Using free craigslist glass for studio windows

notartmusic

Hello everyone,

My business partner and I recently scored two crates (16 panes) of 29"x96" 1/4" glass in excellent condition for free on craigslist. We're definitely going to use some of it to build tall room dividers/gobos but we were wondering if we'd be able to use it for the window assembly in our new studio build as well.

It's a double wall construction so there will be a control room side window as well as a live room side window.

My plan as of now is to butt 2 panes together for one side and 3 for the other, putting each side at a slight angle to reduce visible light reflections.

Is this the best solution to use this material? Will the panes rattle against each other? Do I really need to laminate them together (that seems to be an inefficiently expensive option)?

All thoughts and suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you!

I would not butt the panes together, In actual fact if you used 3 panes with an air gap in between I think you would reduce the sound enough anyway. I have 2 x 6mm (approx 1/4") with an air space and there is next to no sound getting through with a band on the other side. Frames need to be separated.

Alan.

Thanks for the response Alan!

Simply using two of the panes (one on each wall assembly) was the plan from the beginning, but now that I have so much extra glass I figured I could increase the thickness of one (or both) sides by doubling the panes up, and that would lead to less transmission through the windows, but you think that 3 separate panes would be better? Would that look weird or have strange light reflections? I've never seen a studio window with 3 panes of glass, that could be interesting.

The air space is 3.5" between the wall assemblies so the panes will be at least that far apart. Probably farther including the placement of the window frames and the angle of the glass.

Thanks again for your response!

Mine are 6mm, two on each wall, separated by 50mm. Parallel to each other because if you splay them you can get really weird reflections and double images. Light through 4 panes is down a bit, but perfectly fine.

The best thing I have found for studio glass is sliding glass patio doors.
You can go to these junk places that salvage doors and find patio doors where the spring in the bottom roller is shot....they are useless as a sliding glass patio door at that point.

They will sell a pair of them for like $10.

The glass is already framed and sealed in a metal frame. So, you can put 2 together and have a huge double glass sound proof live room window for little or nothing.
It's what I have in my studio.

Last edited:
Craigslist always has cubicle dividers in the free section. 4-6 feet high. Put em around the drummer to turn him down. He's quieter, everyone else can turn down-and you can hear the vocals.

Back