Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever have some days when ...

Thanks

Do you ever have some days when ...

Sign in to disable this ad
    absolutely everything sounds like shit, nothing seems to come together nicely and that you were totally wasting your life in the pursuit of a good recording?

Nah, me neither

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE

oh, alright, yes I do have those days. Thankfully not very often. Sometimes I sit at the computer for about 2 hours and at the end of the session have absolutely nothing worth saving. I do admit to having high standards and higher expectations. Sometimes I get something down and listen to it the next day trying to find something in it to draw a positive from. Other times I close a session I thought went well, listen the next day and go "meh, not what I thought it was." Other times I'll close a session because it's getting late and listen to it the next day and be pleasantly surprised.

Ears can be funny, finicky critters, I swear.

Thanks
    Some days I will pick up a guitar and my hands seem to think it's something new that they haven't a clue how to operate. Humans are funny things, ears included. I used to could work this thing right?
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    I think every real musician should have this feeling from time to time. Not to have it, would be the result of deadlock.

Thanks
    Strange story. Sometimes that happens to me when I practice guitar. I feel like I'm just learning again. I own lots of great guitars like many of you. One of them is the Rickenbacker 325. All I have to do is pick up that guitar and play it for a while.......and then......magically.......I can play my others with no problem. The 325 is a (very) short scale with decent string tension and is not at all easy to play for many reasons.....mostly due to its size and pickup and control setup. I love the 325 for its sound though. So........that's my remedy for brain to finger problems. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Mickster; 05-12-2018 at 07:16.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    By the way, it's never wasted lifetime if you sit at pc and delete it after 2 hours. Your subconscious will always be happy for some input. Maybe it helps to do it like me. Before I sit in a session at pc, I go youtube to get inspiration. So for guitarrists I would prefer George Lynch . If you watch him play and don't get inspired I don't know. For electronic music I would listen to some asian Funk. No joke. Tatsuro Yamashita, Masayoshi Takanaka, Toshiki Kadomatsu, Hiromasa Suzuki and Casiopea are great musicians to give some descent input. No joke, try it!

Thanks
    Always thought Takanaka was badass.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    I mostly record songs I write and I have kind of the opposite problem. Recording the song is part of my writing process. When I am in a song I always feel like it is the best song I have ever written and maybe this will be the one that gets a big response from the world. After I put it down for a while I come back to it and find my feelings about it have changed....generally for the worse. I may think it is garbage. However, if someone responds positively, especially someone I respect, then I see it in a whole new light and love it again. Yes, I know, it is exhausting. Either way, I start a new song as soon as the last one is mixed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajhmere View Post
    ... I go youtube to get inspiration. So for guitarrists I would prefer George Lynch . If you watch him play and don't get inspired I don't know. For electronic music I would listen to some asian Funk. No joke. Tatsuro Yamashita, Masayoshi Takanaka, Toshiki Kadomatsu, Hiromasa Suzuki and Casiopea are great musicians to give some descent input. No joke, try it!

I also go to YouTube for some energy and inspiration with Seatbelts - Live. They do the soundtracks for the Cowboy Bebop anime and are especially good when they have Mai Yamane sit in to sing a few.

watch?v=Og_bxZ3UbEI

watch?v=C-sYFirfywY
    Last edited by spantini; 05-17-2018 at 00:33.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 890 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Paul View Post
    ... I start a new song as soon as the last one is mixed.
    I start 5 new songs before I even start mixing the first one.

In about 10 years, I will suddenly have 500 songs all mixed-n-finished... "in a matter of days".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesfordan View Post
    absolutely everything sounds like shit, nothing seems to come together nicely and that you were totally wasting your life in the pursuit of a good recording?
    Isn't that normal? That's every day for me.

Thread Information