Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: the demise of Windows 7

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    No FAN of Ms myself Fingerz but I have to question the logic here?

Noone for instance would suggest one go on the internet without virus protection? Taking that as ok, said VP must be up to date?

Now, AFAIK Ms send out updates partly to keep the OS safe on'tweb? I therefore see no difference in running W7 (say) on the internet when updates cease than running XP now? It is not just Ms that are saying 7 will be vulnerable, everyone I know and respect in the audio industry says the same.

Of course, if you kill internet on your PCs you are dead safe. That is what I intend to do! Now to keep looking for that 15", 8G i5 with an SSD...And all for under 300!

Dave.

Thanks
    My music computer is still running W7 - do you really think that at some internet connected time, an automatic update or 'shutdown' could happen? I only connect for other updates. I have some older software (that I prefer using rather than new s/w) that will not run on W10.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    My music computer is still running W7 - do you really think that at some internet connected time, an automatic update or 'shutdown' could happen? I only connect for other updates. I have some older software (that I prefer using rather than new s/w) that will not run on W10.
    Just like they did with XP, EVERYBODY will eventually stop supporting Win7. Of course, Microsoft will stop supporting it first, then, eventually, others you associate with such as your browser and other things you get regular updates for will eventually stop, saying because Win7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, they can't support it either.

You can try to keep using it, as I tried to keep using XP, but it seems like everybody assumes you are going to be a virus carrier or something new they will send you just won't work with Win7 because of no updates.

You'll be perfectly fine with Win7, if you are able to disconnect from the Internet and keep using it, but because everybody knows what OS you have, these days, staying connected will eventually classify you as something similar to a nomad.

Like I said, I was forced by Firefox to use a browser version that was limited, because I still had XP installed, and Garmon GPS stopped sending me updates to my GPS, saying they no longer supported XP. This is the type of thing you can expect, if you want to keep Win7 AND stay connected to the Internet. Disconnect that computer and run as a stand alone, and you'll be fine.
    Music ~ the International Language

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Not sure Mike whether you are formulating a question of concern or challenging my post? My position is that I don't fekkin know! I have this laptop and a second computer just as I want and need them running W7. I do not want to risk "something" crashing in that causes me to have to format and re install. I did catch a trojan a few years ago (UPS like attachemnt) and I don't want to go through that misery again.

Easiest solution therefore, for me, is to just get a W10 laptop for internet duties.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerzAndKeyz View Post
    Just like they did with XP, EVERYBODY will eventually stop supporting Win7. Of course, Microsoft will stop supporting it first, then, eventually, others you associate with such as your browser and other things you get regular updates for will eventually stop, saying because Win7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, they can't support it either.

You can try to keep using it, as I tried to keep using XP, but it seems like everybody assumes you are going to be a virus carrier or something new they will send you just won't work with Win7 because of no updates.

You'll be perfectly fine with Win7, if you are able to disconnect from the Internet and keep using it, but because everybody knows what OS you have, these days, staying connected will eventually classify you as something similar to a nomad.

Like I said, I was forced by Firefox to use a browser version that was limited, because I still had XP installed, and Garmon GPS stopped sending me updates to my GPS, saying they no longer supported XP. This is the type of thing you can expect, if you want to keep Win7 AND stay connected to the Internet. Disconnect that computer and run as a stand alone, and you'll be fine.
    As I said, I only connect for updates (like downloading a VST, that type of thing). I haven't updated Reaper in ages, as I haven't found any need to do so. I even transfer/upload any music files by sending them to a USB drive first. (Creating a backup, too).

Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Not sure Mike whether you are formulating a question of concern or challenging my post? My position is that I don't fekkin know! I have this laptop and a second computer just as I want and need them running W7. I do not want to risk "something" crashing in that causes me to have to format and re install. I did catch a trojan a few years ago (UPS like attachemnt) and I don't want to go through that misery again.

Easiest solution therefore, for me, is to just get a W10 laptop for internet duties.

Dave.
    Ok, fair enough. I have a Win10 for internet and other things.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerzAndKeyz View Post
    I've got my music computers on XP with no Internet. Not only did that free up more memory for other things, I think the computers got a little faster. One is a quad 4 processor, and the other is a dual processor, and I haven't had any issues at all.

Because I'm not on the Internet, I don't get hounded by Microsoft or anybody else. I use Firefox and was forced into using a less than desireable version they had, because I was still on XP. This computer I'm on now, was also on XP and this is the one that gave me the most hassle.

Garmon also told me that they couldn't send me any more updates to my GPS, because I was using an unsafe and outdated OS. I bit the bullet and got another quad 4 processor and even went 64 bit and win 8.1. I had to update some software, but mostly my 32 bit stuff still works.

The problem with the music computers, many of my drivers won't work on anything past XP I've got a fairly massive library of VSTs that wouldn't work if I upgraded and my recording hardware driver doesn't work with anything past XP. I wish I could have at least gone past XP and into the OS where 8 gig was seen as actually 8 gig, but I'm getting by. Maybe someday I'll splurge and upgrade to something newer, but I think I'm going to have to find me a copy of 7.0 or 8.1, because I've used 10 in other systems and don't like it.

But, after saying that, if all of my stuff worked under Win 10, I'd be OK with that. I just hate Microsoft, because they force you to upgrade, whether you want to or not. Then everybody jumps onto the band wagon and assumes the OS is likely to be infected with viruses, because it's no longer updated. Everybody follows Microsoft's lead and Microsoft is getting all of that money from upgrades. Did I say I hate Microsoft?

They get a lot faster.

My old win98se box runs faster than the xp with its security software running even though more ram and faster cpu etc.

The huge savings in money by not constantly rebuying old programs so they will run on newer hardware is very nice.

Thread Information