Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Use the bedroom and turn it into a home studio

Thanks

Use the bedroom and turn it into a home studio

Sign in to disable this ad
    room_sketch-jpg

In the above image, you will see a 16-meter room. The table's bedside table, wardrobe and speakers are marked. As you can see, with a regular arrangement and arrangement, you can have a rest room. There was also a studio for music.

deconik

Thanks
    But square rooms are terrible for acoustics. And where's the acoustic treatment?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    But square rooms are terrible for acoustics. And where's the acoustic treatment?
    It's there, on the drawing. Closet, bed, table, curtains, carpeting, perhaps an extra carpet.

I record in the attic with stacked stuff and sometimes the laundry drying, and i can tell you there's no better way to kill unwanted side tones than that. Although have to admit that the roof ain't square.
    Never seen the carpets on the floors and big curtains on walls in real studio's? It doesn't always have to cost huge piles of money.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 42low View Post
    It's there, on the drawing. Closet, bed, table, curtains, carpeting, perhaps an extra carpet.

I record in the attic with stacked stuff and sometimes the laundry drying, and i can tell you there's no better way to kill unwanted side tones than that. Although have to admit that the roof ain't square.
    Never seen the carpets on the floors and big curtains on walls in real studio's? It doesn't always have to cost huge piles of money.
    'Real studios' are designed with acoustics in mind - minimum parallel walls, no square rooms, ideal dimensions. Behind the curtains are rockwool insulation (panels or in the walls themselves). Carpet? Maybe in spots, but most studios wave wood flooring. None of the things you mention are acoustic treatment, they are 'making do without spending any money'. Sorry, just trying to help. I didn't believe trapping was the answer either - until I added a bunch in my room.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    'Real studios' are designed with acoustics in mind - minimum parallel walls, no square rooms, ideal dimensions.
    Ow man, that's such a myth.
    Look these vids. You can see that it's some portable walls within some kind of wide open storage hall (look at the sealing).

Exact like the many studio's i've seen. Square, hardly any sound isolation on the wall, wood walls.
    Indeed they have some corners made soundproof like for vocal recording while the main studio isn't that acoustically isolated at all.
    No you better not play in a total square empty hall, but many recording (professional famous hitsong) studio's don't have what homerecorders is adviced.

Don't forget that many (home recording ) houses have temperature isolation already, which does a big part for sound isolation already. Like my attic is (temperature) isolated with a wooden double ceiling.

[Full Movie] Metallica - making of Hardwired... To Self Destruct - YouTube

Thanks
    Ow man, that's such a myth.
    Look these vids. You can see that it's some portable walls within some kind of wide open storage hall (look at the sealing).

Exact like the many studio's i've seen. Square, hardly any sound isolation on the wall
    Ever took a good look at Abbay road studio's?
    Square big room in an old building. Some curtains and some on the walls, some sound breakers and benders, and not that much more. The Beatles too created some sound corners with some portable walls.
    Many building parts are still to be seen, like (industrial looking) tubes and so.
    It's just an old existing building not especially build for ideal dimensions, which authentic parts still are sight for most of it (so not that much sound isolation as normally adviced).

Only some is needed. Yeah you need some sound breaking ... curtains and carpet break too. Yeah you need some sound bending ... bed and table bend too. Yeah you need base traps ... never reminded how much bed sheets and a mattress, and spaces in and between furniture eat the to much base sound?
    The rest (that you all need to buy to be perfect) is a myth. Fits within the 'much knobs and lights' and 'look what i all have' sections.

Ironically:
    At the end they make us laugh with the regular highly amusing problem question topic: "I have done all to isolate everything and spend my savings and loans on it, but my music misses 'room' and body and sounds flat and death.....".

Ontopic:

Last edited by 42low; 08-24-2017 at 06:33.

Thanks
    Whatever. Let me know when George Martin is working in your bedroom.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just to release the elephant in the room, well one would fit in that room. Not so much in a little bedroom.

To those of you guys that do not find the need for acoustic treatment, enjoy that. What works for one may not work for everyone. If the room works for you then that is your standard. No argument here.

Keep in mind that a 'recording' room is way different than a 'mixing' room. And by the way, just like 'what she said', 'size does matter'.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    Oh lord... Just replying so I can follow.

"Some curtains on the walls...?"

Thanks
    Abbey Road?

Designed room with correct wall x wall x ceiling ratios to stop nodes building up.
    In the picture you can't see the ceiling with defusers & absorbers
    The walls have slot absorbers built in.
    Movable wall panels to adjust the acoustics between live and dead
    The curtains are there to change the acoustic depending on what is being recorded.

Sure there is a couple of curtains

In my studio I have a very low frequency bass trap behind a single layer of gyprock wall, look like a wall, traps low bass.

Alan.

Thread Information