Where Should I Put My Studio Desk?

Does anyone actually 'bite' at the bot leads? I guess I just think/hope humans have more integrity and wit about them. Oh, but then who is 'them or they' anymore? Ugh.

The trouble is, I'm always nosey enough to click on them to see what crazy link people have dreamed up, which I supposed is what they want (or more often, the people they are paying to make them think their site is busier!)

Joking aside, in these topics I always remember when I changed the design of my studio, and put in of all things a small chroma key wall, with a curve - something that shouldn't be in an audio studio. The result was an unwelcome change to the 'sound'. My speakers are on tall stands - big metal things, so I played some music and tried them all over - and the best sounding, perhaps even better than it was before the curved wall, was half way down the rectangular (roughly) room, facing back to the wall I used to be looking at when working. So I built a new desk and put it 180 degrees round, at the right distance from the speakers, and it's great to work in. It's a bit odd to have about 16ft of space behind the speakers, but it works rather well. I'd never have thought of this without just playing with moving the stands around.

Last edited:
Don't spend more on monitors until you have the room well-treated acoustically.

+ 1 about

and just as well :
remember that ears must hear the "source" not the monitor / speakers ,
then the monitor have to be the much trasparent and clean as possible ,

as very few and rather expensive are available on the market .

hope this help , cheers .

Hey, could you write down the exact specifications of how you positioned the table? I want to finish renovating my studio and I have already installed soundproofing but I need to know the calculations for the table placement. I don't know how to do it right yet, but I plan on sticking them on the sides of the walls (attic ceiling diagonal) and long walls. I will have one of these tables https://eurekaergonomic.com/standing-desks/ with a lift mechanism. I also plan to put extra drawers on the side for hardware, stands, and stuff. How will it affect the acoustics and what is the peculiarity of the table arrangement?

Last edited:
There really aren't any that will work unless you know all the parameters of your completed room - as in the designed data and the achieved data. Get yourself and office chair with castors and your speakers and move them around until you get the sound you want. Soundproofing is what keeps outside sound out and inside sound from annoying those outside. It does nothing for the sound inside the room. Most sound treatment absorbs, reflects or diffuses the audio in the room - so probably the best thing to do is play a track through your monitors that you know extremely well and has lots of highs and lows. This year, one track I keep hearing again and again for people setting up big PAs in theatre is Steely Dan's Aja track. It's quite uncompressed, has highs and lows - thick sounds, guitars - a sort of track with everything in it, but exposed. It reveals problems in small and big rooms.

Move the speakers, move the chair - play the track. Adjust and repeat. Once the speakers and the position have been found - then you work out the furniture. I have never found any form of maths or processes that will predict a rooms optimum positioning. Ease and other audio software doesn't account for what you have done to the room.

I do wonder if you have already put in the sound treatment (not proofing) but how did you decide where and what you used? Most folk add the treatment to solve specific issues - so horrible waffly boom bass means corner traps and maybe absorbers, excessive HF can be tamed with foam tiles, but reflections from parallel walls might need more serious treatment. To make these choices, you would play the music, but then you can't move the speakers as the treatment will be in the wrong place? Chicken and Egg.

Back