Treatment Puzzle in bedroom hobby studio

kwmcgreal

Hello Everyone!
After not being able to build a studio from ground up I decided to set up my equipment in my bedroom to record and mix my productions.
It has been a fun puzzle figuring out where to put everything in this space!
I am more concerned with removing flutter echo and adding clarity to my recordings than getting perfect mixing conditions as I can always send tracks out to get mastered if I really want to, although I will set the space to make my mixes as balanced as possible

It is a small space with some restrictions and I wanted to fish out for suggestions on setup and treatment as I believe it will probably need a fair amount of it. I am willing to invest as much as I need to make this a workable recording space.

The space is roughly 9 1/2' x 11' x 7 1/6' with a 1' bump in for the door the the left of the wall my production station is situated and a 48"x20"x71" closet on the right (See drawing for better dimensions)

I am planning to put a large panel diffuser against the wall above the workstation and adding sound absorbers on the closet doors wall by bed and dragon

Restrictions:
-No covering the dragon - I might be able to get away with a bass trap in the upper corner that snaps on. I can put one behind my chair. Panels will have to go next to the head and down towards door
-Speakers can't really come out anymore due to door. I might be able to move them out an inch or two
Also I thought about putting an acoustic panel on the main door but that would bump the speak even more and those adams were expensive!
-Nothing on the ceiling
-Ascetically pleasing - I sleep in here so don't want it too crowded. I will only be using colorful panels and was thinking of a nice block wood diffuser

Questions:
-Diffuser? Acoustic Panels? Traps? What is going to be the most effective?
-Treatment placement in general; Should I worry about the corners by either closet door? what about the space above the white closet? What about the back window - Is there a way to manage the first reflection on that small space?
-Is there a better way to set up my speakers besides moving them out further?

Thank you so much for any suggestions!
This has been a fun project and I will keep you all posted on it's progress!

Kevin M

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2350.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
Welcome Kevin!

Wow, tight space... You are really limited to what you have ability to do.

Flutter echo it easy in the high end. Likely foam treatments (yikes did I say that) might help in this space. You would need so much thick broadband absorption/bass traps in this room, that you would not be able to walk in it.

Forget completely about the diffuser thing. That only worth your time in a larger studio space. Your biggest issue is going to be low end buildup everywhere.

A7x? Love mine!

You may need to just do what you can as far as treatment, and mix at low volumes. Good set of headphones and test mixes outside of the space until you find what your room is telling you.

It tough in such a small room man. But that being said, I did mix a record in a 11x8x12 room once due to construction with the A7x. It can be done. You just have to know what your room is doing and how to compensate.

Best!

Rats, I actually really liked the look of some of those diffusers

Would something like a gik acoustic absorber panel work for echo control? I dont think I can post links here but they are the Impression series ones on GIK Acoustics website. I really liked the look of those ones - Also some colorful hexagon ones on other sites

I really don't like the look and feel of the foam panels - and the colors suck

I can get some small bass traps for all the upper corners and corner by the bed and behind the chair
Should I try and get every corner including the one by the bump out? (Door with mirror)

Once again, my main concern is recording clear audio
I can mix the bass low if that is going to be my main concern

and yes! Adam A7x

Thank you for your reply!

JImmy already mentioned the first two things I was going to suggest - headphones and no diffusor panels.

Foam is cheaper, but understand that if you have the $$$ you can't go wrong with GIK products. Many here built their own rockwool absorption panels (much cheaper). You can use 2" thick panels for your side traps. Corners should be at least 4" thick (or 'superchunks').

What are you recording in there (what instruments/vocals)? If only vocals, you can arrange two 4" panels into a V and sing into those, this absorbs the first reflections, leaving less to bounce around and get back to the mic..

I sing, rap, play trombone, trumpet, cello, ukulele, kalimba and various percussion instruments. So a pretty wide variety of recording.
I was thinking of turning the closet into a mini recording booth for vocal. It isn't really big enough to walk in and close the door but I can open it and sing into it

So the jist so far: no diffuser (waste of money for this size room?), and stick with panels/traps for treatment. How much of my open walls and corners should I cover?
And with the rockwool absorbers is that for bass traps that you are referencing?

any other suggestions?

I am still not sure exactly how is best to position everything but I am still researching

I appreciate all this feedback!

Rockwool = bass traps. As much as you can get in there. Small rooms seldom have good acoustics. Singing in a closet usually sounds boxy.

You do have some room for some custom built broadband absorbers. Don't forget that ceiling to wall is also a possibility for bass traps.

The problem is the layout of the room. Balance as a proper mixing room is skewed in your space as 'symmetry' is the goal for being able to hear correctly. That being said, you can do some things to help with your monitoring environment. Not going to be perfect, but worth at least finding the best for the limited situation.

Do you have DIY skills? That would be best if you were able to custom build some things.

You will be hard pressed to find production bass traps that will fit your space.

If I lived near you, I could help more.

I would say start with the basics-meaning spot treatment for flutter echo. And go from there.

Wow you guys are so nice!
I have people with many DIY skills so custom built is what I was planning for bass traps - I was planning on buying regular acoustic panels because there are really beautiful ones out there and it would save time.

How would a broadband absorber be made? and where would those go?

Would bass traps work for absorbing the upper frequencies of like a trumpet or high stringed instrument - I want to make sure I find a balance that maximizes what potential I have without sacrificing ascetics of the environment. If I load the place up with thick bass traps that wouldn't leave much useable space for higher frequency panels (is this where broadband comes in?)

In terms of the closet I was thinking of having the inside heavily lined in panels just opening the door and singing or playing towards it while still being a couple feet away

Also I could take the chair out and put a few large standing panels in front of the dragon corner and have that be the recording area. Even with out this as the recording area could it still be useful? and what type of panels would I use? - these ones could potentially be fairly thick

In terms of mixing balance (for what I can get...) I am wondering what problems the window/wall presents as a point of first reflection (maybe this isnt a problem). Would standing panels in the dragon corner help mitigate that or should i get some special curtain and line a skinny bass trap along the small space to the ceiling? or maybe build a large hanging panel that I put up during mixing and recording... so many fun options - of course storage space becomes and issue but I do have a little under the bed still and eventually some in the closet if I can convince my wife I can use it:)

Should I plan on getting panels to cover the wall next the the bed/book shelf, the wall by the mirror door/dragon head, and the wall above the work station?
How much of the corners and ceiling edges should I cover?

Should I worry about the box of space above the white closet? She didnt want me to change the altar (alter the altar hehe) up there but maybe I could do a little concealed thing if deem useful. I figured it probably wouldnt affect sound much due to its size and height, maybe even diffuse a little.

Back