the demise of Windows 7

ecc83

I have 2 desktop and one i3HP laptop running W7. They also have various music softwares on them but the main one is Samplitude Prox 3. I do not want to "upgrade" any of them to ten so I shall kill the network systems and just use them off line. I am also in the process of finding a S/H W10 laptop but my requirements are rather special so that is a bit of a trial. Still, go a while yet!

Now, the laptop and a pretty quick AMD 6core tower will stay off the net but I also have a clunker in my living room that runs my printer and displays on a 40" JVC FSTV. That I shall leave on the net as an experiment. I can pull any data of it that might be valuable so if (when?) it goes TsU I shall have lost nowt.

The LR tower has an SSD in it so should I need to install W10 eventually it will be the best option of the three.

I shall report the proceedings as they unfold!

Dave.

Windows 7 won't die. it'll go on running. It just won't get updates after the deadline for it. I don 't fully get your point when taken with the thread title? You sound as though you're expecting W7 computers to stop working when Microsoft withdraws support, and that's not so.

Windows 7 won't die. it'll go on running. It just won't get updates after the deadline for it. I don 't fully get your point when taken with the thread title? You sound as though you're expecting W7 computers to stop working when Microsoft withdraws support, and that's not so.

No, I said "demise" not inflagration! Yes, W7 will run quite happily even when updates stop but any computer that is on the net will eventually (I am so informed) get "got" by something it was not proofed for.
My LR PC actually connects to the net rarely except for updates and these are not automatic, I can choose to have them (e.g. I have not updated Ccleaner for at least a year because they are I am informed playing silly buggers?) I shall just leave that PC as it is and see how things roll out, any any wiggles I shall report.

I do not want to risk my other two machines on the web once support stops because I have them as I want them and do not want them changed.
I do NOT want to put W10 on them becuase I do not want the hassle of possible driver problems.

I already have problems with this HP lappy and Ms IE11. I mostly use Firefox now but there are things that it won't do that IE 11 does. Might have a bash with Chrome?

Dave.

No, I said "demise" not inflagration! Yes, W7 will run quite happily even when updates stop but any computer that is on the net will eventually (I am so informed) get "got" by something it was not proofed for.
My LR PC actually connects to the net rarely except for updates and these are not automatic, I can choose to have them (e.g. I have not updated Ccleaner for at least a year because they are I am informed playing silly buggers?) I shall just leave that PC as it is and see how things roll out, any any wiggles I shall report.

I do not want to risk my other two machines on the web once support stops because I have them as I want them and do not want them changed.
I do NOT want to put W10 on them becuase I do not want the hassle of possible driver problems.

I already have problems with this HP lappy and Ms IE11. I mostly use Firefox now but there are things that it won't do that IE 11 does. Might have a bash with Chrome?

Dave.

I detest Win10 so much that I just keep current backups of all three of my systems so if some day I do get a virus I just have to swap hard drives, erase the bad copy the good and back to work. 4 TB spinners are going for peanuts these days so figure no reason not to have a current complete system back up at all times.

I detest Win10 so much that I just keep current backups of all three of my systems so if some day I do get a virus I just have to swap hard drives, erase the bad copy the good and back to work. 4 TB spinners are going for peanuts these days so figure no reason not to have a current complete system back up at all times.

An that is a perfectly valid solution. My W7 "music" PCs will not however need to be on the internet well, maybe the occasional update from MAGIX but I am hoping either I can download that or, just loging on for that one site will be safe.

I need a modest W10 machine basically just for internet and "office" work and as I said, W7 is already a bit clunky.

Dave.

Same here.

When they stopped active e support of XP...I kept using it for 2-3 years afterward, and never had a problem...but at my day gig, upgrades at some point became mandatory and were forced on everyone, though even there, I was probably the last guy at work to finally stop using XP...which was kinda funny, considering my job was IT, and I had to push Win7 on the rest of the users that were in my part of the organization. :D
The network guys finally put a "cease and desist" on any XP machines, so I couldn't get on the network with it anymore. :p

I had a second laptop with Win7 on it for awhile, so I was prepared for the forced switch...but at home, I used the XP machine for 2-3 more years, and then having been on Win7 at work for a good amount of time, I finally decided to abandon XP also at home and also on my DAW, and moved everything over to Win7.

I don't deal with the work IT stuff anymore...but I'm still on Win7 at home. I have it on 3 laptops, and my DAW, which runs offline.
I keep one of the laptops as a backup...and I use the other two interchangeably, and keep the same files on both...so if one goes down, it's not a big deal, plus I keep backup images.

The funny thing with the XP use beyond the Microsoft EOL...once people were forced to switch to Win7...and now Win10...the hackers all ignored XP, because they knew there weren't going to be many. I think it will be the same when Win7 goes EOL at MS. :)
That said, I know I will at some point move off Win7, at least for my internet laptop(s)...and I think just about the time Win7 goes EOL...MS will probably be pushing Win 11 (or whatever they call it.).

Well my main Pro Tools rig is licensed for 7 and 10 so when I have to I will upgrade. I also use WIn10 at work and that's why I can safely say I dislike it.

I will admit I don't like Mac OSX either. The whole "library" paradigm ticks me off, as does the mobile "app" style of Win10.

I still have two perfectly working G4's, one with Pro Tools 5.3 installed networked with a G5 on some old OS with Cubase light for sequencing and though I can access the internet on them if I want, the browsers are so ancient most pages just don't show up!

I skipped WinXP completely. I had Win2000 until that machine died, then I moved to a Dell with Win7. That machine was upgraded to Win10 without issue. I did have to do a clean Win7 install when the hard drive died, and shortly after that I did the upgrad to Win10. I never looked back.

The machine I use for recording is a Win10 Lenovo with Reaper, and it runs fine. I also have my Cyberlink Video Editor software on there.

I spend a fair amount of time on my Win7 laptop but don't use that for much except internet and a few other minor duties. I took that computer with me when I traveled for work. Now that I'm retired, it sits with me by the Lazy Boy. When Win7 sails off to the sunset, I'll probably swap this laptop to Linux and MAYBE buy a new Core i7 laptop.

Unfortunately, upgrading OS software is a fact of life. I'm been dealing with it since Windows 3.0. There are boxes downstairs with OS2, DRDOS, Novell, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Win NT, Win ME, and Win 2000. I guess Win7 will join them soon.

No, I said "demise" not inflagration!
Dave.

Yep: I understand about the lack of support for 7.

Meantime, I'll just leave this here.

"demise
/dɪˈmʌɪz/
noun
a person's death.
"Mr Grisenthwaite's tragic demise"
synonyms: death, dying, passing, passing away, passing on, loss of life, expiry, expiration, end, departure from life, final exit; "

John

PS Are you on Samplitude. If so, have you reached Pro 4x yet?

Yep: I understand about the lack of support for 7.

Meantime, I'll just leave this here.

"demise
/dɪˈmʌɪz/
noun
a person's death.
"Mr Grisenthwaite's tragic demise"
synonyms: death, dying, passing, passing away, passing on, loss of life, expiry, expiration, end, departure from life, final exit; "

John

PS Are you on Samplitude. If so, have you reached Pro 4x yet?

"Don't get technical with me R2!" Pro4 X ? No and won't unless they do the same deal they did with X3. My son and I "grew up" with MAGIX Studio gen 3 and then saw a free Sam SE 8 in a rival sound magazine. Very much the same processes as G3 but much expanded and virtually trouble free whereas G3 was always a bit twitchy? I think it was wriitten pre XP?

Anyhoos we battled on and tried Reaper (bought it) but Sam always seemed more logical somehow. The bargain version of ProX 3 was just too good to miss.

Dave.

"Don't get technical with me R2!" Pro4 X ? No and won't unless they do the same deal they did with X3. My son and I "grew up" with MAGIX Studio gen 3 and then saw a free Sam SE 8 in a rival sound magazine. Very much the same processes as G3 but much expanded and virtually trouble free whereas G3 was always a bit twitchy? I think it was wriitten pre XP?

Anyhoos we battled on and tried Reaper (bought it) but Sam always seemed more logical somehow. The bargain version of ProX 3 was just too good to miss.

Dave.

My history much the same, first version was S9 from a magazine. I picked up pro X4 for £149 a few weeks back, kept getting emails offering it ... seemed too good to turn down.

"Don't get technical with me R2!" Pro4 X ? No and won't unless they do the same deal they did with X3.

Well...you missed it.
They did the X4 deal twice already....first time it was for recent buyers of X3 at $200, where they gave X4 for free...then they did X4 to anyone for $150.

I picked up the X4 Suite on the second deal....but haven't even thought of installing it.
Heck...I have X1, X2, X3 Suite, X4 Suite...and I'm still just using X1. :p Too lazy to go through the installation anguish...though everyone is saying the most recent X4 patches really make it a worthwhile upgrade. I've been downloading the patches as they are released.

X2 was a dog...and then apparently a lot of folks had issues with X3...so I just sat back and watched, but kinda pissed off I spent the money on them.
It's the price of doing business. The real reason I picked up X4 was because I think it may be the last Samplitude version that will support Win7.
Considering that MS is dropping support early next year...I doubt that the developers are going to put out X5 in say, 2-3 years, and still worry about backward compatibility.
That said...you can probably still run the current versions on XP, but you will lose some things....like for starters, 64 bit capability, and probably a good deal of plugs...etc...so anyway, I figured if I got X4, I can stay on Win7 for a long, long time with my DAW and not worry about anymore upgrades.
Not to mention...there is the possibility that the next version of Samplitude might be a complete revamp from the ground up...and that will certainly not be a fun time, nor will it be backward compatible, at least not to where the devs will worry about making it so....and by then we might be seeing Win 11.

Well...you missed it.
They did the X4 deal twice already....first time it was for recent buyers of X3 at $200, where they gave X4 for free...then they did X4 to anyone for $150.

I picked up the X4 Suite on the second deal....but haven't even thought of installing it.
Heck...I have X1, X2, X3 Suite, X4 Suite...and I'm still just using X1. :p Too lazy to go through the installation anguish...though everyone is saying the most recent X4 patches really make it a worthwhile upgrade. I've been downloading the patches as they are released.

X2 was a dog...and then apparently a lot of folks had issues with X3...so I just sat back and watched, but kinda pissed off I spent the money on them.
It's the price of doing business. The real reason I picked up X4 was because I think it may be the last Samplitude version that will support Win7.
Considering that MS is dropping support early next year...I doubt that the developers are going to put out X5 in say, 2-3 years, and still worry about backward compatibility.
That said...you can probably still run the current versions on XP, but you will lose some things....like for starters, 64 bit capability, and probably a good deal of plugs...etc...so anyway, I figured if I got X4, I can stay on Win7 for a long, long time with my DAW and not worry about anymore upgrades.
Not to mention...there is the possibility that the next version of Samplitude might be a complete revamp from the ground up...and that will certainly not be a fun time, nor will it be backward compatible, at least not to where the devs will worry about making it so....and by then we might be seeing Win 11.

Actually I have seen X4 on this laptop on offer when I do a boot from fully off but had forgotten. I don't need it so won't spend £140 on it.

MAGIX do seem to have re-invented the wheel with each iteration of Sam 9,10, 11? I bought the magazines and installed them as they came out. SO different from 8SE! I no longer use them but do use 8se for recording radio on this laptop. I have Samplitude Silver that has the very useful MP3 encoder in it.

My son uses ProX 3 on W10 so I hope that will stick a while?

Dave.

I've been on windows 10 since 2016, it's been great. The only issues I run into are unstable m-audio drivers and TBH it's because I should really upgrade my stupid interface since it's hardware that has been discontinued for some time now (profire 2626). M audio no longer releases updated drivers so yeah.

No biggie. It should have been gone already but MS already exrended support for an extra two years. Time is up. No more updates but will function as it does now. Also, orinters and devices will not have drivers for Win 7 anymore. I believe its been around nearly 10 years so it is long past its time. Windows 95 came out in 95 and just 3 years later, Win 98 was release. Windows ME in 2000 and Windows xp in 2002. That is 4 OS’s in 7 years. 5 in 10 years if you want to include Vista.

My history much the same, first version was S9 from a magazine. I picked up pro X4 for £149 a few weeks back, kept getting emails offering it ... seemed too good to turn down.

Dont do it! I upgraded to Pro X4 on Friday and ha e had nothing but problems. I cannot use it at all. I am denanding my money back and will deactivate. I dont want to hijack the thread.

I've got my music computers on XP with no Internet. Not only did that free up more memory for other things, I think the computers got a little faster. One is a quad 4 processor, and the other is a dual processor, and I haven't had any issues at all.

Because I'm not on the Internet, I don't get hounded by Microsoft or anybody else. I use Firefox and was forced into using a less than desireable version they had, because I was still on XP. This computer I'm on now, was also on XP and this is the one that gave me the most hassle.

Garmon also told me that they couldn't send me any more updates to my GPS, because I was using an unsafe and outdated OS. I bit the bullet and got another quad 4 processor and even went 64 bit and win 8.1. I had to update some software, but mostly my 32 bit stuff still works.

The problem with the music computers, many of my drivers won't work on anything past XP I've got a fairly massive library of VSTs that wouldn't work if I upgraded and my recording hardware driver doesn't work with anything past XP. I wish I could have at least gone past XP and into the OS where 8 gig was seen as actually 8 gig, but I'm getting by. Maybe someday I'll splurge and upgrade to something newer, but I think I'm going to have to find me a copy of 7.0 or 8.1, because I've used 10 in other systems and don't like it.

But, after saying that, if all of my stuff worked under Win 10, I'd be OK with that. I just hate Microsoft, because they force you to upgrade, whether you want to or not. Then everybody jumps onto the band wagon and assumes the OS is likely to be infected with viruses, because it's no longer updated. Everybody follows Microsoft's lead and Microsoft is getting all of that money from upgrades. Did I say I hate Microsoft?

No FAN of Ms myself Fingerz but I have to question the logic here?

Noone for instance would suggest one go on the internet without virus protection? Taking that as ok, said VP must be up to date?

Now, AFAIK Ms send out updates partly to keep the OS safe on'tweb? I therefore see no difference in running W7 (say) on the internet when updates cease than running XP now? It is not just Ms that are saying 7 will be vulnerable, everyone I know and respect in the audio industry says the same.

Of course, if you kill internet on your PCs you are dead safe. That is what I intend to do! Now to keep looking for that 15", 8G i5 with an SSD...And all for under £300!

Dave.

Back