Wall mounting studio monitors

Dans Klimkowski

Hi, i'm planning to buy studio monitors and mount them on the wall. Looking for the least expensive way to do this that will hold them securely.

I'm looking at JBL LSR305 now ( https://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR305-P...0892594&sr=8-1&keywords=studio+monitors+5+jbl )

These don't have VESA mounts and not sure what the best way to mount them is- the company recommended 300 dollar mount adapters which are out of my budget. I'm open to other similar studio monitors if theyre easier to mount.

Can you please advise on the best way to do this?

Thanks, Dan

Considering that those are rear-ported monitors...I would avoid placing them against the wall. You probably want about 2'-3' distance, but you can experiment, though in general, most rear-ported monitors don't do well against walls becuase you can get a skewed increase in bass frequencies.

JBL recommends speaker stands.

Why wall mounted...?

Miroslav is right. These are not suitable for wall mounting. If you really have to wall mount speakers then get some with either no bass port or the bass port on the front. Seach Google for hi-fi speaker brackets for cheaper ones. Make sure they are spec'd to cope with weight of your speakers and provide enough space behind them for connectors and controls.

Last edited:
I used to use TV mounts... They were made for - you know - televisions. With cathode ray tubes. Kept them away from the wall and on an angle to the floor. No idea where I'd look for such things these days though...

You can sort of see what I'm talking about with the small monitors in this old shot...

stacks-image-2d0cce6-800x600.jpg

It actually worked reasonably well all things considered... But you have to make all those measurements right-freaking-on before you mount them unless they're unusually adjustable.

hang them in a flower pot hanger, if you have to. You are better with something nailed down to dampen vibrations, but get some crochet hooks and have at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody for the replies, very helpful!

Considering that those are rear-ported monitors...I would avoid placing them against the wall. You probably want about 2'-3' distance, but you can experiment, though in general, most rear-ported monitors don't do well against walls becuase you can get a skewed increase in bass frequencies.

JBL recommends speaker stands.

Why wall mounted...?

I don’t have space for standup stands, but I do for wall mounts.

Miroslav is right. These are not suitable for wall mounting. If you really have to wall mount speakers then get some with either no bass port or the bass port on the front. Seach Google for hi-fi speaker brackets for cheaper ones. Make sure they are spec'd to cope with weight of your speakers and provide enough space behind them for connectors and controls.

I’ve never heard of hi-fi speaker brackets before. Not a lot that seemed like it would work came up on my search. A lot of short wall mounts, and I’m also not sure what type of mounting to look for. Are there any terms I should add to the search or things I should look out for?

Could something like these work?
https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Ar...490892510&sr=8-1&keywords=monitor+wall+mounts

I’m not sure if speakers usually have VESA mounts, or if there is a different method of mounting though. It’s my first time buying studio monitors.

Maybe this is the kind of thing that is best to go to a guitar center or something to check out rather than researching online?

hang them in a flower pot hanger, if you have to. You are better with something nailed down to dampen vibrations, but get some crochet hooks and have at it.

Are you serious? lol... If its screwed in the wall on a mount wouldnt that dampen vibrations?

I've seen Heresy hanging from the ceiling. This is just regular placement stuff. You may think you need some gadget, but you don't. Rear ports should be out from the walls, so you are choosing boxes that aren't really wall mount happy. The best I could do with 5-inch rear ported was about 10-inches out, and in my case it worked well enough ('cept for that corner hahaha ) I also had to soft stuff the ports.

With regular wall mount shelf brackets, you can beef them up for extending the wall distance. Wall bracket, then wood on top to extend the distance, then inverted bracket to extend load further up the wall. Mount them on wood shelf, or, just have narrow wood just extending the distance and hang from that point, etc..

Back