What Kind Of Insulation Between The Walls

khoury0044

I'm a drummer of 2 years and me and my father are going to build me a sound room in the backyard so i can play so far the dimensions are 12x14ft with 8 ft walls.NOW.. my questions are 1) would you guys suggest double walls or single walls.. and 2) what kind of insulation do i need.. fiberglass? mineral wool.. and where can i purchase them...3) roughly if i wanted to deaden the sound as much as possible so neighbors wont call the cops how much money would you think is needed. The sound room is mainly for drumming and the background is spread out greatly enough so its about 100 ft to the neighbors houses..

khoury0044 said:
I'm a drummer of 2 years and me and my father are going to build me a sound room in the backyard so i can play so far the dimensions are 12x14ft with 8 ft walls.NOW.. my questions are 1) would you guys suggest double walls or single walls.. and 2) what kind of insulation do i need.. fiberglass? mineral wool.. and where can i purchase them...3) roughly if i wanted to deaden the sound as much as possible so neighbors wont call the cops how much money would you think is needed. The sound room is mainly for drumming and the background is spread out greatly enough so its about 100 ft to the neighbors houses..

1. Double walls - room within a room

2. Standard fiberglass insulation - you don't really gain much for all of the added cost of mineral wool.

3. - ballpark - 10 grand....... you need excavation - foundation - electrical - etc., etc.

It isn't going to be as cheap as building inside of the garage or basement.

Rod

What will the walls be made of? Well sound isolation is best achieved through a mass-air-mass setup, so double wall is a good idea. What you need is lots and lots of mass, such as bricks/blocks. For this you will probably need some kind of foundations. Also, with that much mass in the walls, you don't want it to be a waste of time, money and, effort, so need the floor, roof, and doors to isolate as much as the walls. What I'd do is: block for exterior wall, with a concrete floor and ceiling, and plasterboard stud wall for interior. Insulation between the block and plasterboard wont do much so isn't needed. I would also have a floating floor. You will also want a double door, both sealed and solid core(you could make your own from MDF). This little building will get very hot and stuffy in summer and will be cold in winter and there will be a lack of air flow(need air to breathe, lol), so you might wana get an air conditioning system installed. It will also be very reflective in the inside, and this adds to the volume, so you might wanna have some acoustic treatment to dampen the volume in the room, so it's less likely to annoy the neighbours, and to save your ears. Ohh yeh, and electrics. You are lucky to be so far from the neighbours. This will help a lot. And remember, it doesn't need to be totally soundproof just outside the building. It has the 100ft to travel, then through the neighbours walls, windows etc.

Attachments

• soundinsulatedbuilding.JPG
    soundinsulatedbuilding.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 57
  • soundinsulatedbuildingdoor.JPG
    soundinsulatedbuildingdoor.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 47
To further elaborate. For isolation you want a decoupled mass-cushion-mass construction (also called the box-in-a-box. The insulation inside the wall is to make the air space a cushioned air space (so that the gap doesn't have its own resonant frequencies. The other big concerns are keeping the two leafs decoupled, watching for ways that the sound can leak out such as around doors and electrical boxes, and then adding ventillation in a way that does not itself become a huge hole for sound to escape.

Innovations said:
To further elaborate. For isolation you want a decoupled mass-cushion-mass construction (also called the box-in-a-box. The insulation inside the wall is to make the air space a cushioned air space (so that the gap doesn't have its own resonant frequencies. The other big concerns are keeping the two leafs decoupled, watching for ways that the sound can leak out such as around doors and electrical boxes, and then adding ventillation in a way that does not itself become a huge hole for sound to escape.
This is true, but with a brick or block exterior and plasterboard interior, the "cushion" doesn't do a great deal. Check out Sae here for STC chart. It would really be a waste of money to add insulation to this stucture(block/block and plasterboard).

nice link pandamonk... i wonder what they use for insulation (fiberglass i assume)..
to keep your cost down i'd do the staggard double wall with wet-blown-in cellulose.. this has a MUCH higher stc then fiberglass or wool... plus it wont kill you ..

i think this would get your stc over 60... keys though..
1. decouple walls.
2. stagger studs.
3. all wall thicknesses (?) should be different (*ie. 3/4" outside 1/2"inside 5/8"inbetween if necessary)

gl

Everyone keeps suggesting plasterboard, which is great, but if this is an outdoor building, you will still need an outer layer. This is why is suggested blocks, also, you will want to render the blocks and use a weather seal of some kind.

Back