Wireless headphones

Scruntfundle

Hi there. I'm not sure if this is the right group, there are so many and none for headphones.

I use Logic on an iMac, safire IO, keyboards and guitars all over the place, loads of cables, plugs and connections. I also use a wheelchair, if anyone has experience you will know wheelchairs and cables are somehow magically attracted to each other, getting tied up, wound in and tangled with everything is a real pain in the arse.

So I'm looking for some wireless headphones. I have some which I bought a while ago, they do a decent job but the sound quality isn't great, sadly I can't remember what they are. The problem I'm finding is they all seem to be blue tooth these days, I'd sooner have something with a base station and jack plug to cut latency to a minimum. Then I can plug them into the desk, IO or mac depending on what I'm doing.

Over to you guys, what would you recommend? Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome.

The main two problems I can see with wireless headphones are going to be absolute sound quality, especially headroom and possibly latency. On the latter I don't think there is a Bluetooth guitar TX/RX system around?

There is of course no problem in getting very quality sound transmitted from a microphone and such systems often have a line input (or one could be devised) but they are single channel. I do not know of an audiophile stereo wireless system but I am sure such exists IF you have the money! You would probably still need a high quality headphone amp at the receiver end and both would have to be battery powered. Quite a wish list!

On the "tangle" front, can you get some assistance to install "sky hooks"? Having cables, mic, line , cans even power dropped in about 1/2mtr above bonce can be very liberating!

Dave.

I was thinking right along with what Keith Rogers said...using an in ear monitor system

But I also agree with ecc83 and actually Jury rigged a sky hook for my headphones as my chair has wheels and I had a similar issue with rolling on the headphone cable. I am in a garage with rafters so I just used a piece of dacron fishing line tied onto one of the 2 x 6's above me about 18" to my right (as my interface is to my right @ 30" away) I then tied a loop in the fishing line at ear height and using a re-usable tie wrap I attached the cable to the loop leaving me enough cable to comfortable move around. Works just fine for keeping the cable off the ground and away from the chair.

Aha, thanks for the ideas folks. I can't put anything in the ceiling, but I would be able to build a wooden frame around the main table, that may work very well.

I'll probably be back soon... !

Thanks again.

Going with headphones, Sennheiser has ON EAR and OVER EAR models... RS-135-9 RF Wireless Headphone System On Ear Open Back ... RS-165 RF
Wireless Headphone System Over Ear Closed Back..

Hmm? Just reviews of rather mutton telly watchers in those links. I am still concerned that the cans will not have the levels and low latency needed for home recording?

Dave.

True.

Other specs:

18 - 21,000 Hz
Max. sound pressure level 106 dB at 1kHz, 3% THD
THD, total harmonic distortion <0.5 % at 1 kHz, 100 dB SPL

Back