Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do I need a sound booth, and how do I build one.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Alright, now you got my wheels turning.

Iím guessing where the monitors are placed, where the recording unit is placed, and what nulls, peaks, and reflections in the room are not going to affect the sound of my bass guitar that is booming into a mic that is 8 inches from the speaker.

Placement of the monitors is going to affect how I hear this? Yes? No? Maybe? All of the above? Other?

Sooooooooooooooooo
    If I am doing all of my recording, mixing, and singing with a cheap pair of radio shack headphones-my CD sounds WONDERFUL, but only when I am wearing my cheap radio shack headphones.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    Alright, now you got my wheels turning.

I’m guessing where the monitors are placed, where the recording unit is placed, and what nulls, peaks, and reflections in the room are not going to affect the sound of my bass guitar that is booming into a mic that is 8 inches from the speaker.

Placement of the monitors is going to affect how I hear this? Yes? No? Maybe? All of the above? Other?

Sooooooooooooooooo
    If I am doing all of my recording, mixing, and singing with a cheap pair of radio shack headphones-my CD sounds WONDERFUL, but only when I am wearing my cheap radio shack headphones.

Am I on the right track?
    If that same CD sounds wonderful in the car and on your home stereo etc then otherwise

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manslick View Post
    If that same CD sounds wonderful in the car and on your home stereo etc then otherwise
    The word 'AWFUL' seems to come to mind.

Here is what I am getting at.

Am I supposed to be recording with the monitors on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    The word 'AWFUL' seems to come to mind.

Here is what I am getting at.

Am I supposed to be recording with the monitors on?
    If you're recording with a mic, you should not have your monitors on. They'll influence the room which in turn will get picked up by the mic. Use closed-back headphones while tracking, monitors for mixing.

What everyone has said is spot on. For recording things like vocals and acoustic guitars, the larger the room, the better. However, most of us don't get that luxury. We usually get one room for both tracking and mixing, and if you're like me, it's not a big room at all. So, common wisdom says to acoustically treat it for the best response when mixing, which might make the room a little dead for recording. You can add a "room" to your tracks later with reverb or delay.

If your mixes sound great with headphones, but "awful" in the car, it's not because you are recording with the monitors on. Mixing with headphones typically does not yield good results, unless you really know how your headphones sound.

Iím guessing where the monitors are placed, where the recording unit is placed, and what nulls, peaks, and reflections in the room are not going to affect the sound of my bass guitar that is booming into a mic that is 8 inches from the speaker.
    Yeah, close micing a loud source won't be influenced much by the room.

Absolutely, they will be influenced by the room. Bass trapping will minimize the peaks and nulls and it doesn't have to be expensive. Won't find what you need at Home Depot, though. Do a search in the Studio Build section for OC703. Lots of discussion about the topic there. See where others buy the stuff and how to use it to tune a room.

cheers,

Thanks
    I didnít want to give my last response to this topic because I thought my CD needed a lot more work than a better mixdown. I thought I should at least give it a shot. I moved the speakers to a stereo to the back wall of my room, opposite my mixing area(as I read about). I recorded a song I have been putting off doing for a considerable amount of time. I couldnít believe the difference in my mixdown. All I did was change from plate reverb to a hall reverb. You should hear the difference. It really worked!

Thread Information