Headphone Amplifier Use

Do You Use A Separate Headphone Amp For Recording?

• The interface's 1 output is sent to the person being recorded - I don't monitor using headphones.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The interface's 1 output is used by me - the person being recorded doesn't use headphones.

• The interface's single output is split with a Y-cable so we both can use headphones.

• The interface has 2 outputs - that's enough for everything I do.

• I use an external headphone amplifier with my interface to provide extra headphone outputs.

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Other (please leave a comment if you check this)

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use a Rane HC-6 and it's loud... to loud. But to be honest I would rather have way to much on hand gain than not enough, but to be honest I think I would blow out my headphones if I ever turned it up all the way. It's painful to me past 12 o clock (seriously).

My interface has 2 headphone outputs, and they are nowhere near as nice or have even a quarter of the output gain of the Rane.

That said, while yeah I could hook up headphone mixes with it, I don't because I have not found a situation where it was needed to date. There are TRS stereo inputs and outputs for every channel on the amp however I don't use them and every channel out is the same master stereo input.

Rane give a very comprehensive table of the power into phones of various impedances. Something I have not seen any other cans amp mfctr do, BIG props to Rane!
Rane suggest that these maxima will deliver some 120dB into most common headphones, a level you should not experience for more than a few seconds and some phones, e.g. my K92s would probably exceed even 120dB. Some sums get me a likely output resistance* for the Rane amp of about 15 Ohms. This is at least 1/2 the OPR for most H/P amps but I can see their logic for a "professional" device. I am very pleased to see they have not gone the (daft IMHO) route of claiming a zero OPR is needed for "proper" headphone reproduction. Such a low source R is, IMHO both compromizing to the amplifier's design and potentially dangerous to the users hearing.

*Not "impedance", usually a pure, phyisical resistance.

Dave.

Back