It's a 9' by 11' room with a barn shaped cieling which reaches up to 10 feet at the very top. The actual walls are only 6.5' high. The walls are parallel and I have heard that parallel is not good for sound.
Parallel walls are not good for sound in that reflections bounce into your listening area easier. Splayed (angled) walls, such as those in traditional studios, are done that way so that the reflections hit the wall and go behind you. They then, presumably, get absorbed somewhere in the room or diffused in some way.

That's a fairly small room you're dealing with there. I assume it is kind of like a bonus room or something, considering the parallel wall height and your description of the roof line shape. Your best bet is to put in some bass trapping and then treat those first reflection points. That should really be the first order of business. This is assuming you already know where you're sitting in the room, etc. You could build some angled resonators to direct sound away from your sweet spot, which is kind of mimicking the splayed wall approach. But that's getting kind of complicated and more difficult than just putting up some panels.

Last edited:
Thank You! Also, when it comes to bass trapping, is there a significant difference between rigid fiberglass and Roxul mineral wool?
There is a difference. I don't have the numbers in front of me on it but I don't think the difference is what I would call "significant". I assume that the Roxul is easier for you to get?

Back