Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do I need a sound booth, and how do I build one.

Thanks

Why do I need a sound booth, and how do I build one.

Sign in to disable this ad
    Okay-I found this site on Friday and I am already overwhelmed(lack of knowledge).
    The day that I found this site I did a school bus charter to Somers HS(Conn) and I heard this great sounding band in the auditorium. I(of course, so would you)shook the locked door and someone let me in. They had a 24 track presonus hooked up to a laptop, and I was explained to for the first time what a firewire was. I told him I had a cheap 8 track-he said he had borrowed this unit and only had a 4 track himself. I have been home recording since around 1995 and I have never met anyone who has recorded at home.

Anyway-
    I have never understood the logic behind a sound booth. I am recording in a finished attic with a couple of beds in it, stored boxes, instruments(of course).

I’m fairly handy and have a Home Depot credit card, building something is definitely something that I could afford to do. I’m just not sure what I need, or why I need anything to begin with.

My main concern is vocals

Thanks
    The only benifit to using a booth would be to seperate two different sound sources that you were recording simultaneously. Like you have one guy singing and maybe another playing an acoustic guitar. You could but one in the booth and the other outise the boot, mic em up and record em separately. The PROBLEM is, generally speaking, the smaller the room you are recording in, the less desirable the acoustics become... I record entire bands, and I don't use a booth. MOST people around here dont use a booth. If you are a one-man-band or intend to record things individually, then I certainly wouldn't bother with a booth... What you will want to do is consider treating your entire room for better mixing / monitoring.

Short answer; you don't need a booth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_D View Post
    I certainly wouldn't bother with a booth... What you will want to do is consider treating your entire room for better mixing / monitoring.
    What do you mean?

Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    I have never understood the logic behind a sound booth.
    See this:

Do I really need a vocal booth?

--Ethan

Thanks
    What do you mean?
    Another Ethan link...
    http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Thanks
    What do you mean?
    I think what he's talkin about is keepin your room the size it is now instead of makin a couple of smaller rooms from it. The bigger, the better.

Most of us home recording dudes have our set up in a spare bedroom or in the garage.
    What I did was to build a 14X20 ( I think I wrote 14X16 on here before...oops) room inside my garage. Then I lifted the peak of the roof of that room as high as I could, which was 10'5" in my case.
    Small square rooms are a bitch to acoustically treat so try to keep it as more of a rectangle shaped room. Then set up your mixing desk facing a short wall with your back to the length of the room.

Then start treating it with basstraps/broadband absorption and diffusors. There are a couple of really knowledgeable dudes around here that can help with room treatment. Ethan's one of em. Another is Frank (Weasel9992) from GIK Acoustics. Both are good guys with lotsa savvy.

Luck to ya

Thanks
    We can better help you if you indicate what it is you want to record, how you intend to do so, and how much money you have in your budget.

Thanks
    Nulls? Peaks? Comb Filtering? Reflections?
    Monitoring clarity and imaging? QRD diffusor? ***gasp***

I’m starting to remember why I flunked out of school. Hummm. Think my education has already been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercreep View Post
    We can better help you if you indicate what it is you want to record, how you intend to do so, and how much money you have in your budget.
    I record songs that I wrote-I use a condenser mic to record keyboard, guitar, bass, and vocals, vocals being of extreme importance to me. Probably country style- which is similar to the 60's music I was brought up listening to. I have a Korg D8 8 track recorder. Is that what you want to know? Budget-I might be able to scrape up some building materials. Thanks!!
    Last edited by misterbill; 03-02-2010 at 13:46.

Thanks
    Are you happy with what your recordings sound like when they are done? if so you don't need anything

If you feel something is missing then there is a whole world of exciting (and expensive) gear, science, pseudo science and utter nonsense waiting just a mouse click away

Either way you most likely don't need a vocal booth

Thanks
    Unless you are Superman disguised as Clark Kent...you don't need a booth.

Thread Information