Firefox any users?

ecc83

I was told some weeks ago that I had to change from Int Explorer to another browser and Firefox was one option.

It is ok...ish but will keep locking me out of some sites I have used for years without trouble. One such is Duncanamps a valve data site. I get...

"Cannot connect, site not secure" or some such shit (can do a screen grab if anyone wants) I go back to IE and yes, that tells me the site is dodgy but at least gives me the option of ignoring the warning.

Can anyone help this 1.2 eyed, meds ridden old fool?

Dave.

I use it since XP and nowadays also on my smartphone. Great browser. I love it ever since.

What your encountering is a security feature. The site simply isn't secure for some kind off reason. Mostly because it's certificate is overdated.

If your totally sure that the site you are visiting is a trustable one, you could click on the option allowing visiting it at this moment.
If it's some strange far site which you don't know i advice you to never do that. This warning is not there for nothing. Trust more on firefox than a website.

I also suggest to use a good scriptblocker add-on. Makes firefox even more secure.

Where is the "allow option"? IE give it (not recommended) but not FF that I can see? Whilst I have your ear?? How do I set my Home Page to what I want please? IE was <Options then "set current"> simples!

Dave.

Are you on XP, Dave?

I wish! No, have been exclusively W7 for years now. Took me quite a while to get to grips with seven and there are still things I find annoying* but generally it is a really stable OS.

I bought my son a W10 (pro) laptop because 2020 is not that far off and I did not want him to have the cost and hassle of converting. Plus I am guessing he will see more and more W10 systems as time goes by?

*Like: if you paste a file on the desktop it does not go where you want it to..then some days it does! W7 relentlessly stores files a-z and I would find it easier to have "last in at the bottom". "You have files waiting to be burned to CD" Ok, WTF are they!??

Dave.

IE is the number one browser for downloading other browsers.

I stopped using Firefox when it updated about 6 months ago. It would hang up the entire computer. I use Chrome now, with no problems.

Interesting. Figured you were on XP because you'll be hard pushed to find a browser for XP, these days, which doesn't give constant security warnings/errors.

Is this issue happening with most sites and common use sites like google etc, or just the occasional?
I don't get an issue with DuncanAmps on my current computer but I have a win7 box upstairs with FF and IE on it. I'll give it a whirl later. :)

Interesting. Figured you were on XP because you'll be hard pushed to find a browser for XP, these days, which doesn't give constant security warnings/errors.

Is this issue happening with most sites and common use sites like google etc, or just the occasional?
I don't get an issue with DuncanAmps on my current computer but I have a win7 box upstairs with FF and IE on it. I'll give it a whirl later. :)

No, I don't get many warnings and the few I do get are "strangers" and I just don't bother with them but Duncsamps I have used in IE for years and never a blip.

I might give Chrome a do soon. I only ever use Google to search so that makes sense. I did try Chrome a couple of years ago and IIRC there was YTube stuff it would not play?

Dave.

Chrome works with YouTube just fine. There is a good possibility it didn't work on several occasions because the video could have been pulled or it was not allwed in certain countries. I've seen that happen.

I switched to Chrome a few years ago when IE wouldn't load this site properly. There were many customized changes I had to make to get Chrome to behave more like IE, AND, I had to conform a little myself, but once done, it has worked good ever since.

Firefox?? Not impressed.

Hey briefly speaking of amps, Dave, have you ever heard of Hayden Amps?? The two guitar players in my band play through them and they sound great.

Google (or perhaps Alphabet) owns YouTube, so they've probably got the play issues worked out there.

I only use Firefox/Ice-Weasel on Unix. I used to use it a lot on Windows but when I found Safari initially annoying I switched to Chrome and so have been assimilated. (I do use Safari for a specific set of user account/domain stuff, but only because toggling accounts in Chrome is not convenient - now, if they supported dual accounts, somehow...)

No, I don't get many warnings and the few I do get are "strangers" and I just don't bother with them but Duncsamps I have used in IE for years and never a blip.

More likely the issue is with the particular sites then, I think.
Not sure there's much you can do about it at your end.

I know what you mean, though. Some browsers have a fairly convenient 'continue anyway' option, and some bury it a little deeper.

I think you'd be getting the same deal on HR, had Nico not made some changes a while back. See here.

I might give Chrome a do soon. I only ever use Google to search so that makes sense. I did try Chrome a couple of years ago and IIRC there was YTube stuff it would not play?

There's usually some sort of teething process with any browser switch.
Hopefully someone here can help you through if you run into anything like that again. :)

I used Firefox for awhile when I still had an XP computer and couldn't update IE to any newer version...but I didn't care for Firefox all that much.
There are endless updates, and I find that they have too many security features that just make basic use of Firefox a pain in the ass.
When it doesn't like a site, it's always a struggle.

Now days I use IE 11 with Win 7 across all my online computers as my main browser, but I also have Chrome as my secondary browser, because some things are starting to not work with IE 11...and I have no plans to install Win 10 any time sooner.
So I bounce between IE and Chrome...and I don't bother with Firefox at all anymore.

Personally, I like FireFox. I was always a Netscape user, too. But, Firefox can be memory intensive. I don't have any music computers online, so that's not an issue. I have Win 8.1 on a 64 bit computer.

I have had to re-setup FireFox to the way I like it a few times after a computer crash, because I consider some of the default things strange. I'm kind of anal about where things are and FireFox allows me to move things around. Not saying other browsers don't do that, but I've kind of gotten use to FireFox. I also use Thunderbird for my emails and have a massive setup of filters created to send particular emails to various folders I've created. That was handy when looking for a job. I created an email account to use for any incoming job searches. And when no longer looking for a job, I just deleted the email account. Sweet!

FireFox does have a fairly robust way of keeping you out of some sites that it thinks are bad. Like it has already been said, it could be something as simple as the certificate is out of date. It could also be something you experienced last time you were there and it was saved in a cookie or something in the browser history. Clearing that out could be all you need to do. I think there is also an exception area where you can list sites you say are OK, but it sure gives you some serious warnings, when you do that. It thinks you are making a mistake by going against its suggestions.

If you decide to keep FireFox, it's pretty easy to set up what your home page will be. I can post a couple of screen prints that will get you into set up where you can do most of that. Also, that's where you can set up your search engine list and some default questions to things that could also maybe fix some of your problems. Also, that's where the security settings are. You can also download some things from their known safe add on list that can maybe be more intuitive, user friendly or whatever.

I don't think IE is the way to go, but Chrome could be OK, or another small footprint browser, if you want. I have IE installed, as well as Chrome. Some things just work better with those browsers. I found many coders will just code for IE and that is disturbing. They can make something very fancy, but not tell you it's looking for certain codes that only IE knows about. I have noticed that with some government sites and small time agencies who think they have things really fancied out, but fail to tell you that it only works with IE.

I had one situation recently. I won't go into detail with who it was, but it was related to a Medicare agent (not Medicare itself). They sent me this fancy thing that I had to fill out on line and then send the filled out form back to them. They even gave me step by step instructions to follow. Well, it didn't work. I tried more times than I want to say, each time I got NOTHING. I got smart and went into this deal in IE. I had to fill out all of the information again, but guess what? It went correctly the first time.

I've also noticed some sites that don't look the same or correctly, when looking for a job, or some government sites that all seem to assume everybody still uses IE. So, I keep it installed, just in case. Netscape was always the underdog, so I have learned that FireFox is still considered an unknown to some sites. But, for the most part, it has really moved out in front of IE, if you ask me.

When I had XP, I was FORCED to use a "safer version" of FireFox, because they were acting like my big brother, since XP was no longer a valid version of Windows. That was a pain and I tried other browsers during that time. But with this current version on my 8.1 Windows and 64 bit, I haven't had any issues. I know moving from one browser to another is a learning curve that some just see as a big pain in the keester.

Windows 7 and firefox here. No issues in over a decade. However, firefox is starting to be a pain in the ass wirh it's automatic updates. Maybe I can figure out how to defeat that.

Phone has chrome for a browser. Pretty happy with that.

There is an option in setup that allows you to decide on updates. See attached.

Yes, FF keeps asking to update, at THE most inconvenient time of course! In any case, with the "Bowling Ball" effect W10 updates has and the recent disaster that Cleaner has become I resist all updates save those for W7, Samplitude Pro x 3 and Reaper.

RAM? Yes! just checked, FF grabs a gig more than the old IE at 3.59G. Good job I had an extra 4G fitted in this laptop else FF would barely leave me anything left from the original 4G!

Might give Chrome a do later.

Dave.

Once upon a time IE had like 95% of the browser market share due to the ubiquity of the Wintel PC. The tanking of that business thanks to iPads/iPhones and their Android followers has put a dent in the browser monopoly, but coders still like to try to only do things once if they can get away with it ;)

The maddening thing about it was that earlier versions of IE, in particular, did not correctly implement HTML/CSS/et al completely correctly, never mind they even used their own scripting languages only comprehended by IE. Coding for "correct" browsers (which is still probably a point of argument) actually meant that your page wouldn't render correctly on IE, "i.e." most of the browsers likely to hit it. This naturally slowed down adoption of the competitors until the other devices started shifting the tide. Today, if you are using any latest browser version, most pages should render correctly, but there's always an outlier or two.

I really find Chrome to generally be compatible across operating systems/devices and works fine without extensions for everything. Almost all the "innovations" on other browsers these days are simply adoptions of Chrome features (IMO). I'm not a Google fanboy, but I do think they've done a good job on getting the "browser wars" on a more equal footing.

Yes, FF keeps asking to update, at THE most inconvenient time of course! In any case, with the "Bowling Ball" effect W10 updates has and the recent disaster that Cleaner has become I resist all updates save those for W7, Samplitude Pro x 3 and Reaper.

RAM? Yes! just checked, FF grabs a gig more than the old IE at 3.59G. Good job I had an extra 4G fitted in this laptop else FF would barely leave me anything left from the original 4G!

Might give Chrome a do later.

Dave.
I use to work at a place that had Chrome as their default browser for all users. They went to near extreme measures before doing that, so I'd say Chrome isn't a bad choice.

As for FireFox updates, I've never had a problem. Sometimes, I will go into the browser, and get a message that says "updating" or something similar. It never lasts more than a minute or so and then I'm up and running. Now, I also worked at a place were we used one computer for all of our necessities and it had Win 7 on it, until somebody made the mistake of saying "yes" to a free upgrade to Win 10.

Since I worked the night shift, I was always the lucky one to experience Win 10 updates and let me tell you, they lasted a very long time. And this was bad for me, because I needed to use the computer for work. Of course, it would always warn you not to turn the computer off during the update and you wanted to abide by that. But, it would take a long time and sometimes hang in the middle so you had to hard boot the poor computer.

Then, it would start the update all over again, and you'd cross your fingers that it would actually complete that time around. And even if it did, there were more than a few times when the computer didn't want to finish it's initial testing after the update and I'd end up booting again, hoping it would go that time. And after it would boot, I would do a couple of warm boots, just to make sure it was working again.

Seriously, I don't know if it was just that computer and Win 10, or if other people had issues with updates, too. It did have some strange propitiatory software on it. Talk about headaches, when you're the only person in the place and you're having to deal with things like that. I had work to do!

We didn't have any trouble, with Win 7. On my home computers, I have a couple that still have XP because of the software installed. But they don't connect to anything online, so everything is happy. Like I said, this computer is 8.1 and while it has things I don't like about it, the updates always seem to work and they don't take too long...maybe 10-15 minutes, at the most.

I have it set to do the updates when I shut down or restart. That work computer with Win 10 was never shut down, except to restart it. It was used 24/7 so there was never a good time to do the updates. 2 AM was what it was set for and it would sometimes be 4 AM before the computer was usable again. Thankfully, I don't work there any more. Some other poor sole has to deal with it. Sorry, I don't mean to take the thread away from the OP, but I feel better, now that I got that out of my system. LOL.

Back