Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: amp, mics, SPLs picture...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Similar to using headphones as a 'mic', way, way back in my teen years I had played around using a speaker hooked up through a vacuum tube output transformer to step up the impedance as a 'mic'. It worked, but not well as could be expected.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I learned about headphones as a mic from rave DJs in the 90s. Apparently it's a pretty standard trick since they've almost always got the cans, but very often "forget" the mic. I've heard they can work well for upright bass.

Speakers as mics (well, headphones ARE speakers), but people have been doing that for years too. Most common usage is as a "sub kick" mic to get the ultra low thump. In fact there are a number of companies out there building them with nice mounting hardware and everything.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Wacky......I know.........but lots of headphones can be used as a mic..........normally not with good results...........but essentially they can work as a mic. When I was young........back before the wheel.......I remember plugging in a set of headphones into the mic jack of a cassette recorder. With the input fader pushed all the way.......I could record. Just my 2 cents.
    Not in the least wacky! Basic electro-magnetics. The loudspeaker as a kick mic is almost standard kit in many studios I believe?

But...to the chase? Typo methinks James?

Dave.

Thanks
    What's even more fun is that Dynamic mics are also speakers! I had an ART Dual MP for a while and didn't realize that the Instrument and Mic inputs were literally just parallel connected via straight wire until I was playing my guitar standing next to a mic I didn't think I was using and heard the guitar coming out.

Thanks
    I know its off topic but for wackiness : output a track or mix through headphones or any speaker small enough to fit in your hand(even use a dyn mic as a "speaker") and play back through a live amped electric guitar pickup , record the output from the amp. The guitar and amp tone controls ,volume ,distortion , various pedals, and the guitar itself can be utilized to manipulate the sound coming from the amp and you can come up with some crazy stuff. I have a fondness for "playing"" rf remotes(TV, DVD Player, etc) through guitar pickups too.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    At the risk of putting this onto a parallel set of rails, but perhaps going in a similar direction as the original, I plugged in the electric (first time since last July maybe) and tried to make my fingers stay on the strings for a few minutes.

One dynamic and one small, side address condenser, placed as near as possibly in the same location on opposite sides of the cone, about an inch and a smidge in from the edge, and an inch or so off the grill. Recorded in Audacity. There's no test here, because the picture will tell the tale if nothing else.

First, it was set pretty low volume, measuring on my "super accurate" phone app about 100-102dB a couple inches in front of the speaker, and pushing 90 where I was sitting. Just adjusted the gains until the interface LEDs looked to be bouncing around the same and the waveforms (quite visible) in Audacity looked as close as possible. Now, while I had to push the dynamic gain quite a bit higher, it was still below where I'd feel like I needed to go looking for a preamp. (And, realistically, the amp was practically quiet compared to most electric guitar recording.)

t2mictest-jpg

Recorded as stereo, but if I wanted to use this idea, I'd probably just mix these mono, or maybe with a little pan. The clear takeaway, both in listening (split to mono in Audacity to compare best IMO) is that the dynamic has a little bit of natural compression, and even though the distances were the same, a lot more proximity effect. Enough that I won't ever put it that close to the grill again.

The condenser peaks about -7dB and dynamic about -9, but the integrated LUFS for the dynamic is 0.3dB louder than the condenser. It had few dB more low rumble at the end but I think that was just the proximity effect, and not really more noise. The setup wasn't going to prevent that as the amp and both mics on short stands were on the same table!

Dropbox - t2mictest.wav (apologies to all electric guitarists out there!)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    ...I remember plugging in a set of headphones into the mic jack of a cassette recorder. With the input fader pushed all the way.......I could record. Just my 2 cents.
    ha ha ha...believe it or not this technique is still being used even in "ProAudio Events" such as the one I just attended this past weekend in SAE Institute! So Native Instruments had a clinic on basic mixing with Traktor S8. Guess what? They forgot to set up or even bring a mic for the speaker, so she had to use a headphone! Here's the proof:

In The Mix Reviews on Instagram: “#imstafesta #imstafesta2018 #imstafestalosangeles #celebrationofmusictechnology #saeinstitute #saelosangeles #buythesoftwareyouuse #ni…”

She made that gesture for fun...but that's how it went down till someone brought an SM7B mic but no mic stand. It was very awkward but fun.

Thread Information