Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: the demise of Windows 7

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    9,979
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 666 Times in 630 Posts
    Rep Power
    9279082

    the demise of Windows 7

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have 2 desktop and one i3HP laptop running W7. They also have various music softwares on them but the main one is Samplitude Prox 3. I do not want to "upgrade" any of them to ten so I shall kill the network systems and just use them off line. I am also in the process of finding a S/H W10 laptop but my requirements are rather special so that is a bit of a trial. Still, go a while yet!

    Now, the laptop and a pretty quick AMD 6core tower will stay off the net but I also have a clunker in my living room that runs my printer and displays on a 40" JVC FSTV. That I shall leave on the net as an experiment. I can pull any data of it that might be valuable so if (when?) it goes TsU I shall have lost nowt.

    The LR tower has an SSD in it so should I need to install W10 eventually it will be the best option of the three.

    I shall report the proceedings as they unfold!

    Dave.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    214751
    Windows 7 won't die. it'll go on running. It just won't get updates after the deadline for it. I don 't fully get your point when taken with the thread title? You sound as though you're expecting W7 computers to stop working when Microsoft withdraws support, and that's not so.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    9,979
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 666 Times in 630 Posts
    Rep Power
    9279082
    Quote Originally Posted by Coquet-Shack View Post
    Windows 7 won't die. it'll go on running. It just won't get updates after the deadline for it. I don 't fully get your point when taken with the thread title? You sound as though you're expecting W7 computers to stop working when Microsoft withdraws support, and that's not so.
    No, I said "demise" not inflagration! Yes, W7 will run quite happily even when updates stop but any computer that is on the net will eventually (I am so informed) get "got" by something it was not proofed for.
    My LR PC actually connects to the net rarely except for updates and these are not automatic, I can choose to have them (e.g. I have not updated Ccleaner for at least a year because they are I am informed playing silly buggers?) I shall just leave that PC as it is and see how things roll out, any any wiggles I shall report.

    I do not want to risk my other two machines on the web once support stops because I have them as I want them and do not want them changed.
    I do NOT want to put W10 on them becuase I do not want the hassle of possible driver problems.

    I already have problems with this HP lappy and Ms IE11. I mostly use Firefox now but there are things that it won't do that IE 11 does. Might have a bash with Chrome?

    Dave.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    HOUSTON, TEXAS
    Posts
    872
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 147 Times in 131 Posts
    Rep Power
    798998
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    No, I said "demise" not inflagration! Yes, W7 will run quite happily even when updates stop but any computer that is on the net will eventually (I am so informed) get "got" by something it was not proofed for.
    My LR PC actually connects to the net rarely except for updates and these are not automatic, I can choose to have them (e.g. I have not updated Ccleaner for at least a year because they are I am informed playing silly buggers?) I shall just leave that PC as it is and see how things roll out, any any wiggles I shall report.

    I do not want to risk my other two machines on the web once support stops because I have them as I want them and do not want them changed.
    I do NOT want to put W10 on them becuase I do not want the hassle of possible driver problems.

    I already have problems with this HP lappy and Ms IE11. I mostly use Firefox now but there are things that it won't do that IE 11 does. Might have a bash with Chrome?

    Dave.
    I detest Win10 so much that I just keep current backups of all three of my systems so if some day I do get a virus I just have to swap hard drives, erase the bad copy the good and back to work. 4 TB spinners are going for peanuts these days so figure no reason not to have a current complete system back up at all times.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    9,979
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 666 Times in 630 Posts
    Rep Power
    9279082
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    I detest Win10 so much that I just keep current backups of all three of my systems so if some day I do get a virus I just have to swap hard drives, erase the bad copy the good and back to work. 4 TB spinners are going for peanuts these days so figure no reason not to have a current complete system back up at all times.
    An that is a perfectly valid solution. My W7 "music" PCs will not however need to be on the internet well, maybe the occasional update from MAGIX but I am hoping either I can download that or, just loging on for that one site will be safe.

    I need a modest W10 machine basically just for internet and "office" work and as I said, W7 is already a bit clunky.

    Dave.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,692
    Thanks
    300
    Thanked 868 Times in 757 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    I detest Win10 so much that I just keep current backups of all three of my systems so if some day I do get a virus I just have to swap hard drives, erase the bad copy the good and back to work. 4 TB spinners are going for peanuts these days so figure no reason not to have a current complete system back up at all times.
    Same here.

    When they stopped active e support of XP...I kept using it for 2-3 years afterward, and never had a problem...but at my day gig, upgrades at some point became mandatory and were forced on everyone, though even there, I was probably the last guy at work to finally stop using XP...which was kinda funny, considering my job was IT, and I had to push Win7 on the rest of the users that were in my part of the organization.
    The network guys finally put a "cease and desist" on any XP machines, so I couldn't get on the network with it anymore.

    I had a second laptop with Win7 on it for awhile, so I was prepared for the forced switch...but at home, I used the XP machine for 2-3 more years, and then having been on Win7 at work for a good amount of time, I finally decided to abandon XP also at home and also on my DAW, and moved everything over to Win7.

    I don't deal with the work IT stuff anymore...but I'm still on Win7 at home. I have it on 3 laptops, and my DAW, which runs offline.
    I keep one of the laptops as a backup...and I use the other two interchangeably, and keep the same files on both...so if one goes down, it's not a big deal, plus I keep backup images.

    The funny thing with the XP use beyond the Microsoft EOL...once people were forced to switch to Win7...and now Win10...the hackers all ignored XP, because they knew there weren't going to be many. I think it will be the same when Win7 goes EOL at MS.
    That said, I know I will at some point move off Win7, at least for my internet laptop(s)...and I think just about the time Win7 goes EOL...MS will probably be pushing Win 11 (or whatever they call it.).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    HOUSTON, TEXAS
    Posts
    872
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 147 Times in 131 Posts
    Rep Power
    798998
    Well my main Pro Tools rig is licensed for 7 and 10 so when I have to I will upgrade. I also use WIn10 at work and that's why I can safely say I dislike it.


    I will admit I don't like Mac OSX either. The whole "library" paradigm ticks me off, as does the mobile "app" style of Win10.

    I still have two perfectly working G4's, one with Pro Tools 5.3 installed networked with a G5 on some old OS with Cubase light for sequencing and though I can access the internet on them if I want, the browsers are so ancient most pages just don't show up!
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Derby City
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    24147
    I skipped WinXP completely. I had Win2000 until that machine died, then I moved to a Dell with Win7. That machine was upgraded to Win10 without issue. I did have to do a clean Win7 install when the hard drive died, and shortly after that I did the upgrad to Win10. I never looked back.

    The machine I use for recording is a Win10 Lenovo with Reaper, and it runs fine. I also have my Cyberlink Video Editor software on there.

    I spend a fair amount of time on my Win7 laptop but don't use that for much except internet and a few other minor duties. I took that computer with me when I traveled for work. Now that I'm retired, it sits with me by the Lazy Boy. When Win7 sails off to the sunset, I'll probably swap this laptop to Linux and MAYBE buy a new Core i7 laptop.

    Unfortunately, upgrading OS software is a fact of life. I'm been dealing with it since Windows 3.0. There are boxes downstairs with OS2, DRDOS, Novell, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Win NT, Win ME, and Win 2000. I guess Win7 will join them soon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    214751
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    No, I said "demise" not inflagration!
    Dave.
    Yep: I understand about the lack of support for 7.

    Meantime, I'll just leave this here.

    "demise
    /dɪˈmʌɪz/
    noun
    1.
    a person's death.
    "Mr Grisenthwaite's tragic demise"
    synonyms: death, dying, passing, passing away, passing on, loss of life, expiry, expiration, end, departure from life, final exit; "

    John

    PS Are you on Samplitude. If so, have you reached Pro 4x yet?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    9,979
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 666 Times in 630 Posts
    Rep Power
    9279082
    Quote Originally Posted by Coquet-Shack View Post
    Yep: I understand about the lack of support for 7.

    Meantime, I'll just leave this here.

    "demise
    /dɪˈmʌɪz/
    noun
    1.
    a person's death.
    "Mr Grisenthwaite's tragic demise"
    synonyms: death, dying, passing, passing away, passing on, loss of life, expiry, expiration, end, departure from life, final exit; "

    John

    PS Are you on Samplitude. If so, have you reached Pro 4x yet?
    "Don't get technical with me R2!" Pro4 X ? No and won't unless they do the same deal they did with X3. My son and I "grew up" with MAGIX Studio gen 3 and then saw a free Sam SE 8 in a rival sound magazine. Very much the same processes as G3 but much expanded and virtually trouble free whereas G3 was always a bit twitchy? I think it was wriitten pre XP?

    Anyhoos we battled on and tried Reaper (bought it) but Sam always seemed more logical somehow. The bargain version of ProX 3 was just too good to miss.

    Dave.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Demise of Pawn Shop viability
    By BroKen_H in forum Prime Time
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 08:01
  2. Despite rumors of my demise....
    By AL P in forum Prime Time
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 08:07
  3. 'Eye of Demise' Instrumental Metal Tuneage
    By rockonin in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 10:48
  4. "A Study On The Demise Of Deer In My Woods"
    By queepy in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 14:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •