Where do I start?

markanthony

Hi !

I want to set up my own studio a home, and I have not got a clue where to start with regards to equipment, studio design etc. I have been a singer on the circuit for about 6 years, solo and with bands, and I do have some equipment already which I hope to adapt to my studio. I have done quite a bit of recording in the past in other studios as a singer, but now I want to learn the other side of recording/producing so I can work more on my own recording.

The equipment I already have is:

Pevey 2000 k amp
Studio club DSP mixing desk
radio mike etc.

Not much for a studio I hear you say!

I am soon to aquire another computer and cubase.

What else do I need as far as equipment ?
And what advise would you offer with regards to designing a studio?

Monkey

I'm assuming by your equipment list you are not THE markanthony...

As far as your questions go, they are kind of broad. What do you want in your studio? What do you want it to look like? What kind of space do you have? What does an etc. do? Is it made by berhinger? How much do you have/want to spend?

I would almost think it would be easier for you to read these forums, for your questions have already been answered in other threads.

Read up and ask something more specific.

Sorry Im new to this

The thing is im not quite sure what I want, or need in my studio. I would like to be able to produce my own songs from scratch, record vocals/instruments to mix and produce good quality recordings.

I have a room about 3m wide x 5m long with a very high ceiling, and again I have no idea how to design a workable studio thats why I was asking the question.

With regards to a buget. I have around £1000 - £1500 to spend to get me started at the moment, I have no idea if this will even be close to what I need. how much does iit cost to set up a decent studio at home?

Monkey

Again, I think we come back to specifics.

What type of music do you record? What computer system are you most comfortable with? If the exchange rates in my head are still good to go, it looks like you've got about $1500-$2000 (US) to spend.

What instruments are you interested in recording? Will it be just you, or do you plan on having other musicians recording in the studio?

Back