Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to identify an intermittent noise caught by instruments pickups

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Haha! Yeah, I do get some serious noise on stage sometimes, but I just keep my hands on the instrument and roll with it.

Thanks
    Is that a Fender, bluesfordan? Mine is a Lakland :P The original pickguard was white, but a friend of mine made the tortoiseshell one I have on it right now. Gotta admit it looks cooler now!
    Last edited by CPacaud; 07-09-2019 at 15:39.

Thanks
    So - more tests. Using another interface changed nothing (a UR22 mkII), same result, powered through the USB port, or the 5V DC power input. Settings in Cubase didn't change anything (of course).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CPacaud View Post
    Is that a Fender, bluesfordan? Mine is a Lakland :P The original pickguard was white, but a friend of mine made the tortoiseshell one I have on it right now. Gotta admit it looks cooler now!
    Squier by Fender, so it's sort of a Fender I like the paint job on yours, and yes, a tort pickguard just looks so right on it.

Thanks
    Wait, I just figured it out. You're one of the unfortunate people with an AAP (Alien Anal Probe) that was sourced from a subpar supplier after the great distribution chain disruption caused by the 1987A Supernova. The Greys were almost forced to terminate their catch tag and release program when they decided to take a chance with the Epsilon Indi group in spite of their dodgy reputation.

Could be worse, spontaneous combustion is one of the more drastic results of AAP failure.

Thanks
    From where I stand at this point, it's as valid a theory as any other haha ‾\_(ツ)_/‾

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Mastercraft Digital 7-Function Multimeter | Canadian Tire

PLEASE! Get one of the above! You can find cheaper but WTGR you don't seem strapped?

You ask "What is bonding and how do I check it?" The bond is an electrical connection, bit o wire, between the metal bridge and the earth in the pickup cavity, often soldered to the back of a pot (a practice I deplore)

How to check it? You can't really without a meter! Really, I do despair of musicians that use electrical gear! HTF do you test pedal batteries? Polarity of a PSU? Cable integrity FCS!

Dave.

Thanks
    Sure, that does seem handy to have! To answer your question about how do I check stuff, I don't! And then knowledgeable people like you make your learn new things, and then you do I've never been a "technical" person, so I've never really caught up with how to keep my equipment in shape on an electrical level. It's scary stuff!

So, if I may, what do you recommend I check with the meter, roughly? 'Cause it's great if I get one, but I won't really know what do with it (yeah I can read up online, and I will, but you get what I mean).

Thanks for the link, there happens to be a shop nearby that probably have those - but at this point I'm on the verge of calling it quits, honestly. I'm about to head out to get a power conditioner unit to see if that does the trick.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CPacaud View Post
    Sure, that does seem handy to have! To answer your question about how do I check stuff, I don't! And then knowledgeable people like you make your learn new things, and then you do I've never been a "technical" person, so I've never really caught up with how to keep my equipment in shape on an electrical level. It's scary stuff!

So, if I may, what do you recommend I check with the meter, roughly? 'Cause it's great if I get one, but I won't really know what do with it (yeah I can read up online, and I will, but you get what I mean).

Thanks for the link, there happens to be a shop nearby that probably have those - but at this point I'm on the verge of calling it quits, honestly. I'm about to head out to get a power conditioner unit to see if that does the trick.
    Get the meter then PM me with the model. Better a link to the .pdf manual. Then I shall give you chapter&verse!

Dave.

Thanks
    I've nothing to add but it's nice to see that there's still English speaking people living in Quebec! Especially Quebec City. God I miss living in Montreal.

Born and raised in Montreal,
    Timbo

Thread Information