Borked optical drive

ecc83

A week ago I was trying to play some DVDs I had copied from the hard drive of a Freeview recorder (garden wildlife) but the DVD drive refused to play them and reported them formatted but "empty" and prompted me to burn data on them.

I Googled the drive in this HP i3 laptop for problems and yes, HP had a fix. However, it involved hacking the Registry, something I do not feel at all confident in doing so I ran Ccleaner.....

Wow! About 3pages of ***t! Never had that much accumulated crap on any PC before. I ran the cleaner (saving the data everytime!) until it reported no problems. Rebooted and lo! Optical drive works again!

Dave.

I don't doubt that it's helpful to someone. Dave knows his stuff when it comes to this kind of thing, but I thought it's a little too specific for this section. I might be wrong.

... but I thought it's a little too specific for this section. I might be wrong.
I'm guessing this is the sort of discussion that will guide what this forum becomes. Good stuff in the post and the questioning of placement. Birth pangs, yeah?

I'm guessing this is the sort of discussion that will guide what this forum becomes. Good stuff in the post and the questioning of placement. Birth pangs, yeah?

Actually, while this isn't the "protypical" type of thread I expected, it's perfect. Whenever you come across something helpful, put it here! Unless you're directly responding to a question within the rest of HR, i.e. someone asks "my optimal drive is cooked, help!", then this is the right place. Too much useful information that would be useful to many other members gets buried within other threads and forums. This dedicated forum will at least make it a bit easier to find useful info.

This thread is great because that suggestion, alone, might save countless hours of many other members. Even if it just helped one person who otherwise may not have been able to search it specifically, then the User Contributions forum is doing its job :)

Back