Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where Should I Put My Studio Desk?

Thanks

Where Should I Put My Studio Desk?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Howdy folks,
    Now that I have finished installing hardwood flooring in my studio, I'm looking seriously into "doing it right" with speaker placement, acoustic treatment, etc. I don't have any "proper" treatment yet (just bookshelves and stuff like that), but it seems like finding the best position for my speakers/desk would be a good place to start.
    The room I am using is 14' 6'' X 11' 6'' with drywall walls and a 7' drywall ceiling. The windows are 1.5' deep (as shown in the drawing) due to the odd "pole barn" type construction of the house. The door (for now) is just a standard hollow interior door.

From the research I've done, I'm leaning toward the idea the best position (acoustically speaking) would be to have the desk about a foot (?) out from wall "A",and centered between the edge of the door and the wall A/B corner.
    That being said, this could be totally misguided...

So what do you guys think (acoustically speaking) is the best place and position for my studio desk?

Oh, and I'm using 5'' M-audio Bx5a studio monitors.

I would really appreciate any advise on desk placement, and some guidance on what esle to adress first (for example, would it be better to spend my money on better monitors, before I spend it on bass traps etc?).

Thanks in advance for y'alls input!
    Here's a diagram of my room:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1528bbf0-848e-483c-ae30-9d353384851d-jpeg  

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    Your head should be 5.5' from the short wall. Assuming your speakers are 1.5' from the wall, put them 4' apart.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Massive Master For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't spend more on monitors until you have the room well-treated acoustically.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You won't know where to put the desk until you know. For me, at least, this is a progressive process. I would treat the room with the basic stuff that most rooms have: Four corner base traps (floor to ceiling if possible), a ceiling cloud, and panels at the first reflection points along the side wall. I would position the desk about a third of the way off the front wall (Massive's numbers posted above). Then I would measure using something like Room EQ Wizzard (REW) and tweak the desk, the speakers, and the listening position. Start with the desk in the suggested position and then move it in increments (6" or 12") towards the front wall and see what the measurements tell you. It may work better flush or close to the wall or it may not. The key is to know what sound deficits exist at the spot where your head will mix. Only measuring, well-trained ears, or a series or test tones will tell you that. Most of the suggested recommendations are theoretical. I prefer data based on a specific room.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dwillis45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Don't spend more on monitors until you have the room well-treated acoustically.
    And be prepared to move your desk again when you get your new monitors. Like I said it's a process.

Thanks
    You may also face another decision: Which short wall to use. My eye says don't face the door. Face the window. It looks more symmetrical to me and symmetry is important. On the other hand, placing corner traps is going to be hard with the door located in the corner. And off the top of my head, I can't tell which is more important: having traps in the front corners or in the rear. I'd say all corners, but if you can't put a trap near the door, this may affect which way the desk faces. Again, it gets back to your particular room and how front and rear corner traps work. Does that make any sense?
    Last edited by dwillis45; 04-15-2019 at 17:22.

Thanks
    Walls B/C with the windows knee walls Chris?

G

Thanks
    Of course, now that I see the side wall window, that may influence your choice. If you can't cover that window with a first reflection point panel, you probably can't place the desk facing the short wall with the other window. Did I mention that this was a process.

Thanks
    Are you doing anything else in that room except mixing - tracking for example? Any other gear/furniture?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post

From the research I've done, I'm leaning toward the idea the best position (acoustically speaking) would be to have the desk about a foot (?) out from wall "A",and centered between the edge of the door and the wall A/B corner.
    I'd opt for the center of the room, not the center between the edge of the door and the corner. Left-right symmetry should be a basic goal.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dwillis45 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information