Window Between Control Room and Live Room

Gage Owens

Hello all. I have these two windows pictured (both 33” x 27”). Looking for a good way to mount them angling downward. I’ve been thinking I’m going to have to build a frame around them but don’t have any solid ideas on how to go about it just yet so looking for suggestions. The wall that they are going in is stagger studded, so it’s a roughly 7” width wall.

Attachments

• 8C1CEB0B-C113-40DB-BEF3-FC83C75CE71E.jpeg
    8C1CEB0B-C113-40DB-BEF3-FC83C75CE71E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
A couple of questions.......:

What is the glass thickness?

What are your reasons for wanting to angle them?

:cool:

The last time I used double glazed units for a studio window I removed the sealed units from the frames and just built wood frames in each wall to house them.

Angling the glass is intended to reduce standing waves although you may also get standing waves due to the parallel panes in the double glazed units.

There is much more to it than that...

As far as I have read, proper isolation window is usually two to three different thickness of glass layered together with film in between. Basically the same as 'bullet proofing' glass. You don't necessarily need the gas or air gap between from what I have heard. But if on the cheap then I suppose whatever works...

And yes the angle mounting is based on the best way to not get a direct reflection back to your listening position. I have seen many studios with just two 1/4" panes. One flat in recording room, and one angled in the control room. That does seem to work, but not the ideal.

Best isolation though is with density. Which involves multiple layers of varying thickness in one panel. Not sure the science behind the layering of different thickness, but it has been documented. I would Google it and try to find where I found that info before I had mine built, but I just don't have time right now. Maybe tomorrow. :)

If I remember correctly, my window is a 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8" glass, all separated by a clear poly film between. Then sealed to a 1" aluminum frame. It supposed to stop 45 caliber bullets. Not that I record gangsta's, but you never know... lol

Last edited:
Kind of why I asked the questions ;).

We were discussing this in this forum many, many years ago and as said density is all important. The common belief was to use two different thickness eg: 10mm and 6mm to avoid sympathetic resonance.

As far as angling one or both windows, it was believed is was to eliminate visual reflections more than sound reflections.

My glass is parallel, and works fine for seeing through and for sound isolation - but I have two separate 6mm panes in each wall - separated by 50mm of air, with the distance between inner panes about 100mm. In my previous studio the weak link was the 'timber' frames which turned out to be hollow, rather than solid timber - and the frames allowed far too much transmission, much greater than what got through the glass!

I have 2 panes, one is 5mm one is 6mm, I have angled both to reduce direct reflection back into the rooms from the glass. I also have each pane on their own frame so the frames do not touch. Each frame in turn is mounted on a separate stud wall. I also have the glass isolated on neoprene rubber to reduce transmission to the frame.

A full on band in the recording room and all you can hear in my control room is a slight low end which is actually traveling through the floor. Height of the room and budget stopped the fully floating room idea which as it turns out was not really needed for what we do.

Alan

There is a "search" function for a reason............

This thread is a prime example of what ultimately caused the loss of a number of extremely experienced people from "leaving" this forum in general, regardless of which "sub-forum".

Out of perverse curiosity and to verify what I said in my previous post, I did a search within this specific forum and found numerous threads dealing with studio glass, eg: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ment/another-glass-question-77767/?highlight=

Guys, over the years there has been so much great advice posted on this site, on so many subjects and by people far more knowledgeable than me, and the fact is that because people aren't prepared to put the real time in the using the search function goes beyond frustrating, it ultimately leaves a person wondering why they ever bothered to offer advice and/or assistance.

Regarding this specific thread.........the OP has mentioned the use of staggered stud walls, so I have to presume he has done a degree of research, this leaves me wondering how much, if any, research he did on the rest of the construction if he wants to "get it right"

There is a "search" function for a reason............

This thread is a prime example of what ultimately caused the loss of a number of extremely experienced people from "leaving" this forum in general, regardless of which "sub-forum".

I'm afraid you are fighting a losing battle here. I've been on forums and newsgroups since before the 'eternal September' and people have always ignored the FAQ's and stickies. If you want this to be a welcoming place you just have to be patient. I admire Dave's (ecc83) and others willingness to help everyone and indeed it was his mention of this forum elsewhere that got me visiting it again.

I'm afraid you are fighting a losing battle here. I've been on forums and newsgroups since before the 'eternal September' and people have always ignored the FAQ's and stickies. If you want this to be a welcoming place you just have to be patient. I admire Dave's (ecc83) and others willingness to help everyone and indeed it was his mention of this forum elsewhere that got me visiting it again.

I know you're right, I just had to say what I said. ;)

I know you're right, I just had to say what I said. ;)

The 2 that get to me are the "How do I mic a guitar cab" and "How do I mic an acoustic guitar"
:eatpopcorn::drunk:

At least we are talking construction. There are a 1000 site in google that show studio construction including windows.

Alan

Back