Treatment for Detached Studio Build

int

All -

Attached is a floor plan with dimensions of a detached studio I am moving into early next year. I have 2 layers of interior drywall (with green glue in between, attached to 2x4 framing, batt insulation, then a stucco exterior on the N, S, and West interior walls. The isolation room also has the double drywall on the interior. I'm hoping this keeps the neighbors to the west and south happy. Their closest walls are probably >30 ft away, but our property sits above theirs so our block fencing doesn't help. I have yet to get my bass amp and drum set in the room to test, and will add another drywall layer if necessary. That's a running concern I hope we have alleviated, so may circle back on that later.

I'm preparing for move-in in January, and plan on using this room as a home recording studio, occasional movie room/man cave, and sometimes my daughter can move the furniture to the sides for a dance room with her dance studio friends.

My initial plan was to put a TV and speakers on the west wall, guitars and basses + amps on the north wall, and a studio desk on the south wall (with 88-keyboard, PC monitor, Yamaha HS80Ms, and racks under and to the sides of the desk). I'd like to prioritize making great recordings/mixes over the movie experience. I am jazz-trained on bass & trumpet, played in punk/metal bands in my teens and 20s, shifted to family and work life at 30, and am able to start enjoying myself at 41. Sometimes I just want to record me and an acoustic guitar. If layers on that are appropriate, so be it. Sometimes I'd like to record me and a friend on guitars, or one of us on drums and we'll layer instruments from there. I'd love to record a full band again but I'm not expecting to record drums with a dimed 4x10 Marshall in the same room or anything like that (I can solve for that another time). The space is supposed to be an area to create and record ideas quickly and easily, and ultimately I'd like to be able to mix effectively. I never enjoyed touring, but the songwriting process and recording/producing is where I enjoy spending my time.

My questions are: Where do I put my gear, and how do I treat this room?

I want to get the room treatment right before spending money on gear, but wading through the Internet's advice ... sucks. Conflicts and hypocrisy are everywhere, leading to confusion. I'm no stranger to a workshop and can build some traps with OC 703 and the like, can measure the room with an omni and sine wave generators, am no stranger to math, and can play bass/guitar and walk the room (once we move in). I don't like solving for problems I don't know exist, but I am concerned the door locations will limit bass trapping, I have been advised to use the west wall for the recording desk (instead of the south wall), and I need to budget the treatment options while entering the holiday season. Exactly how much in hardware store gift cards should I be targeting? :D

After typing this out, maybe I am getting ahead of myself? I'm certainly anxious to get to work so that's part of it. Thanks ahead for your thoughts.

Attachments

• 20201208 Music Studio.png
    20201208 Music Studio.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 10
Yes, you are kind of screwed with that design because in your main space you have no room for good corner trapping. Building 'superchunks' of OC in each corner is the best method. Also, your desk should ideally be positioned more-or-less in the center of a short wall (actually several feet out from it).
I guess this is already built, with the walls as shown for bathroom and stairs? That really does limit you.
Standard 4" stud walls with insulation will not make the room soundproof, but maybe the neighbors are not that big a concern?

Back