Treating my Basement Humanely

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
Hey guys,

Let me start by saying Ethan is the best.

Let me continue by addressing the thread name. I have my equipment set up in my basement. The dimensions are kind of crazy since I'm not sure what to consider a boundary but the basement is essentially about 35 by 25 feet and about 8 feet tall. Unfinished wooden ceiling, concrete walls, and tile floor. A pretty live room.

My basement is basically filled with junk, dressers,closets, and desks .. very cluttered. I am trying to understand the best way to set things up, given these conditions.

I am investing in some 703 panels. Going to try and set them up to create a better stereo image from the listening position. I also have the freedom to move things around (im 21, not exactly MY basement!:eek:). So want to put my set up center of the wide wall (lengthwise is not an option with stair case and big shelves).

The problems I have with the listening environment are the stereo image and more importantly the bass freq's. Anything that would start to be considered deep bass is barely audible from my listening position. Also, at the listening position I am uncomfortable with the early reflections, I believe it is making mid range and high freq's hard to truly diagnose. I feel like I cant really hear whats going on in the low end ... and that more than anything makes me uncomfortable with my listening environment. It's not even tricking me that the audio sounds good ... it's very sterile yet messy sounding if I could describe it.

I guess I am looking for direction, or if I'm going in the right direction. I want to feel comfortable listening where I am and I know I'm not. My Krk's are disgusted of how bad the room makes them sound:eek:, they and myself are pleading for your direction.

Thanks , Eric..

... I'm going to go read more on ethan's acoustic page.

yup...

I think I'd start with the bass traps in the corners to the left and right of your mixing desk.

and get a lava lamp. :D

Thanks for the replies.

Two more things...

Any links for DIY bass traps?

Would monitor decouplers actually make a noticeable improvement?

Back