Use the bedroom and turn it into a home studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeco

Room_sketch.jpg

In the above image, you will see a 16-meter room. The table's bedside table, wardrobe and speakers are marked. As you can see, with a regular arrangement and arrangement, you can have a rest room. There was also a studio for music.

deconik

But square rooms are terrible for acoustics. And where's the acoustic treatment?

It's there, on the drawing. Closet, bed, table, curtains, carpeting, perhaps an extra carpet. :thumbs up:

I record in the attic with stacked stuff and sometimes the laundry drying, and i can tell you there's no better way to kill unwanted side tones than that. :listeningmusic: Although have to admit that the roof ain't square.
Never seen the carpets on the floors and big curtains on walls in real studio's? It doesn't always have to cost huge piles of money. ;)

It's there, on the drawing. Closet, bed, table, curtains, carpeting, perhaps an extra carpet. :thumbs up:

I record in the attic with stacked stuff and sometimes the laundry drying, and i can tell you there's no better way to kill unwanted side tones than that. :listeningmusic: Although have to admit that the roof ain't square.
Never seen the carpets on the floors and big curtains on walls in real studio's? It doesn't always have to cost huge piles of money. ;)

'Real studios' are designed with acoustics in mind - minimum parallel walls, no square rooms, ideal dimensions. Behind the curtains are rockwool insulation (panels or in the walls themselves). Carpet? Maybe in spots, but most studios wave wood flooring. None of the things you mention are acoustic treatment, they are 'making do without spending any money'. Sorry, just trying to help. I didn't believe trapping was the answer either - until I added a bunch in my room.

'Real studios' are designed with acoustics in mind - minimum parallel walls, no square rooms, ideal dimensions.

Ow man, that's such a myth.
Look these vids. You can see that it's some portable walls within some kind of wide open storage hall (look at the sealing).

Exact like the many studio's i've seen. Square, hardly any sound isolation on the wall, wood walls.
Indeed they have some corners made soundproof like for vocal recording while the main studio isn't that acoustically isolated at all.
No you better not play in a total square empty hall, but many recording (professional famous hitsong) studio's don't have what homerecorders is adviced.

Don't forget that many (home recording ;) ) houses have temperature isolation already, which does a big part for sound isolation already. Like my attic is (temperature) isolated with a wooden double ceiling.

[Full Movie] Metallica - making of Hardwired... To Self Destruct - YouTube

Look these vids. You can see that it's some portable walls within some kind of wide open storage hall (look at the sealing).

Exact like the many studio's i've seen. Square, hardly any sound isolation on the wall

Ever took a good look at Abbay road studio's?
Square big room in an old building. Some curtains and some on the walls, some sound breakers and benders, and not that much more. The Beatles too created some sound corners with some portable walls.
Many building parts are still to be seen, like (industrial looking) tubes and so.
It's just an old existing building not especially build for ideal dimensions, which authentic parts still are sight for most of it (so not that much sound isolation as normally adviced).

Only some is needed. Yeah you need some sound breaking ... curtains and carpet break too. Yeah you need some sound bending ... bed and table bend too. Yeah you need base traps ... never reminded how much bed sheets and a mattress, and spaces in and between furniture eat the to much base sound?
The rest (that you all need to buy to be perfect) is a myth. Fits within the 'much knobs and lights' and 'look what i all have' sections.

Ironically:
At the end they make us laugh with the regular highly amusing problem question topic: "I have done all to isolate everything and spend my savings and loans on it, but my music misses 'room' and body and sounds flat and death.....". :rolleyes: :laughings:

Ontopic:

Last edited:
Just to release the elephant in the room, well one would fit in that room. Not so much in a little bedroom.

To those of you guys that do not find the need for acoustic treatment, enjoy that. What works for one may not work for everyone. If the room works for you then that is your standard. No argument here.

Keep in mind that a 'recording' room is way different than a 'mixing' room. And by the way, just like 'what she said', 'size does matter'. :)

Abbey Road?

Designed room with correct wall x wall x ceiling ratios to stop nodes building up.
In the picture you can't see the ceiling with defusers & absorbers
The walls have slot absorbers built in.
Movable wall panels to adjust the acoustics between live and dead
The curtains are there to change the acoustic depending on what is being recorded.

Sure there is a couple of curtains :facepalm:

In my studio I have a very low frequency bass trap behind a single layer of gyprock wall, look like a wall, traps low bass.

Alan.

Look these vids. You can see that it's some portable walls within some kind of wide open storage hall (look at the sealing). ..
Lol. But those are big rooms! The OP has a 4 meter (12 foot) room with a 7-8 foot ceiling!

Clue; General stuff. Bigger rooms are -easier- -more tolerant, more forgiving than our 'bed rooms!
I get by in my pair of medium size rooms -with a mix of portable/flexible treatment. But don't tell me I can't still hear.. floor to ceiling bounce - resonance effects for example if not under the clouded section.
I'd die for that '20 foot or whatever it is ceiling ...and wall bounces 20-30 ms out! That's useful ambiance. And if you want it dry, you put up partitions. That's easy.
No such latitude in our small rooms.
We kill it, or live with the imprint'.

Having said all that...
View attachment 100228

In the above image, you will see a 16-meter room. The table's bedside table, wardrobe and speakers are marked. As you can see, with a regular arrangement and arrangement, you can have a rest room. There was also a studio for music.

deconik
Go for it!
We do with what we have :)
There's 'work arounds, and we figure it out as we go.
Then we get better, and do better.
And... we get to make music. :p

Last edited:
Still i say that there's no need for all the 'advices'.
A (bed)room has a lot of 'sound isolation' already within the building and by living decoration (curtains, furniture). That does much more already than you think and only needs some slight corrections to control it.

This guy can start within it's bedroom and experience how it's going. Could be simply be that it's right already. If not, try closing or opening the curtains or a window. If a wall bounces, hang a curtain or carpet on it. For vocals, make a corner.
Nothing otherwise than in a big hall. You need to control that what's not right. You don't need to do everything. Advice is always to do everything.

What's your goal? Produce good recordings? Or having lots of expensive gear and stuff?

Be sure to watch the warning at the beginning. :laughings:

And this is a fun one.

And this recording in a simple living most be impossible then? :laughings: (result at 2 min)

Last edited:
'Professional acoustic treatment' :facepalm: When you see 'acoustic foam' all over the place beware.

Yeah, you can make a dead space to record voice-overs. It'll tend to sound boxy, like this guy's stuff. The one with the sofa cushions sounded horrible. But if your MIXING ROOM doesn't have good treatment, you wont' be able to tell the difference. His space with foam and 5" KRK monitors? :p

Yeah right. And what about the 'living room recording'? Bad also? (i think i know the answer to come already :laughings: ) which is YES BAD

BTW, can place many songs made by 'highly extended studio' homerecorders which sound bad too, if i would.

Propaganda for expensive stuff? Off course no one will state that his expensive stuff was overdone and not needed. And some need that stuff to compensate lack off recording skills. OK to me if one likes 'knobs and lights' (but not my choise, i go for the result).
Learn about the studio's were 'new' bands recorded hits which gave them world fame for decades. Many would be surpriced.

But ok, i know this unwanted could open some eyes which is undesirable. So from now on i will say i worship the believe that only an expensive studio is sacred :yawn: and the rest sucks (nice 'compliment' for those here who have less than 'all' :laughings: ).

Oh lord... Just replying so I can follow.

"Some curtains on the walls...?" :facepalm:

Yeah...that made my day too. :p

I'm gonna shoot an email to Abbey Road Studios and see if I can find out where they bought their curtains so I can order some and have a professionally treated studio also.

:laughings:

Whatever. Let me know when George Martin is working in your bedroom.

Yeah i will if it comes that far, although i doubt it. :thumbs up: (btw, my studio isn't on my bedroom, but in the big attic)
Let me know if he is working in somebody elses homerecording studio from this forum. As if that chance is bigger. Like if he ever worked in a full of 'knobs and lights' studio from one overhere. :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

Yeah...that made my day too. :p

I'm gonna shoot an email to Abbey Road Studios and see if I can find out where they bought their curtains so I can order some and have a professionally treated studio also.

You can laugh whatever you want. You can see them hanging on the wall. You can see the carpets on the floor. Like you said, about all is thought well, so why those empty walls with tubes still on it, the carpets on the floor and the curtains on the walls? Because that's bad? You speak against yourself. :laughings:

Eej, don't forget we're talking about homerecording studio's here. Don't pretend to be a professional making ww hitsongs all the time (maybe on at most a hand full here are, but most not, i am not, and you off all for sure not)
Keep it real man. Stop dreaming and pretending. :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:
Give rational advices fit for the one asking. No fairytail advices.

Ontopic for this guy who needs to sleep were his studio will be:

Start. Work. Discover what's needed if something doesn't sound that well.
Solve that one problem and don't spend loads of money on 'wannabe-fairytail-advices'.

Last edited:
Good lord.... Enough already.

Anyone can make their own choices. Those that have found what the benefits of acoustic treatment are, give advice based on their personal results. There is nobody here trying to sell anyone anything...

If you feel your recordings are fine with pillows, curtains and furniture...Well then go with that. Your choice.

Claiming that those giving advice that have experience with acoustic treatment are blowing smoke up peoples asses is just not cool. Especially from someone who does not have the experience themselves.

Comparing apples to oranges here man. There is a huge difference between a 60 x 100' warehouse with 20' ceilings and a 13 x 12' bedroom with 7 to 8' ceilings. Totally different acoustics.

By the way, most acoustic treatments in 'modern' high end studios are not usually visible. Just because it looks like a solid wall does not mean it is...

Let's agree that different people have different levels of needs. The advice given for acoustic treatment is good here. Whether you choose to take it is your choice. Denying that it is relevant is more ignorance than desire to improve. Just sayin... Arguing about it is just silly IMO.

give advice based on their personal results.

I base my advice on personal results to.

Claiming that those giving advice that have experience with acoustic treatment are blowing smoke up peoples asses is just not cool. Especially from someone who does not have the experience themselves.

Who say's i've not experienced myself? Man i've done professional recordings to be on an album, and i've been in professional studio's many times (were big hitsongs were made).
Many times was at record labels (EMI for instance).
But i too heard many recordings made in bedrooms and livingrooms. Of which some even got on albums (afther mastering off course).
I've also heard recordings made with the most expencive gear and played on the most expensive instruments, but sounding like shit. :D
So who say's i'm not knowing what i'm talking about? :drunk:

By the way, most acoustic treatments in 'modern' high end studios are not usually visible. Just because it looks like a solid wall does not mean it is...

Like i said already. Many houses have (hidden) temperature isolation already, which isolates sound too. Why do double?
Why "you need this, and that, and also that, and..., but also..., must have...., and can't do without ...."?
Why not advice to at first look how far he comes, and then only supplement what is still needed then?

Btw, ever seen a serieus studio without curtains and carpets and movable walls?? Be honest eej!
So what's wrong with that advice?

Let's agree that different people have different levels of needs.

Yes please. I agree, but do others?
Tell those (each time the same) who each time yell to buy loads off unneeded stuff that it can be done otherwise with perfect results, and their 'holy truth' don't fit for everyone. Tell me if this ain't true and i will shut op for ever!!
My advice is as real and worthfull as that of anyone else and i won't exept to be made ridiculous and will react on that (like i do now).
It's not me who's repeating his mantra all the time and doesn't accept other also good opinions.

But i know quit well what is happening. :eatpopcorn: Some want to be one eye in the land of the blind. Lot's of knobs and lights to blind everyone.
Enough indeed. Gonna get me a beer and some nuts.

Last edited:
Still i say that there's no need for all the 'advices'.
[snip]
You don't need to do everything. Advice is always to do everything. ...
To inject a little perspective here;
No certainly you do not have to do everything.
But No it isn't, and no it wasn't.
For the most part it's pretty much all in the spirit of passing on helpful info -or how this stuff works.

You know, before one gets 'attuned recording, acoustics etc, we haven't noticed or experienced yet how very often radically different our 'ears hear things -live in the room- vs a mic, and the result of that being later played back.

Just for fun? Name the difference and why.
.. Not 'pointing that at you 42low, anyone of course may play. :D

'Free bee-
Do not respond with 'Because the mic wasn't near you ear'.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back