Window Treatments (Pun intended)

HapiCmpur

My little studio has two windows in it. The one at the top of the drawing doesn't concern me much because it's centered (for the most part) between the monitors. The window to the left of the mixing position troubles me, however, because it's very large and (probably) creates a major asymmetry in the room.

In one of Ethan's videos, he dealt with a control room window by building a plywood/fiberglass diffuser on the wall directly across from it. He had to do that, though, because the window he was dealing with was between the studio and the control room and would therefore not be covered with anything. My window, on the other hand, looks out into my front yard and the street, so I have shut out the world with a fairly thick drape. (I don't want people watching me croon and croak at my microphones, and I want to keep my neighbors guessing about what's making all the weird noises coming from my house.)

Here's the question: Am I likely to get a decent result by hanging a big panel of rigid fiberglass on the wall directly across from the window, or is that just going to exacerbate the asymmetry of the room? I doubt, for instance, that the drape on the window is really absorbing much sound. More likely, the waves are going through the drapes and reflecting off the window back into the room. Perhaps I should set a piece of rigid fiberglass on the window sill behind the drape? Whadayathink?

Attachments

• Studio, small resolution.jpg
    Studio, small resolution.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 113
that sounds like a good plan, but put the exact same thing, the exact same size, in the exact same position on the other wall.

Hapi,

> In one of Ethan's videos, he dealt with a control room window by building a plywood/fiberglass diffuser on the wall directly across from it. <

Yes, but in Doug's control room the window is on one side. In your room the windows is in front of you. Since that's behind the speakers there's less need to deal with reflections.

--Ethan

notbradsohner said:
that sounds like a good plan
Which part sounds like a good plan? Should I put fiberglass on the wall opposite the window, or should I put fiberglass there AND on the window sill as well?

Ethan Winer said:
Yes, but in Doug's control room the window is on one side. In your room the windows is in front of you. Since that's behind the speakers there's less need to deal with reflections.
I think you misunderstood, Ethan. The window I'm concerned about is the one on the left side of (and slightly behind) the mixing position, not the one behind the monitors. Keeping in mind that I'm recording and mixing in the same room, how should I handle that side window?

Just to butt in, I also have a side window in my room, and I too am curious about how to handle it from an acoustic standpoint.

Cmp,

> The window I'm concerned about is the one on the left side of (and slightly behind) the mixing position <

If it's behind you then it's out of the path of direct reflections. In that case you can treat the wall opposite the window to avoid flutter echo if needed. Not that symmetry behind you isn't important, but it's much less important than from your head forward.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
In that case you can treat the wall opposite the window to avoid flutter echo if needed.
When you say "treat the wall" here, I assume you're suggesting that I just hang up some rigid fiberglass, preferably about the same dimensions as the window. That would certainly stop flutter echo. But since I'm also recording in that same room (and since I bought more fiberglass than I really need), would it also make sense to put a fiberglass panel in the windowsill behind the drape? Wouldn't that increase the accoustic symmetry of the room (sort of)? Or am I running the risk of deadening the room -- killing it, as it were, in an effort to save it?

Hapi,

> would it also make sense to put a fiberglass panel in the windowsill behind the drape? <

Sure, if you don't mind blocking the window.

> Or am I running the risk of deadening the room <

Yes, but the only way to know is to try it.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
Hapi,

> would it also make sense to put a fiberglass panel in the windowsill behind the drape? <
Sure, if you don't mind blocking the window.
> Or am I running the risk of deadening the room <
Yes, but the only way to know is to try it.
--Ethan
Well, okay then. Let the experimentation begin!

Thanks, Ethan. I'll let you know if I discover anything in the process that may be useful to others.

Back