Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: the demise of Windows 7

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    9,860
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 657 Times in 621 Posts
    Rep Power
    9269082
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Coquet-Shack View Post
    Yep: I understand about the lack of support for 7.

    Meantime, I'll just leave this here.

    "demise
    /dɪˈmʌɪz/
    noun
    1.
    a person's death.
    "Mr Grisenthwaite's tragic demise"
    synonyms: death, dying, passing, passing away, passing on, loss of life, expiry, expiration, end, departure from life, final exit; "

    John

    PS Are you on Samplitude. If so, have you reached Pro 4x yet?
    "Don't get technical with me R2!" Pro4 X ? No and won't unless they do the same deal they did with X3. My son and I "grew up" with MAGIX Studio gen 3 and then saw a free Sam SE 8 in a rival sound magazine. Very much the same processes as G3 but much expanded and virtually trouble free whereas G3 was always a bit twitchy? I think it was wriitten pre XP?

    Anyhoos we battled on and tried Reaper (bought it) but Sam always seemed more logical somehow. The bargain version of ProX 3 was just too good to miss.

    Dave.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    214751
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    "Don't get technical with me R2!" Pro4 X ? No and won't unless they do the same deal they did with X3. My son and I "grew up" with MAGIX Studio gen 3 and then saw a free Sam SE 8 in a rival sound magazine. Very much the same processes as G3 but much expanded and virtually trouble free whereas G3 was always a bit twitchy? I think it was wriitten pre XP?

    Anyhoos we battled on and tried Reaper (bought it) but Sam always seemed more logical somehow. The bargain version of ProX 3 was just too good to miss.

    Dave.
    My history much the same, first version was S9 from a magazine. I picked up pro X4 for £149 a few weeks back, kept getting emails offering it ... seemed too good to turn down.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,586
    Thanks
    288
    Thanked 829 Times in 725 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    "Don't get technical with me R2!" Pro4 X ? No and won't unless they do the same deal they did with X3.
    Well...you missed it.
    They did the X4 deal twice already....first time it was for recent buyers of X3 at $200, where they gave X4 for free...then they did X4 to anyone for $150.

    I picked up the X4 Suite on the second deal....but haven't even thought of installing it.
    Heck...I have X1, X2, X3 Suite, X4 Suite...and I'm still just using X1. Too lazy to go through the installation anguish...though everyone is saying the most recent X4 patches really make it a worthwhile upgrade. I've been downloading the patches as they are released.

    X2 was a dog...and then apparently a lot of folks had issues with X3...so I just sat back and watched, but kinda pissed off I spent the money on them.
    It's the price of doing business. The real reason I picked up X4 was because I think it may be the last Samplitude version that will support Win7.
    Considering that MS is dropping support early next year...I doubt that the developers are going to put out X5 in say, 2-3 years, and still worry about backward compatibility.
    That said...you can probably still run the current versions on XP, but you will lose some things....like for starters, 64 bit capability, and probably a good deal of plugs...etc...so anyway, I figured if I got X4, I can stay on Win7 for a long, long time with my DAW and not worry about anymore upgrades.
    Not to mention...there is the possibility that the next version of Samplitude might be a complete revamp from the ground up...and that will certainly not be a fun time, nor will it be backward compatible, at least not to where the devs will worry about making it so....and by then we might be seeing Win 11.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    9,860
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 657 Times in 621 Posts
    Rep Power
    9269082
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Well...you missed it.
    They did the X4 deal twice already....first time it was for recent buyers of X3 at $200, where they gave X4 for free...then they did X4 to anyone for $150.

    I picked up the X4 Suite on the second deal....but haven't even thought of installing it.
    Heck...I have X1, X2, X3 Suite, X4 Suite...and I'm still just using X1. Too lazy to go through the installation anguish...though everyone is saying the most recent X4 patches really make it a worthwhile upgrade. I've been downloading the patches as they are released.

    X2 was a dog...and then apparently a lot of folks had issues with X3...so I just sat back and watched, but kinda pissed off I spent the money on them.
    It's the price of doing business. The real reason I picked up X4 was because I think it may be the last Samplitude version that will support Win7.
    Considering that MS is dropping support early next year...I doubt that the developers are going to put out X5 in say, 2-3 years, and still worry about backward compatibility.
    That said...you can probably still run the current versions on XP, but you will lose some things....like for starters, 64 bit capability, and probably a good deal of plugs...etc...so anyway, I figured if I got X4, I can stay on Win7 for a long, long time with my DAW and not worry about anymore upgrades.
    Not to mention...there is the possibility that the next version of Samplitude might be a complete revamp from the ground up...and that will certainly not be a fun time, nor will it be backward compatible, at least not to where the devs will worry about making it so....and by then we might be seeing Win 11.
    Actually I have seen X4 on this laptop on offer when I do a boot from fully off but had forgotten. I don't need it so won't spend £140 on it.

    MAGIX do seem to have re-invented the wheel with each iteration of Sam 9,10, 11? I bought the magazines and installed them as they came out. SO different from 8SE! I no longer use them but do use 8se for recording radio on this laptop. I have Samplitude Silver that has the very useful MP3 encoder in it.

    My son uses ProX 3 on W10 so I hope that will stick a while?

    Dave.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Auburn NY
    Posts
    2,852
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 51 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    6808373
    I've been on windows 10 since 2016, it's been great. The only issues I run into are unstable m-audio drivers and TBH it's because I should really upgrade my stupid interface since it's hardware that has been discontinued for some time now (profire 2626). M audio no longer releases updated drivers so yeah.
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    No biggie. It should have been gone already but MS already exrended support for an extra two years. Time is up. No more updates but will function as it does now. Also, orinters and devices will not have drivers for Win 7 anymore. I believe its been around nearly 10 years so it is long past its time. Windows 95 came out in 95 and just 3 years later, Win 98 was release. Windows ME in 2000 and Windows xp in 2002. That is 4 OSís in 7 years. 5 in 10 years if you want to include Vista.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coquet-Shack View Post
    My history much the same, first version was S9 from a magazine. I picked up pro X4 for £149 a few weeks back, kept getting emails offering it ... seemed too good to turn down.
    Dont do it! I upgraded to Pro X4 on Friday and ha e had nothing but problems. I cannot use it at all. I am denanding my money back and will deactivate. I dont want to hijack the thread.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    A Hay Field in Kansas
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    750102
    what a great clickbait title.

    It soon turns to something totally unrelated.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    214751
    Quote Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
    Dont do it! I upgraded to Pro X4 on Friday and ha e had nothing but problems. I cannot use it at all. I am denanding my money back and will deactivate. I dont want to hijack the thread.
    Unfortunate. I've had ProX 4 for months and it's fine.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    KCKS
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    75262
    I've got my music computers on XP with no Internet. Not only did that free up more memory for other things, I think the computers got a little faster. One is a quad 4 processor, and the other is a dual processor, and I haven't had any issues at all.

    Because I'm not on the Internet, I don't get hounded by Microsoft or anybody else. I use Firefox and was forced into using a less than desireable version they had, because I was still on XP. This computer I'm on now, was also on XP and this is the one that gave me the most hassle.

    Garmon also told me that they couldn't send me any more updates to my GPS, because I was using an unsafe and outdated OS. I bit the bullet and got another quad 4 processor and even went 64 bit and win 8.1. I had to update some software, but mostly my 32 bit stuff still works.

    The problem with the music computers, many of my drivers won't work on anything past XP I've got a fairly massive library of VSTs that wouldn't work if I upgraded and my recording hardware driver doesn't work with anything past XP. I wish I could have at least gone past XP and into the OS where 8 gig was seen as actually 8 gig, but I'm getting by. Maybe someday I'll splurge and upgrade to something newer, but I think I'm going to have to find me a copy of 7.0 or 8.1, because I've used 10 in other systems and don't like it.

    But, after saying that, if all of my stuff worked under Win 10, I'd be OK with that. I just hate Microsoft, because they force you to upgrade, whether you want to or not. Then everybody jumps onto the band wagon and assumes the OS is likely to be infected with viruses, because it's no longer updated. Everybody follows Microsoft's lead and Microsoft is getting all of that money from upgrades. Did I say I hate Microsoft?
    Music ~ the International Language

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to FingerzAndKeyz For This Useful Post:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Demise of Pawn Shop viability
    By BroKen_H in forum Prime Time
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 08:01
  2. Despite rumors of my demise....
    By AL P in forum Prime Time
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 08:07
  3. 'Eye of Demise' Instrumental Metal Tuneage
    By rockonin in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 10:48
  4. "A Study On The Demise Of Deer In My Woods"
    By queepy in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 14:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •