Free 520mb Steinway Piano Soundfont

Jonky-Ponky

This is my first post. I actually came to this forum looking for tips, and recommendations on good soundfont (sf2) files and it has been very useful.
Anyhow I have spent a bit of time perfecting a really nice Steinway Grand Piano Soundfont I found from this site New Horizon Orchestra
so I thought I would share it here.
The licence is Creative Commons (sharable) provided the author is acknowledged. Licence Creative Commons ? Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported ? CC BY-ND 3.0
My amendments include adding two new presets (Steinway Bright and Steinway Classic) as well as some improvements to the velocity switching.

You can download the zipped version (264mb) from here:
https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
(Edit: Now linked to my webpage which will be updated from time to time)

I have the full versions of Korg Module and iGrand as well as a $4000 Korg keyboard but I must say my favorite piano is now this free Steinway.

If you are using iPad or iPhone and you don't have a soundfont player I can highly recommend bs-16i from Bismark which you can download from the app store for about $15 and midi connect via apple camera connection kit.

The Steinway is astounding in detail (every note is sampled and some samples are over 60 seconds in length!). It feels very natural to play and is quite dynamic over different velocities.
I have run it on both the iPhone 6s and the ipad air2 and it performs without latency.
I'd be interested to hear your comments on this soundfont.
Cheers,
John

Last edited:
Good job, i like your Classic preset, this is to my knowledge the best free piano available in sf2 format.
The ones i used have the advantage over this one of being very "light" (15 to 43 mo) but don't reach the same quality of sound.
Are you only interested in piano samples or do you happen to have like me an sf2 library of various instruments ? Sharing/exchanging them would be interesting .
Cheers, Eric.

Eric,
I'm starting to get a good collection of quality free soundfonts and I'm currently working on a really nice acoustic guitar soundfont that I will share shortly.
BTW I've just now uploaded a new version (v4) of the free piano that has some subtle improvements including a little more brightness for very heavily played notes in the Classic Steinway. The new link is in the first post.
Regards,
John

Thanks John for improving the Classic Steinway, looking forward to listening to your guitar.
I wish i could help but i am afraid i am only good at "hunting" sf2 samples on the net !
You probably won't need it but let me know if you feel like trying any of my samples, who knows there might be some that you haven't grabbed yet.
Cheers, Eric

OK here is the Acoustic Guitars soundfont (sf2) file that I've been working on and am really quite excited about.
Its got various presets using some nice Acoustic Steel guitar samples courtesy of Keith Smith Keith Smith.ca - Home (thanks Keith!).
Presets include Steel, Nylon and 12 String Guitars. I've also modified and included a couple of other freely available guitars to provide a broad choice of acoustic sounds.
The uncompressed file is 88mb while the zipped download is 46mb. Download from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4e90einj7rj0v4/Acoustic Guitars JNv2.4.zip?dl=0
[Last update v2.4 includes fret noises, increased range and fixed some rattling notes]
I might start a new thread for the guitars soundfont as this is now buried under the piano soundfont thread.
Cheers and hope you enjoy.
John

Last edited:
Back