Guitar Whistling Noise

Aaabii

Hi I play a Stratocaster with Seymour Duncan SSL-1's in neck and middle and a atomic hambucker in bridge. ı play through a UAD arrow into a MacBook Pro using amp sims. There is a high pitched whistling sound in the guitar signal.
I don't think its the guitar since I tried unplugging the cable and I can hear the same sound just by touching the tip of the cable.
The sound is not present with the Macbook Unplugged from power and with a Schecter hell raiser loaded with emg pickups.
Tried shutting down all the lamps and electronic devices with no solution.

A short recording of the sound is attached.

Waiting for your help.
Thanks

Attachments

• Whistle.mp3
    466.8 KB · Views: 18
So what’s the process of elimination you’ve done so far? You’ve ruled out the guitar but it doesn’t do it with a different guitar (the Schecter)?

So what’s the process of elimination you’ve done so far? You’ve ruled out the guitar but it doesn’t do it with a different guitar (the Schecter)?

The problems occurs only when the laptop is connected to the main and with the Stratocaster. I don't know if its the active circuit of the other guitar but its silent.

I tried shutting down all the electrical devices but that didn't change anything.

Could this be the usual single coil noise most Strats produce? Does the noise vary with distance from computer.. or rotation angle of guitar?

Question for anyone : can one of these single coils be rewired opposite of the other to humbuck?

Could this be the usual single coil noise most Strats produce? Does the noise vary with distance from computer.. or rotation angle of guitar?
No. i unplugged the cable from the guitar and just by touching the tip of the cable I hear the exact same noise. The single coil hum that we all know is there and it changes with the angle - distance etc . And I am not disturbed with that. There is a high pitched sound "in" the signal that comes and goes which can be heard at the last part of the attached file.

Oooo! That's messy!

If you hadn't said it was something decent I would have put that spectrum down to a ***t converter of the type you get in cheap ass mixers.
Can you try recording at different sample rates? I assume you are running 24 bits?

Could be some form of digital 'ground loop' but I confess I don't see how.?

Dave.

Attachments

• spect whistle.png
    spect whistle.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 8
Back