Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where Should I Put My Studio Desk?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    On a side note. It looks like you have a decent shaped room. Although it's a little small and the ceiling could be higher, you should have a good shot at positioning your desk and treating the room with success. At least, that's what the REW room simulator suggests along with the AMROC room mode calculator. The room falls within the Bolt area for ideal room shapes, the room modes follow a fairly even distribution, and they don't appear to be stacked on top of one another. Tthose are all good things. You're a lucky man. Just don't bump your head on that ceiling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails room-sim-rew-jpg   room-mode-calc-jpg  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dwillis45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Is there a how-to or white paper somewhere to help with installing REW? I'm having trouble getting it to install on WIn 7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggaluggs View Post
    Is there a how-to or white paper somewhere to help with installing REW? I'm having trouble getting it to install on WIn 7.
    Your best bet is to try the help files that come with the program. Of those aren't working, I'd go to the REW website:

REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

They have some help files and links there.

And when in doubt, register on the AV Nirvana forums and post a question on the REW page. People there are very helpful and you can also search the site to see if anyone is having similar issues.

Thanks
    Wow, guys. Thanks so much for all the pointers! This is SO helpful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Of course, now that I see the side wall window, that may influence your choice. If you can't cover that window with a first reflection point panel, you probably can't place the desk facing the short wall with the other window. Did I mention that this was a process.
    If covering up one of the windows with a first reflection point panel is a necessity for proper desk placement, I'm not necessarily opposed to that idea. So, If I went the route of putting the desk on wall "C" instead of "A", what about the window that is on wall "C"? I could cover the wall "B" window up (which would give me symmetrical walls on either side of wall "C"), but there would still be some asymmetry going on... Let's say I put the desk on wall "C", centered between walls "B" and "D". That would put my left monitor up against the drywall and my right monitor in front of an empty space with a window behind it. That would seem pretty off-balance, considering I would have subs at the back of my monitors reflecting in drastically different ways. I could scoot everything over, so there's not a window behind it, but that would be even more asymmetrical than having it on wall "A".
    That being said, your point about not being able to put a bass trap in the door corner is interesting... What do I do about that?! :0 Also, should I worry about having a hollow door, yet?

Seems that the best position (acoustically speaking) would be to cover up both windows and put the desk centered on wall "C", correct? I just don't know If I'm willing to cover up both windows...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Are you doing anything else in that room except mixing - tracking for example? Any other gear/furniture?
    Thanks for this question! I definitely should've talked about that...
    I use it for mixing, tracking vocals, and tracking instruments (mainly acoustic guitar).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    I use it for mixing, tracking vocals, and tracking instruments (mainly acoustic guitar).
    Most of us have to multi-use our rooms, too. Putting a desk in the 'ideal' spot in a small room seldom works because you're not left with enough room to do anything else! You might do better to put your desk up against the wall on the left or right, centering it, and trying to make things as symmetrical as you can. If you leave that door open, it's a partial 'trap' in that no sound bounces back from the opening. You can always put traps on a stand (or hanging from ceiling) and place them across the corner (with door closed) when using the room.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Pick a wall that makes the most sense with regards to comfort/ergonomics when furnished.
    Wall hangings/drapes/pillows etc...added in the voids leftover.

G

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Most of us have to multi-use our rooms, too. Putting a desk in the 'ideal' spot in a small room seldom works because you're not left with enough room to do anything else! You might do better to put your desk up against the wall on the left or right, centering it, and trying to make things as symmetrical as you can. If you leave that door open, it's a partial 'trap' in that no sound bounces back from the opening. You can always put traps on a stand (or hanging from ceiling) and place them across the corner (with door closed) when using the room.
    Trying the desk against the wall might work, but how will you know? Again, testing or listening to test tones would be helpful. Or if you have very good ears and know what to look for. Although, sadly, most of us don't.

Which wall to use comes down, in part, to the choice between light and sound. I'd vote for sound. Unless you are planning to paint with water colors and need some decent North light. Besides, you don't have to completely block the windows. Panels on stands about 4" off the wall/window will most likely give you that adequate first reflection point coverage.

A far as the bass trap/door problem. You mostly need the corner trap for mixing. So make or buy two that can be stacked and moved. Cover the door with the trap for your final mixes and put a sign on the door: Mixing in progress. Then, roll away the stone, my friend! While you're tracking, the door trap can simply be pushed off to the side.

Thread Information