Walk-In Closet Anechoic Chamber?

Kenith

Would like to build an anechoic chamber using my walk-in closet and common everyday items.

Searched the forum using "anechoic chamber" but did not find anything relevant.

Appreciate any suggestions or tips, especially by anyone who has built one.

Thanks

Ken

From closet "vocal booth" (which only works in movies anyway) to closet "anechoic chambers" now...?

I searched Google for "anechoic chamber" and came up with 100's of documents and photographs of anechoic chambers... None of which would fit into most houses, much less a closet.

If you want it to be anechoic down to the lowest audible frequencies then the treatments will take up more volume than the closet.

The good news is that you probably don't really need an anechoic chamber. The bad news is that the closet is probably still too small for good recordings.

You made me google for this? :cursing:

An anechoic chamber (an-echoic meaning non-echoing or echo-free) is a room designed to completely absorb reflections of either sound or electromagnetic waves. They are also insulated from exterior sources of noise. The combination of both aspects means they simulate a quiet open-space of infinite dimension, which is useful when exterior influences would otherwise give false results.

View attachment 79171

I built an archaic chamber in my studio. It was an old store room and I use old materials that I had kicking around and built it with my old tools that I've had forever.

It's 8' long by 5' wide and 7' tall. I use it for isolating my amp and vocals so that I don't disturb my neighbors (townhouse) and the furnace won't bother my recordings. Also, when the dog is walking around upstairs, you can't hear it in the room.

Incidentally, I'm archaic, too.

You made me google for this? :cursing:

An anechoic chamber (an-echoic meaning non-echoing or echo-free) is a room designed to completely absorb reflections of either sound or electromagnetic waves. They are also insulated from exterior sources of noise. The combination of both aspects means they simulate a quiet open-space of infinite dimension, which is useful when exterior influences would otherwise give false results.

View attachment 79171
That's a helluva closet...

If you want it to be anechoic down to the lowest audible frequencies then the treatments will take up more volume than the closet.

The good news is that you probably don't really need an anechoic chamber. The bad news is that the closet is probably still too small for good recordings.

Bingo!

Anechoic chambers aren't used for recordings at all, but measurements only. They are not comfortable to be in at all.
If you wanted to make a room that is as dead as possible, use the thickest pink fluffy insulation you can find on every surface. Cover with fabric. Done!

Back