Upright Piano - upstairs

keilson

I have an old upright piano which has great sound, but it is located upstairs from my studio. I was wondering if it is worth running cables upstairs, possibly through the floor. If I do this then I will probably need multiple mic cables, as well as a monitor line for headphones correct? The whole would have to be pretty large I guess.

If the stairs are not too far from the studio and piano, you can try first with cascading some cables... Get some XLR cables. For the heaphones, by some adaptorplugs that allow you to use XLR's in between you 1/4" plugs...

Unless you really think you gonna record it alot... Then go ahead and drill that hole. Look around for multicable. And do it right the first time, make a breakoutbox at both sides, and add enough mic lines. I would say at least 4 mic lines and a monitor line. This way, you will also be able to record duos with piano etc...

Thanks for quick reply Roel. Good idea to make sure that it has breakoutbox on both sides, just in case. I'm not sure if I'll be using it a lot, so for now I'll just run up the stairs. I just gotta go shopping for longer cables and boxes. The house is split level, so I end up running it up 2 sets of stairs. Thanks for the help once again.
- Jon

Don't shop for too long cables... I rather cascade 2 XLR's of 6m than use one of 10m. Too long cables are unhandy...

If you really want too buy long cables, I'd suggest you look into small multi's. With 8 pairs or something. Might come in alot more handy as 3 very long cables...

good point, thanks. Do they make multi boxes with multiple xlr and 1/4"? Where is best place to get it?

I have no idea where to get them... And besides, I'm in Europe. ;)

Get one with XLR's for sure. You can get adaptorplugs to use one of the lines fot 1/4". Or make some adaptorcables yourself!

Yeah, they're called snakes. You can get them at any decent pro audio shop or any mail order place. they are available from 50 to 100 feet long, with anywhere from 8 to 24 XLR mic lines, and with 1/4" send and return lines. Typical would be 8 XLR, 2 or 4 1/4" send/returns, up to 24 XLR/4 or 8 sends.

Sounds like a 50 footer might be just right for your needs. This one (attached pix) is from samash.com - 8 x 4, $173 - snakes aren't cheap, but you could use it live also or sell it if you changed your mind... Steve

Attachments

• procosnake.jpg
    procosnake.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 21
thanks for the responses. I knew what a snake was I just didnt know you could get them with both xlr and 1/4". I wonder if they make smaller one's than that. I'll have to look around.

one more thing....If I decided to run the cable for permanent use, could the cable detach from the box on a snake? I'm trying to keep the hole small, but if I even just run all the xlr's through it then I will need a larger hole.

Depends on how well you can solder, and what your patience level is... Generally, a snake with a breakout box (normally only on one end, the other end fans out to connect to the board) has the connections hard soldered to the panel mount connectors in the box, then some sort of strain relief arrangement where the cable goes thru the box wall. I've not seen shorter than 50 foot or smaller than 8 mics on a snake with the breakout, but I guess if you were desperate you could make one - you'd need to go to a different kind of place for multi-conductor audio wire - maybe here -

http://www.clarkwc.com/

I've used them before, not shysters or anything... Steve

keilson said:
one more thing....If I decided to run the cable for permanent use, could the cable detach from the box on a snake? I'm trying to keep the hole small, but if I even just run all the xlr's through it then I will need a larger hole.

if you get an 8 ch snake, you are going to have to make a hole at least an inch in diameter. this would give you enough space to run the xlr male ends through one at a time til all 8 are through. then you can pull the cable as a whole. (no pun intended)

Yeah, no big deal there - if it's your own place, holes in walls are negotiable between you and the boss. If you cut a hole big enough for XLR's, just be sure to caulk around it once it's in place, with flexible caulk, either silicone (get the 50-year stuff, they lie) or Butyl if it's available. That would be easier than soldering all those wires, and not that much difference in the size of the hole... Steve

Back