Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Abject Terror and a Learning Experience

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Potsdam, NY
    Age
    59
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    214755

    Abject Terror and a Learning Experience

    Sign in to disable this ad
    No noobie questions today, just a story with a happy ending.

    My daughter is a senior in high school, working on a senior capstone project of composing and recording a short piece of music in the fantasy film/video game genre. Last spring, she conducted her school choir in a short a cappella piece. The plan was that she would orchestrate it and then perform it again this year at the spring concert. That plan fell apart due to student's busy schedules. Too many kids had multiple activities and there were no opportunities for the choir and orchestra to rehearse together. So, the project changed: the orchestration would be recorded using VSTs.

    Of course, I'm not privy to any of this information. All the work goes on behind the teenager's closed bedroom door. Then on Tuesday morning, I received a text from Yvonne saying that "we" need to record the choir at school, Thursday at 8:30 AM. Two days to get ready. Aaaaaaaaaugh!

    First problem: microphones. I've haven't actually done any live recording in recent years, just used Reaper to re-mix '80s-vintage 4-track cassette demos. So, I texted my neighbor Rob, who teaches audio engineering part-time and the Crane School Of Music (just down the road, in town). Score! Rob has an old pair of C451's and a twin mounting bracket that he was willing to lend me. I set it all up in the family room to confirm that my laptop and Scarlett 2i2 will power the 451's and luckily, it all worked.

    Then last night, I got to thinking... what exactly was the choir going to be singing, and how did it relate to the moderately complex orchestral piece she has composed in Reaper? Were they separate pieces, or one and the same? Bad news: it turned out that last year's a cappella piece is now the last minute of a 2:30 orchestral piece. Gah! The choir has to sing in time (and in tune) with the orchestra!

    I've never done anything like this before, and just know enough to know that it ain't easy. There's no way the entire chorus can monitor the orchestra parts: we don't have a monitor system nor 40 pairs of headphones, and we can't monitor with speakers because they'll bleed into the recording. So, we decided that Yvonne would listen to the orchestra on headphones, and conduct the choir a cappella. We would just have to hope that the choir-room piano was in tune with the VST orchestra, since they'd be getting their starting pitches from the piano. Since the choral section is only 60 seconds, long, we'd take the chance that they'd stay in tune from beginning to end.

    I showed up at the school this morning at 8:00 and talked my way past the front-desk security. It only took a few minutes to set up the recording rig, but then I noticed a problem: I was only getting one mic, from channel 1 on the Scarlett, split to both the left and right sides of my choir track. It took me a few minutes to drill down into Reaper's routing table and figure out the right combination of red dots to give me my stereo recording. Fortunately, the teacher wanted to warm up the choir and practice the piece a few times, so I wasn't holding them up with my random clicking.

    We took a shot at it. The first take fell apart halfway through; the teacher had rehearsed them at a slower tempo and the choir was dragging. So we tried it again, this time with Yvonne banging the tempo on the piano lid with one hand while conducting with the other. Then, the teacher suggested they run through it a couple time at a faster tempo, just to get them used to it.

    Then we went for it. We recorded two takes, and they both seemed to come out okay. Yvonne the perfectionist seemed satisfied. I was somewhere between "pleasantly surprised" and "amazed". My kid really had no idea how difficult what she was doing was, she just went in and did it.

    Now I need to give her a crash course in mixing, for which I am supremely under qualified. Onward!
    "Daddy grips the wheel and stares alone in to the distance. He knows that something somewhere has to break." - Sting

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    68
    Posts
    7,762
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 590 Times in 480 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Getting a choir to sing along to a pre-prepared backing is tricky. I'm pleased it worked out for you.

    I'm not sure why you needed to go to the routing table in Reaper. Wasn't it anything that you could sort on the track's input controls?

    Just recently I had to record a choir under similar circumstances, i.e. they were to sing to a pre-recorded track. I too worried about the logistics, but in the end I just set up a couple of monitor speakers and played the track through them for the choir to hear. I was expecting the track to bleed into the mikes, which it did. But I kept the level as low as possible and figured that it would be overwhelmed in the final mix. Which it was.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    In Your Town
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    40130
    Glad to hear it worked out for you!
    I'm only competing with the person I was yesterday.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Learning experience.
    By thane1200 in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 14:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •