Upstairs Studio Build - Pics

Awesome build, looks great, I love the desk! I'll bet it's isolated big time in there. Of course the things that make isolation great are the same things that make acoustic treatment hard.. How's it sound in there?

I envy you so much.... Cool room and great build. Is the allen and heath mixer a good mixer and can you use it as a contoller for sonar x1?

Thanks.....no need for envy though, you can build one yourself!!!! It cost about $2000 to finish out the room and I did all the work myself. I'm no great DIY'er either. I've only had the mixer for a couple of weeks, just bought it, so I can't say alot about it yet....it's quiet though and has a pretty good strip. I don't think it can be used as a controller for Sonar though.......will find out more later.

Cheers, I'm hoping to build a purpose built studio next summer in the back garden, Saving up at the moment. Really like your room, great thread. Well done.

Awesome build, looks great, I love the desk! I'll bet it's isolated big time in there. Of course the things that make isolation great are the same things that make acoustic treatment hard.. How's it sound in there?

Thanks alot. The desk is built in 3 pieces, had to do it that way to get it up the stairs and in the 2 doors. I tried as best I could to isolate......the floor is the weak point, you can hear the music down below in the garage. Very hard to do anything with an upstairs room.....the only thing I know to do is add MASS MASS MASS to the flooring, but then you sometimes get into a weight issue. Haven't ran any sound tests yet, have been too busy moving equipment in there and just enjoying being up there. I'm going to try to do some sound testing this weekend. Before I moved all the equipment in there it had some pretty bad early reflections. It sounds much better now that I have the equipment in there, but it will still need some work. I have 2 huge bundles of Roxul Safe 'N Sound to use for wall treatment, that is the next thing to do on the list.

Cheers, I'm hoping to build a purpose built studio next summer in the back garden, Saving up at the moment. Really like your room, great thread. Well done.

Well, when you get it done, be sure to post some pics......and good luck to you!

I finally finished this damn thing....only took 4 years!!!!! Here are some updated pics:

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished5.jpg

finished6.jpg

finished7.jpg

finished8.jpg

finished9.jpg

finished10.jpg

finished11.jpg

finished12.jpg

finished13.jpg

finished14.jpg

finished15.jpg

finished16.jpg

finished17.jpg

I have a dimmer switch for the track lighting....the lights were pretty dimmed in this pics, just to give it that sexy look :)

I was getting some bad reflection ringing until I put the panels on the back wall (and wall beside the door)....amazing how much just those three panels made. I went ahead and put panels on the sides and ceiling to catch any stray first-reflection bounce, but since the side walls are slanted, I wasn't getting alot of ring from them. Room is pretty well tamed now.

Thanks to all those who gave encouragement during this process.....a special thanks to CHRONICLE for his help.

Thanks. Got any pics of your studio? Understand completely about empty coffers.....maybe someday I'll find a less expensive habit :)

Very nice work, don't you think some more traps in the corners (wall-wall-wall-ceiling) would do some good?

Probably.....I ran Room EQ Wizard last night and it showed quite a bit of problems in the lower range.....it never ends does it? :)

This is a great thread and I'm definitely stealing some ideas for my attic build... My budget is a lot less than yours and there's already a lot of stuff already done (badly) but there's useful info for me all the same...
I have 3 sloping ceilings as opposed to your 2 and hatch&ladder access from the bedroom (the ladder drops me off on 'my side' of the bed). Standing room is central (semi-detached house) so there's 3 eaves that are unusable for studio purpose which will (and have to) be used for general storage (Xmas decor/camping gear/tools etc)

My desk will have to sit just off centre in the room, kinda half into on of the eaves...

I used RWA45 in the rafters and eaves, covered in plasterboard(drywall for the American crowd)

This is a great thread and I'm definitely stealing some ideas for my attic build... My budget is a lot less than yours and there's already a lot of stuff already done (badly) but there's useful info for me all the same...
I have 3 sloping ceilings as opposed to your 2 and hatch&ladder access from the bedroom (the ladder drops me off on 'my side' of the bed). Standing room is central (semi-detached house) so there's 3 eaves that are unusable for studio purpose which will (and have to) be used for general storage (Xmas decor/camping gear/tools etc)

My desk will have to sit just off centre in the room, kinda half into on of the eaves...

I used RWA45 in the rafters and eaves, covered in plasterboard(drywall for the American crowd)

Glad you got some ideas from this thread.....be sure to post some pics!

Glad you got some ideas from this thread.....be sure to post some pics!

Here's one from a few weeks ago (and my old Pops) and a couple from this evening.
Getting a carpet laid on the weekend and then I can move my stuff back into the house.
Just the baby's room to sort out now!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Back