Where does the bathroom go?

audiopro

I already posted about my Shed / Tiki Bar / Studio / Entertainment Environment that I am trying to have built [actually a studio, but I see so much more that it could be : )]

The structure is going to have to go on a concrete slab due to the size. I am thinking about plumbing it for a bathroom, kitchenette thingy, and possibly even a Jacuzzi [or Jacuzzi tub, I guess]. The plumbing will have to be laid out to go in with the slab.

It'll be about 20'-30' wide and 30'-40' long, and I'm trying to decide where to put the bathroom, kitchen, and jacuzzi.

My tendency is to put all that at the entrance to the building, and possibly wall it off, so that everything beyond it is open, symmetrical space available for tracking, mixing, mastering, and so forth.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this issue to share? I there a smarter or better way to lay it out? Something that's known to work well?

Thanks,

audiopro

I'm hopelessly confused - I have no idea what this is intending to be? Tracking mixing and mastering - mixed in with a bar and a jacuzzi and a kitchen, but you are not going a proper internal studio construction? So the plumbing noises and kitchen sounds will be a feature of your mixes? Sorry but this doesn't;t sound like a studio build at all - just a very expensive shed with a man cave inside. As we're a home recording forum, can we forget the silly stuff and concentrate on audio? I'd be very interested in your sound proofing, sound treatment, heating and cooling, power, facilities etc - but surely the serious stuff begins wherever your silly stuff finishes? To answer this question we need to talk about the layout of kitchens, sewer pipework, pipework and stuff like that - which is not really our thing. Do you really want us to discuss the benefits of a long thin kitchen vs square one, or a sunken or surface mount bath?

You could also have added this to the other topic. Maybe I'm just grumpy, but you have design drawings for your space, and are rejecting things like a little extra height, for cost reasons, but now adding half of a home extension. If you can't raise the hight of the walls for cost reasons, did you consider lowering the floor? Leave the edges at ground height, and lower the internal slab area by a few feet?

Rob is a long-standing and valuable member of the community here. He doesn't have any history of "trashing" threads for the sport of it. He does, however, have a reputation for lending his vast experience to help people around here. If someone with his deep and wide experience in our areas of interest says to take a step back and rethink what you're trying to accomplish, then I think it's time to take a deep breath, step back, and rethink what you're trying to accomplish.

Is it a recording studio with amenities, or is it a man cave with some audio gear in it? Either is fine. But both have different angles to approach it from. This is an audio recording forum, so our interests will lie in optimizing the space for just that: audio recording.

Rob is a long-standing and valuable member of the community here. He doesn't have any history of "trashing" threads for the sport of it. He does, however, have a reputation for lending his vast experience to help people around here. If someone with his deep and wide experience in our areas of interest says to take a step back and rethink what you're trying to accomplish, then I think it's time to take a deep breath, step back, and rethink what you're trying to accomplish.

Is it a recording studio with amenities, or is it a man cave with some audio gear in it? Either is fine. But both have different angles to approach it from. This is an audio recording forum, so our interests will lie in optimizing the space for just that: audio recording.

Seconded T. More money than manners methinks?

Dave.

Just take off man. You are way off, and completely unhelpful. Really. Don't trash my threads.

audiopro

Yeah man, you either want advice or you don't. Blaming people for trashing your ideas seems more like you have already made your decisions and want reinforcement for what you think is right.

That is what FB is for. :(

If you wish to get real and experienced input, I suggest you don't tell members to 'take off'. I know Rob is guy with much experience and a good heart. You should likely apologize to him. Just sayin...

I have quite a bit of experience with recording and room treatment. I also have been remodeling bathrooms for 30 years now. All trades.

Your demeanor is not giving me the desire to help if you are going to negate one members answer because it does not suit you.

I agree with the 'Take a deep breath' comment. You sound stressed out...

Since you are using feet for dimensions, we can at least assume you are in the USA. I don't think there is any area of the country where you don't need either heat or air conditioning and most likely both. That means you need a utility room, at the very least, and need to think of the noise of HVAC as well as the points already brought up by Rob. Even bare-bones, you are looking at a budget of around $300,00 to construct a 30x40 building. Cut it down to 20x30 and by the time you add a bathroom in one corner and a little kitchette and the utilities, your actual studio might be 20'x22' (and square or close to square is not good for acoustics). Industrial 'shell' construction doesn't it cut it for anything other than warehouse/manufacturing use unless you build a structure within the shell. With the dimensions you are showing for those roof trusses, I would think you need steel or at least 2x6 stud wall construction - these days no one uses 2x4s for exterior walls any more.

My room is 24' x 35' on a concrete slab. Mine is multipurpose, like yours sounds like it will be. I'd love to do mine over, but it works. Mine is completely open. I can get good sounds and track live bands...my main goal. If I could do it again, I would have a 3/4 bathroom near the entrance and an open kitchenette area near the bathroom...for plumbing ease. I would also have a mechanicals room and a storage closet. I would put all of this near the entrance on my 24' wall and leave as much room open as possible.

Currently, I have an oil fired furnace for heat and a small window air conditioner for virtually no cooling. They are too loud for my purposes. I have a mini-split that I have yet to install. I hope it will work for me.

I've got my drums kinda centered in the room and all my amps lined against 1 long wall. it works fine, but I think that I'd rather have my drums near the end of my room along the shorter wall and have kind of a "stage" area.

Back