Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you come across bands online you thought were great, but had no following?

Thanks

Have you come across bands online you thought were great, but had no following?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have this happen on soundcloud a lot. I'll post them here as I come across them as I can't remember them all off the top of my head.

Here are a few I remember:

Mike Simmons. It's alt-rock/Wilco type stuff with great vocals.
    https://soundcloud.com/mike_simmons

Pega Monstro is a cool band with consistently good pop-rock songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2HjKm3HOE
    Their bandcamp has all solid material. https://pegamonstro.bandcamp.com/

Then I ran into Shelley Miller on youtube last night, and thought she had a really fun, cool song with amazing vocals. I'm not sure about the rest of their catalog as I haven't had time to delve into it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCqkXEnQUJc

Oh, and this guy, Andrew Huang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAgG...Y&noredirect=1
    That's a pretty awesome rap and vibe.

Anyway, I thought we should have a thread for good, unknown artists who we bump into! Maybe these people will get some attention they deserve. Any genre or style is fine.
    Last edited by Nola; 06-27-2016 at 12:35.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 890 Posts
    Here's the thing with places like Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Reverbnation..etc....and this is strictly my take.

Just about everyone who goes to these places are people who are there to promote and post their own stuff.
    Some may through other musician sites and social media be able to drive a lot of hits to their pages, and then you get the so-called "following"...but that isn't just about how "great" they sound...it's just interwebs hits/likes...same shit you see on Facebook.
    I mean...when you see someone with 10,000 likes/friends...do you really think they actually have a fanbase of that size that follows them around?
    It's a lot of click-through stuff...and the funny thing...it's become some sort of "gauge" by many, who think the number of hits is directly related to how "great" they are.

Which is why you also have really good sounding music, with almost no hits.

Some of these folks spend countless hours generating "friends" and "likes" and "hits" on the interwebs...but honestly, at the end of the day, what does it really mean to the artists?
    How many are directly seeing some sort of windfall from all those "friends/likes/hits"...?

The other thing...everyone who posts music, is mostly interested in their own music.
    Sure...we all take a listen occasionally, but at the end of the day...we tend to be more focused on what we are doing (if we are doing anything) than following other artists as a "fan".
    Not to mention...there are WAY too many artists posting stuff, so it's not unusual for many to also go by unnoticed, regardless of music quality...which goes back to what I said above...you need to spend a lot of time on the interwebs cultivating all those "friends/likes/hits" if they mean something you.

With You Tube...all you need is to post a really dumb video, the stupider the better...and they will flock to it.

At least that's my take.

All that said...if you want to have an "artist" thread with links that people add when they come across something really good...that's fine.
    It should probably be in the Marketing/Promo forum though...

Thanks
    Miroslav, I don't understand your post in relation to the thread. I asked if people could share names, links, videos of artists they run into who they think are good and deserve more attention than they get. You are talking about something totally different.

Thanks
    I'm just commenting on why some people have thousands of likes and why you also see many who don't regardless of their "greatness"...since you raised that point. That's the relation.

I said it's fine to post links to music....though they should probably go in a different forum.

Thanks
    I see.

Back to the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfQ94EXIpTc

This is awesome. It was posted on reddit a while ago and got a ton of hits from that. It turns out the guys are somewhat known in their local jazz circle, but before reddit/youtube they were unknown to the masses.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Miroslav, I don't understand your post in relation to the thread. I asked if people could share names, links, videos of artists they run into who they think are good and deserve more attention than they get. You are talking about something totally different.
    kind of what I thought too. oh well.

I'd say that I've seen lots of good stuff online in random places, but I don't ever really look at what their following is. I wouldn't know if they had 10 fans or 1mil. I just don't think to check that part of the page out. I remember I liked a dude on YouTube who did strictly covers until he starting getting bigger and was able to draw attention to his originals. Argh, can't remember the name. And YouTube is locked at work right now. He was a 20-something guy with 50's style glasses and did those videos where he gets a shot of playing all the instruments and places them in the video all at once. He is very talented and has a great voice.

Boyce Ave was another one. This was like 10 years ago though. Both of those people have gotten rather big (relative term) since then.

EDIT: woah. so the guy was Alex Goot. And he did a collaboration with Christina Grimmie in 2010. I had no idea until just now, but that was The Voice girl who was just killed. That's crazy. That was one of the first videos she did...way before she got famous. How weird. I wouldn't have known that was her if it weren't for this thread. ha. I really liked that song they covered - i remember she had a great voice

these are mostly cover people though, not so much originals.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to andrushkiwt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You guys tend to be rather singularly focused and seem to get too easily tripped up by tangent discussions.

Nola brought up a point about the lack of hits for some better music.
    I simply commented on that...and my opinion on why.
    It was/is all relative to his observation. There's no reason why that should be so confusing.
    Like when people put up a poll with choices...and all anyone needs to do is pick a choice, and that's it...
    ...yet even simple poll threads end up also having broader discussions about the central topic.

You also didn't post any links...rather you gave some comments about the central topic.

Though again, I don't think the User Contributions forum is the right place for posting links to other people's music.
    It would be best done in the Marketing/Promo forum....IMO.

Thanks
    ok
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    I guess nobody listens to other peoples' music? lol

Anyway, these guys are awesome (like 1:30 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Y8ElRpvQk

I remember going to a baseball game a long time ago and the best guitarist i ever saw to this day was a homeless busker outside with some battery power speaker attached to his back playing a beat up guitar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    I guess nobody listens to other peoples' music? lol
    Does that really surprise you?

Thread Information