What is the life of acoustic foam?

I wrapped all my fiberglass traps with a super thin layer of plastic drop-cloth...about as thin as plastic food wrap...which has no significant effect on audio passing through it, but guarantees that no glass fibers will ever get out...though it was probably overkill, since the fiberglass panels were aluminum/paper covered on one face and wood covered on the sides/tops...plus polyester felt covered on both faces...and finally acoustic cloth covered on both faces as the final layer.
Considering that these are very large/deep traps that are multi-use "mobile" and not permanently installed...I just wanted the extra insurance that the fiberglass would be sealed.
For permanent mounting on walls, I think fibers escaping is not a real concern. On ceilings....mmm....I think I would want to seal them.

I think very well thought out and my concerns exactly but on some of the videos on the subject there is no specification to the material that is used.

I would prefer more natural types of insulation and enquired about such when purchasing it but it is so incredibly expensive compared to fibreglass types.

The sheeps wool stuff really confuses me as wool has no value (ask any sheep farmer) but sheeps wool insulation will break the bank. Anyway I would rip my skin off so it is foam, moveable Rockwool panels and an experiment with old towels when they arrive.

I would prefer more natural types of insulation and enquired about such when purchasing it but it is so incredibly expensive compared to fibreglass types.

That's why I went with the fiberglass board...the price and the fact that they are pretty much the standard fill for traps.
Also...don't let the "more natural" thing be a major driving force. While I do prefer cotton for most of my clothing vs. synthetics or blends, cotton is VERY linty, and cotton fibers can be inhaled just like fiberglass, and apparently from studies done, it doesn't dissolve in your lungs, where the fiberglass particles actually do.
Not sure if that makes one really better than the other...but I get the feeling that something NOT dissolving, means it just accumulates and sits there.
Think about that.
Wool also will shed fibers like crazy. So from that perspective, you're just choosing between which potential fibers you will be possibly inhaling should they come lose and out of the traps during their lifespan in your studio. I think the biggest point of concern is actually during construction of the traps, but once sealed, not so much.

Old towels...mmm...not sure what benefit there is to them at all, and the fact that they are old, just means they will shed cotton lint that much easier/quicker...as can be witnessed by what you find in your dryer when doing laundry over the years. New cotton garments hold up for a good period...but as they get older, they tend to shed faster...which of course is great for getting those comfortable well-worn T-shirts...:D...but not sure about using old towels for insulation. :)

That's why I went with the fiberglass board...the price and the fact that they are pretty much the standard fill for traps.
Also...don't let the "more natural" thing be a major driving force. While I do prefer cotton for most of my clothing vs. synthetics or blends, cotton is VERY linty, and cotton fibers can be inhaled just like fiberglass, and apparently from studies done, it doesn't dissolve in your lungs, where the fiberglass particles actually do.
Not sure if that makes one really better than the other...but I get the feeling that something NOT dissolving, means it just accumulates and sits there.
Think about that.
Wool also will shed fibers like crazy. So from that perspective, you're just choosing between which potential fibers you will be possibly inhaling should they come lose and out of the traps during their lifespan in your studio. I think the biggest point of concern is actually during construction of the traps, but once sealed, not so much.

Old towels...mmm...not sure what benefit there is to them at all, and the fact that they are old, just means they will shed cotton lint that much easier/quicker...as can be witnessed by what you find in your dryer when doing laundry over the years. New cotton garments hold up for a good period...but as they get older, they tend to shed faster...which of course is great for getting those comfortable well-worn T-shirts...:D...but not sure about using old towels for insulation. :)

Yes I suppose you are correct especially when the polyester side of it, or basically plastic side of it is being found everywhere in our food now with no known (as yet) health effects. I am sure they will find some before long.

Is it too late to pun from the OP first thread subject?

I would have said 'zero' days. :D

Last edited:
It's not not like these mineral or fiber products go on 'off-gassing little shards through their coverings -unless you go about 'smacking them as you walk by.. do they?
Every once in a while I vacuum everything. But that's more a dust thing. Def an irritant..

It's not not like these mineral or fiber products go on 'off-gassing little shards through their coverings -unless you go about 'smacking them as you walk by.. do they?
Every once in a while I vacuum everything. But that's more a dust thing. Def an irritant..

Nope. Unless you disturb the fibers. Like a dog or cat ripping at them...

Or creepy singers that just feel the need for a scratching post...lol

:laughings::spank::laughings:

I know, I am not a fan of foam, but as I said I use it in a few places where it can fix a small problem. Now egg cartons :facepalm::facepalm:

:eatpopcorn:

Alan.

The good stuff I have seen last for decades. The crappy aftermarket stuff, not so much. But all of it in reality is pretty stuff that can be used for a bit of high end absorption.

I just gave away two of the 'supposed' Auralex corner bass traps. They were purple and didn't fit the studio vibe... Not to mention they didn't absorb bass frequencies. Trash IMO to begin with. But I got them for free so I gave forward. :)

They still as pretty as they were new.

The good stuff I have seen last for decades. The crappy aftermarket stuff, not so much. But all of it in reality is pretty stuff that can be used for a bit of high end absorption.

I just gave away two of the 'supposed' Auralex corner bass traps. They were purple and didn't fit the studio vibe... Not to mention they didn't absorb bass frequencies. Trash IMO to begin with. But I got them for free so I gave forward. :)

They still as pretty as they were new.

Do you think they will gather Christmas wrapping paper and new owner in a few weeks time?:)

I suppose you could take it from that when they tell you to take precautions and wear a mask, goggles and gloves when working/handling it?

I have foam from 1999 that's been thru a move and is still squishy(auralex) so I guess it completely depends on manufacture.

I have foam from 1999 that's been thru a move and is still squishy(auralex) so I guess it completely depends on manufacture.

There are a lot of foam products that are sold and/or used for acoustic treatment, but it's not always the same type or quality of foam, or what is true acoustic foam.
I too have high-end foam panels that have thick Guilford of Main acoustic cloth covering, that are probably 20 years old...and there is zero deterioration.
They do a great job with killing the hard reflection of sheetrock, and they help set them up for adding broadband & bass traps. I have a couple of walls nearly covered with them as the first layer (there are still some hard surface areas)...and they did a great job of "pushing" the walls back some, to create a greater sense of depth by taking out the early/hard reflections.

foam does absolutely nothing to block or stop standing waves,

While neither foam nor Rockwool work well at bass frequencies, the right type of acoustic foam can be just as effective as Rockwool at higher frequencies. The main advantage of Rockwool is that it is cheaper than acoustic foam. Many years ago Studiospares used to have an arch lined with their acoustic foam that they took around to exhibitions. Standing in the middle of the arch was an interesting experience - the lack of reflections was almost eerie and the background noise became less intrusive.

While neither foam nor Rockwool work well at bass frequencies, the right type of acoustic foam can be just as effective as Rockwool at higher frequencies. The main advantage of Rockwool is that it is cheaper than acoustic foam. Many years ago Studiospares used to have an arch lined with their acoustic foam that they took around to exhibitions. Standing in the middle of the arch was an interesting experience - the lack of reflections was almost eerie and the background noise became less intrusive.

All have sound absorbing qualities to a greater or lesser degree but there does appear to be some who just hate foam:)

Not sure anyone 'hates' foam. The high end and 'expensive' Auralex does a good job for it's purpose. Bass trapping is not one of it's better qualities. The promotion of the corner wedges as bass traps is close to ridiculous and likely false advertising. The same size bass trap made of rockwool would likely be as ineffective. There is more to bass traps than just a chunk of it in a corner.

Rockwool is better for bass trapping than the foam can ever be because of the ability to create panels with a space between the material and wall's', but then I have also heard that the fluffy pink performs better. Problem is with the space it takes for any product to do well at lower frequencies and how any particular situation/space allows it to be used.

For instance, my control room ceiling is filled with the typical pink stuff with cloth covering it. Still have 4" thick wall to ceiling rockwool panels in the back vertical corners.

My drum room ceiling joists are filled with 4" rockwool at the bottom, leaving a 8" gap between the ceiling above and the rockwool. All covered with cloth. It is quite amazing how much difference that made in the rooms sound.

Though after speaking with others that do this for a living, I likely could have saved a bunch of money by just filling that space with the cheaper pink stuff. All I know is foam sure as hell was not as effective in any way for my application. Great for some high end reflections, but by no means a useful product for controlling low end frequencies.

I think everybody agrees that you have to use the correct type of acoustic foam and not just any that either looks pretty or appears to look like acoustic foam. The correct acoustic foam absorbs higher frequencies (in voice and some instruments) that we can hear.

Rockwool/fiberglass does same and lower frequencies as well but at 2" and 4" thick? Well thats another argument but I think much thicker for lower frequencies.

Other materials can do just as good if not better jobs but it all comes down to money.

Back