Greg's general guide to rock drums for NEWBIES!

Finding out how people do their thing is one of the best ways of learning in this "crazy hobby" of ours. If something has worked for someone, I tend to feel it's generally workable at some point. The thing I like about this piece is that it comes from someone that tends to come across as hugely opinionated on almost everything, yet, often, beyond all that are some really quite challenging and valuable insights.
I feel that there are so many different drum sounds and ways of getting those sounds and this piece, without a doubt is required reading for those looking at different ways, particularly because it doesn't claim to be the only or rightest way. I also like the fact that it takes into account different grades of kit, less than ideal rooms and poverty !

Finding out how people do their thing is one of the best ways of learning in this "crazy hobby" of ours. If something has worked for someone, I tend to feel it's generally workable at some point. The thing I like about this piece is that it comes from someone that tends to come across as hugely opinionated on almost everything, yet, often, beyond all that are some really quite challenging and valuable insights.
I feel that there are so many different drum sounds and ways of getting those sounds and this piece, without a doubt is required reading for those looking at different ways, particularly because it doesn't claim to be the only or rightest way. I also like the fact that it takes into account different grades of kit, less than ideal rooms and poverty !

Thanks a lot. :)

You can also regularly hear my drums in action in the mp3 clinic.

thanks!

Thanks so much for writing this. It helped put things in perspective for me as a drummer. I'm starting out my home studio with vdrums, but hope to record real drums someday, and you've given me the confidence to attempt it.:D

Thanks so much for writing this. It helped put things in perspective for me as a drummer. I'm starting out my home studio with vdrums, but hope to record real drums someday, and you've given me the confidence to attempt it.:D

Sure, do it. Real drums are the way to go! :D

Yeh...space is my biggest hindrance as far as drums go. I plan on buying a house with a nice loft/attic space soon after I am married. One day...one day....:D

Thanks for taking the time to type this up and post it. As I've heard somewhere before, the best way to learn is to teach someone! When I've had to articulate something to share with someone, it's made me look at things in a new way, and sometimes reevaluate my views or methods.

Wow, just stumbled on this post. I don't have a real drum set, or a way to record it yet, but if I ever do, I at least have a blueprint for getting decent drum sounds. Thanks for taking the time to do this Greg.

Great post. I started reading it for some tips but realised I already do most of the things you recommend, lol. Although I don't have any condensers yet - they're next on my list. I've always wanted to record drums well. I don't know if this has been mentioned, but good cymbals are a must.

Great post, Greg! I may have to mic up my son's band's drummer sometime in the future and this thread will make for a great guideline. That took a lot of time and effort to write up, and it's much appreciated!!!

Any kit can record well. Will a $300 Sound Percussion sound like a $15,000 DW? No way. But with good tuning, good mic placement, and a little patience, just about anything will record just fine.

Correct...but even moreso, a great drummer can sound great on almost anything too. Submitted for your amusement:

Prop's to you Greg! I don't think I could have said it any better myself. Engineers don't get enough credit for all the pain that goes into getting a good drum sound.:)

Back