Will Bass Traps help My Cause?

Jammed for the first time last night with the traps in the room. 2 of them mounted. The room sounds better IMO. There was more definition between the different instruments. I was able to pick different parts out better. The room sounds bigger.

Can't wait until I have the last four mounted. Going to buy brackets and zip ties tomorrow night.

The main thing I noticed after treating my room is that sound becomes more directional. The guitar sounds like it's coming out of the amp not from everywhere in the room.

The main thing I noticed after treating my room is that sound becomes more directional. The guitar sounds like it's coming out of the amp not from everywhere in the room.

Now that you mention it I did notice a huge difference when I was standing in front of my amp vs a little to the side.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. You guys made this a lot easier and saved me a lot of time. Just thought I would share the finished product with you guys. I tried to use as many of the tips in terms of placement, but in the end, the size of my room and the number of things I have in there constrained my flexibility to a large degree. Still thinking about the drumset and the bass amp trading spots so I can move the monitors to the center of that wall and put my listening position closer to the 38%. But that's another discussion for another day.

As far as mounting these things, I recommend the following:

Tools necessary:

Drill, stud finder

Materials:

Heavy duty picture wire, eye hole screws, heavy duty zip ties.

The Zip ties I bought have a tensile strength of 175 pounds. Seeing as how the bass traps are 18 pounds, the ties are not going to be be the weak link here.

Attachments

• bass traps 003.jpg
    bass traps 003.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 78
  • bass traps 004.jpg
    bass traps 004.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 79
  • bass traps 005.jpg
    bass traps 005.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 78
  • bass traps 006.jpg
    bass traps 006.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 78
Just curious about one thing....

Since the top and bottom edges of the traps are actually touching the ceiling and wall...couldn’t you have just used real long sheetrock screws (or toggle bolts) to anchor them at those two edges right into the ceiling and wall…instead of having to do all that wire-n-hook stuff in back?

Oh...and the one trap you have on the wall...is it right against the wall or with a space between it and the wall?
I think they need to be away from the wall for max value...?

Last edited:
"I think they need to be away from the wall for max value...?"

I think you're right.

Looks good tho man. Nicely done.
;)

Since the top and bottom edges of the traps are actually touching the ceiling and wall...couldn’t you have just used real long sheetrock screws (or toggle bolts) to anchor them at those two edges right into the ceiling and wall…instead of having to do all that wire-n-hook stuff in back?

I suppose, but then wouldn't there be screws showing? Not sure I am completely understanding your method. The way I did it, you don't see any screws or wire unless you stick your head behind the trap and look. I feel pretty good about how solidly they are mounted. I certainly don't want one of these things falling on my drummer's head (18 pounds + sharp metal corners = ouch). Rigging the wire was time consuming and kind of a pain in the ass.

miroslav said:
Oh...and the one trap you have on the wall...is it right against the wall or with a space between it and the wall?
I think they need to be away from the wall for max value...?

I recently bought a flat screen TV and a wall mount that came with heavy duty bolts and spacers. They included extra spacers of various sizes. I used these spacers on the back of my flat wall mounted trap. I'm not sure what is the optimum amount of space. I have about two inches currently that I could easily adjust (edit: you can't really tell this from the pic. I'll post another one when I get back to Virginia).

Depending on how they're made, sure...that would work just fine.

Frank

Not sure I am completely understanding your method.

Rigging the wire was time consuming and kind of a pain in the ass.

Yeah, it looks like it would be, which is why I was asking about using long screws....and just screwing them through the corners of the framing...might have to drill a hole first to do it neatly.
Another idea would be to use small hinges...2-3 at each side. First screw (or even glue w/epoxy) to the frames...then just screw into the ceiling and wall. You do one side, and then just swing them into position to do the other.
You would have to use the right screws/anchors for sheetrock.

I'm only thinking out loud...'cuz I plan on adding a few more traps, and I'm considering different options for mounting.
I'm also wondering if it's really necessary to have them angled across the corners...or will you get almost the same affect if you just hung them from the ceiling, but close to the corner joint...???...or on the wall, but close to the corner joint...???

I used these spacers on the back of my flat wall mounted trap. I'm not sure what is the optimum amount of space. I have about two inches currently....

I think 2" is OK...with more being a bit better...but again, it ain't always easy to do or to give up that space. Yours are not obtrusive....they look nice in that space.
Are those Ethan's "Bare Traps"...? They are a pretty good deal at $100 each.

If I hang any from the ceiling, I wouldn't do more than 2" as I don't have the height to give away on anything more. :(
I think though the key is not to have traps flush against the ceiling or walls...but you could, they just don't work as well on the low end if I'm not mistaken.

You already have traps so I'm sure you considered this, but the bare traps only have a few small holes in the backs of the frames that you can use for mounting. So in my case using hinges would have been tricky. I actually considered that when I went to the hardware store. Not sure what kinds of mounting capabilities other traps have but from what I understand many of them have more options than the bare traps.

Once I got my method worked out, the way I installed them was actually quite easy. If I had to do it again I would stick with the wire/eyehole screw/zip tie combination.

After looking around a bit, I thought the bare traps were the best deal for the money. I am pretty satisfied although up close they are not that attractive. The fabric covering them is like what you would find on a hospital bed. For some reason now that they are mounted I have no qualms about the way they look.

OK recorded a full band in there for the first time since the trap install. 3 guitars, bass, drums, keys, vocals. Sounds a lot better IMO. The recording is much more crisp. I did a rough mix and burned a CD of it and it's kind of a breakthrough for me.

OK recorded a full band in there for the first time since the trap install. 3 guitars, bass, drums, keys, vocals. Sounds a lot better IMO. The recording is much more crisp. I did a rough mix and burned a CD of it and it's kind of a breakthrough for me.

........Sweet!

Nice I know the feeling!

So when do we get to hear?

Back