Do you ever have some days when ...

bluesfordan

absolutely everything sounds like shit, nothing seems to come together nicely and that you were totally wasting your life in the pursuit of a good recording?

Nah, me neither :)

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE

oh, alright, yes I do have those days. Thankfully not very often. Sometimes I sit at the computer for about 2 hours and at the end of the session have absolutely nothing worth saving. I do admit to having high standards and higher expectations. Sometimes I get something down and listen to it the next day trying to find something in it to draw a positive from. Other times I close a session I thought went well, listen the next day and go "meh, not what I thought it was." Other times I'll close a session because it's getting late and listen to it the next day and be pleasantly surprised.

Ears can be funny, finicky critters, I swear.

Some days I will pick up a guitar and my hands seem to think it's something new that they haven't a clue how to operate. Humans are funny things, ears included. I used to could work this thing right?:confused:

Strange story. Sometimes that happens to me when I practice guitar. I feel like I'm just learning again. I own lots of great guitars like many of you. One of them is the Rickenbacker 325. All I have to do is pick up that guitar and play it for a while.......and then......magically.......I can play my others with no problem. The 325 is a (very) short scale with decent string tension and is not at all easy to play for many reasons.....mostly due to its size and pickup and control setup. I love the 325 for its sound though. So........that's my remedy for brain to finger problems. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
By the way, it's never wasted lifetime if you sit at pc and delete it after 2 hours. Your subconscious will always be happy for some input. Maybe it helps to do it like me. Before I sit in a session at pc, I go youtube to get inspiration. So for guitarrists I would prefer George Lynch . If you watch him play and don't get inspired I don't know. For electronic music I would listen to some asian Funk. No joke. Tatsuro Yamashita, Masayoshi Takanaka, Toshiki Kadomatsu, Hiromasa Suzuki and Casiopea are great musicians to give some descent input. No joke, try it! ;)

I mostly record songs I write and I have kind of the opposite problem. Recording the song is part of my writing process. When I am in a song I always feel like it is the best song I have ever written and maybe this will be the one that gets a big response from the world. After I put it down for a while I come back to it and find my feelings about it have changed....generally for the worse. I may think it is garbage. However, if someone responds positively, especially someone I respect, then I see it in a whole new light and love it again. Yes, I know, it is exhausting. Either way, I start a new song as soon as the last one is mixed.

... I go youtube to get inspiration. So for guitarrists I would prefer George Lynch . If you watch him play and don't get inspired I don't know. For electronic music I would listen to some asian Funk. No joke. Tatsuro Yamashita, Masayoshi Takanaka, Toshiki Kadomatsu, Hiromasa Suzuki and Casiopea are great musicians to give some descent input. No joke, try it! ;)

I also go to YouTube for some energy and inspiration with Seatbelts - Live. They do the soundtracks for the Cowboy Bebop anime and are especially good when they have Mai Yamane sit in to sing a few.

watch?v=Og_bxZ3UbEI

watch?v=C-sYFirfywY

Last edited:
I also go to YouTube for some enregy and inspiration with Seatbelts - Live. They do the soundtracks for the Cowboy Bebop anime and are especially good when they have Mai Yamane sit in to sing a few.

watch?v=Og_bxZ3UbEI

watch?v=C-sYFirfywY

Didn't know them... Ty!

Yep, there are days when I play or sing like I'm drunk or lazy, or just shitty! Alas.. I laugh about it and kill it the next day as if to say, "don't fuck wit me"

I also go to YouTube for some energy and inspiration with Seatbelts - Live. They do the soundtracks for the Cowboy Bebop anime and are especially good when they have Mai Yamane sit in to sing a few.

watch?v=Og_bxZ3UbEI

watch?v=C-sYFirfywY
I found these guys from an Anime FLCL:YouTube

all the time. feels like most of the time i write, its never any good. but the 5% of the time, it passes for "okay" -one day i'll write something great :)

Back