walk in booth

ronydarippa

hello everyone, i builT a vocal booth out of wood on my wall and filled the sides with auralex foam. the booth is only 3ft wide and 3ft deep. the sound in the booth sounds completely dead. compared to the room itself. the mic is placed in the center of the booth. is the booth too small? would it be better if it didn't sound as dead?

i have a picture attached. check it out.

any ideas are appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• booth.gif
    booth.gif
    28.7 KB · Views: 112
Is the booth attached to the wall in such a way that it's not sitting on the floor?

Also, completely dead spaces don't necessarily give the best results. You probably want control, but not a dead space to work with.

yes its is attached to the wall.

when im inside, the voice sounds dead to a point were it sounds very thick or muffled wen im speaking or singing. the farther i go in the deader it sounds. is that a good thing or a bad thing to work with?

when im inside, the voice sounds dead to a point were it sounds very thick or muffled wen im speaking or singing. the farther i go in the deader it sounds. is that a good thing or a bad thing to work with?

It's a bad thing. 3X3 feet????Seriously??? :eek:

What made you think it would sound like anything other than a box...because it is a box. Why did you feel the need to build a box to sing in???

yes its is attached to the wall.

Okay... I personally would recommend rethinking this idea. If things are sounding thick and muffled like you say, that's definitely not a good thing. Again, as I said earlier, you want to be able to control things, and working in a space like this is not your best bet. I'd definitely consider taking your box down and building something else with the material... your mixes will thank you in the long run.

Why did you feel the need to build a box to sing in???

It might have sounded like a rhetorical question, but I'm serious. Do you not think singing in your main room would be better than singing in a "booth"? If not, why?

It might have sounded like a rhetorical question, but I'm serious. Do you not think singing in your main room would be better than singing in a "booth"? If not, why?

Couldn't agree more. A 3x3 box is a terrible idea. Sorry. Tear in apart and burn the wood to keep you warm.

Frank

when im inside, the voice sounds dead to a point were it sounds very thick or muffled wen im speaking or singing.

So its not dead then... you've just softened up some of the high end reflections which might make it sound less 'ringy', but then messing up everything below that by sticking your head in a box...

ok,

i will be renting out a 21 x 21 x 12 room.
the booth will be going in one of the corners.

what is shown in red is what im thinking of doing.

red = wood studs with fiberglass insulation and Sheetrock for walls.

any ideas, corrections, or ad dons are appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• roomm.gif
    roomm.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 71
any ideas, corrections, or ad dons are appreciated.

For a start...

zvplbm.gif

First, since the room is 21x21 there's not much point in angling the walls as you've shown above. All you'll succeed in doing is reducing the overall room volume, gaining little in the way of accuracy. If you really want to angle the walls, then at least dump the booth idea. There's no point to it. It'll just be a tiny little box that will sound like crap no matter what you do to it. You might as well treat the room as a whole and record in there. You should have plenty of space in the back.

Frank

i will get feedback if im recording in the control room. i will be recording vocals only and would like to monitor of the monitors an dnot head phones. any suggestions? maybe split the room in 2? what if i just put bass traps in the corners and not angle the walls. i would much prefer that since its less work for me.

The room isn't big enough to split in two. If you do you'll just create two rooms that are acoustically worse the the single large room.

Listen, lots and lots of people record in a single room using good closed back headphones. The fact that you'd rather not monitor with headphones is not a good reason to build a tiny room that's going to sound awful. I know it's not what you want to do, but since you posted in this forum I'm giving you the best *acoustics* advice I can give you...keep the room whole, treat it adequately and record in there.

Frank

Last edited:
Back