under-stair vocal booth?

randumbdots...

I'm considering turning the triangular space beneath my basement stairs into a recording booth. It's tall enough to stand up in easily for vocals, and I think it should be usable.

Does anyone who has built a booth out of this kind of space have any lessons learned to share in terms of finishing the space, where to put sound dampening given the shape, orienting the mic/performer, etc. Right now, the diagonally descending-backward ceiling and one side wall are sheet rocked, the back and other wall are unfinished frame, the "entrance" is open, and the floor is bare concrete.

Thanks.
'Dots...

I didn't answer right away because I had to really think about this... and to be honest, I'm still not sure what the answer is going to be - whether its useful or not.

But, because of the small space, I'd still recommend packing it with rigid fiberglass in the walls etc.

I'd also try to keep the slant of the overhead stairs behind the vocalist, so that any reflected sound off the wall they are facing goes back, then down towards the floor. I'd leave the floor as-is until you finish the rest of it, and see how it sounds. You might have to treat that as well, but that's going to be more complex.

hallway

I'm hardly an expert, but... in a previous apartment, I used a 2nd bedroom as a "studio", and found that the hallway outside had great natural reverb. So I recorded vocals in the hallway. The floor was tile, walls just regular apartment drywall. So, who knows, your stairwell might work.

Rob

thanks

Frederick, at 2000+ posts, mostly helping others I bet, you have got to have some serious positive karma going on. May your recordings benefit! Thanks!

And, yeah, Rob, when I've done some test vox down there (mainly so my wife can hear how audible they were on the 2nd floor where sleeping kids will be), I did a notice a nice but subtle latent reverb. It'll be interesting to see how recordings sound when my mic preamp and laptop sound card get here..... I haven't recorded anything yet - can't wait to get started. I really appreciate the tips.

I used to get fairly regular voiceover work from a video production guy who converted an understair space into a vocal booth.
The slope of the stairwell was behind me, and I faced the long wall, or base of the triangle. There was a small video monitor into the control room for synching to the video image, as well as audio playback. Foam on the walls - can't remember about the floor.
I did a lot of VO in that booth - certainly not the most elegant studio I've ever tracked in, but the final project always sounded great - maybe the guy just had mad mixing skills. Of course, my vocals for commercials & industrials were less demanding than recording music, but that funky little studio sure did the job.
Sayyy.....I should call that guy.............. ;)

One of my very good friends who has his own studio has a vocal booth under the stairs. It works great. It's very well treated though.

Chris

same here

i am also trying to build a vocal booth under my stairs.. what should i put on the walls? also would this be suitable for acoustic instruments? :confused:

thanks & a couple follow-up questions

Thanks for all the tips & anecdotes!

Frederic, you said rigid fiberglass (the ...703 stuff I've read about I assume) IN the walls. Do you mean behind a layer of sheetrock, or would it work better covered in cloth in front of a layer of sheet rock and maybe use normal fluffy insulation between the studs inside the walls behind the sheetrock?

Second question: The two parallel side walls are about 4 feet apart. Will the rigid fiberglass work fine to eliminate standing waves, or should I throw up an off-angle panel or maybe something to disperse sound in different directions? I have several extra lengths of dense foam pipe insulation that might work for dispersal, and then there this old less dense foam mattress pad I could tack up as an extra treatment. Or I guess I could buy something (but I'd like to Macgyver as much of this as possible to keep the cost down).

Thanks again!
Chris

frederic said:
I'm over 2000 posts already? Damn I talk too much!

Ummm.... duh! :) :p

The good thing is at least 1/8 of those had useful information ;) hahahahaha KIDDING!!!

Velvet Elvis

Back