the demise of Windows 7

My music computer is still running W7 - do you really think that at some internet connected time, an automatic update or 'shutdown' could happen? I only connect for other updates. I have some older software (that I prefer using rather than new s/w) that will not run on W10.

My music computer is still running W7 - do you really think that at some internet connected time, an automatic update or 'shutdown' could happen? I only connect for other updates. I have some older software (that I prefer using rather than new s/w) that will not run on W10.
Just like they did with XP, EVERYBODY will eventually stop supporting Win7. Of course, Microsoft will stop supporting it first, then, eventually, others you associate with such as your browser and other things you get regular updates for will eventually stop, saying because Win7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, they can't support it either.

You can try to keep using it, as I tried to keep using XP, but it seems like everybody assumes you are going to be a virus carrier or something new they will send you just won't work with Win7 because of no updates.

You'll be perfectly fine with Win7, if you are able to disconnect from the Internet and keep using it, but because everybody knows what OS you have, these days, staying connected will eventually classify you as something similar to a nomad.

Like I said, I was forced by Firefox to use a browser version that was limited, because I still had XP installed, and Garmon GPS stopped sending me updates to my GPS, saying they no longer supported XP. This is the type of thing you can expect, if you want to keep Win7 AND stay connected to the Internet. Disconnect that computer and run as a stand alone, and you'll be fine.

Not sure Mike whether you are formulating a question of concern or challenging my post? My position is that I don't fekkin know! I have this laptop and a second computer just as I want and need them running W7. I do not want to risk "something" crashing in that causes me to have to format and re install. I did catch a trojan a few years ago (UPS like attachemnt) and I don't want to go through that misery again.

Easiest solution therefore, for me, is to just get a W10 laptop for internet duties.

Dave.

Just like they did with XP, EVERYBODY will eventually stop supporting Win7. Of course, Microsoft will stop supporting it first, then, eventually, others you associate with such as your browser and other things you get regular updates for will eventually stop, saying because Win7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, they can't support it either.

You can try to keep using it, as I tried to keep using XP, but it seems like everybody assumes you are going to be a virus carrier or something new they will send you just won't work with Win7 because of no updates.

You'll be perfectly fine with Win7, if you are able to disconnect from the Internet and keep using it, but because everybody knows what OS you have, these days, staying connected will eventually classify you as something similar to a nomad.

Like I said, I was forced by Firefox to use a browser version that was limited, because I still had XP installed, and Garmon GPS stopped sending me updates to my GPS, saying they no longer supported XP. This is the type of thing you can expect, if you want to keep Win7 AND stay connected to the Internet. Disconnect that computer and run as a stand alone, and you'll be fine.

As I said, I only connect for updates (like downloading a VST, that type of thing). I haven't updated Reaper in ages, as I haven't found any need to do so. I even transfer/upload any music files by sending them to a USB drive first. (Creating a backup, too).

Not sure Mike whether you are formulating a question of concern or challenging my post? My position is that I don't fekkin know! I have this laptop and a second computer just as I want and need them running W7. I do not want to risk "something" crashing in that causes me to have to format and re install. I did catch a trojan a few years ago (UPS like attachemnt) and I don't want to go through that misery again.

Easiest solution therefore, for me, is to just get a W10 laptop for internet duties.

Dave.

Ok, fair enough. I have a Win10 for internet and other things.

Back