri HA4700. That thing was loud as hell, but the distortion was horrible.
    Last edited by jimmys69; 11-20-2018 at 17:00. Reason: Oops, I think it was the HA4700

Thread Information