Acoustic into a looper

ecc83

Son set me this problem a few days ago. He in Le Havre, me in UK, both in lock down.

He want to get his classical acoustic into his looper. Now, he has some gear but I thought the easiest way was an XLR to jack plug transformer, ~200Ohms to 50k.

Traff came this morning so I rigged things thus,..

Mackie 91C LDC in front of Greenback cab fed from HT-20 amp. Transformer into amp input.

Prodipe T11 dynamic mic on traff XLR. Advanced gain slowly...Wheee! That feeds back VERY suddenly.

91c into NI KA6 and recorded in Samplitude. I have attached the whole thing, warts, fumbles and ***t playing and all. Just want to prove the principle.

In the Mics section I shall treat you all to some MORE of my playing directly into the KA6 from the 91c.

Hope someone finds my pissings about interesting?

Oh, getting lunch first (NOT "out to lunch" Cheeky b****s!)

Dave.

Attachments

• traff test01.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
I'm confused! The classical guitar does not have a pickup, I assume? Is he trying to do this live? 1) Get a looper made for a mic; or 2) add a pickup to the guitar!

I'm confused! The classical guitar does not have a pickup, I assume? Is he trying to do this live? 1) Get a looper made for a mic; or 2) add a pickup to the guitar!

No pickup, it is true classical guitar, Bach an all that. Did not know you could get loopers with balanced mic inputs but in any case a new pedal or pup is going to cost dad a lot more than the transformer. Just bought him a mic FCS!

The 150R to 50kR gives a voltage 'gain' of almost 20dB. I think into the 1meg looper that will give him a usable signal, certainly does into the HT-20.

Does anyone remember, waaaay back in the day we used Reslo ribbons or Grampian DP4 low Z mics with a traff into the one and only guitar amp?

Dave.

I've got a couple of old high impedance Shure mics from our days playing into a the old Kustom 100 PA system. No XLR connections, or balanced inputs. 4 hi-Z 1/4" plugs on the front. We didn't care about such trivial matters as S/N, HF loss, or such. Cut the plug off of a guitar cord, solder on a jack and you have an instant mic extension cord to reach the drummer.

I should try plugging it into my RP350 and using the looper function. Should work...?

Son has his transformer (and the Mackie 91C LDC) and has done a quick check...classical git afront a '57>traff>looper> Peavey amp. Says he gets plenty of clean level before feedback. He is going to record a two guitar Bach piece and let me have it soon and you can all judge.

Dave.

Back